PDA

View Full Version : Are Dixon zero turns any good?

JacksonLwnCare
02-23-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm a newbie to the lawn care business and I'm needing some advice. I'm looking at buying a Dixon Ram with a 50" deck and a 22 briggs. Is Dixon a reliable brand?

TheOctagon
02-23-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm a newbie to the lawn care business and I'm needing some advice. I'm looking at buying a Dixon Ram with a 50" deck and a 22 briggs. Is Dixon a reliable brand?

Is this a brand new model??? How many lawns are you mowing? how much do you plan on expanding? I think a lot of people dislike the dixons on here but honestly for a starter mower i think it wouldnt be too bad at all. Around here the seem to leave a pretty nice cut. Are you getting a good deal or what made you choose dixon?

castlerockmo
02-23-2010, 09:40 PM
I have a Dixon and i love it. The ram is just an estate type mower large resi. dixon was bought by husqvarna group, I have a husqvarna that is the sister to that machine. I would stay away from the briggs though I have heard bad things about them. But all in all I love my Dixon and husqvarna. If you have any questions you could always ask JimQ he works for husqvarna group at the plant in Beatrice Ne. But if you can get an Kodiak for close to the samr price I would get it before the ram.

JacksonLwnCare
02-23-2010, 09:42 PM
The guy said it runs perfect and it has been sitting in storage for the last 2 years because he has been in the military. He said he only wants two thousand for it and its five years old. I'm not cutting any yards yet. I just started my business. I'm not sure about how much I plan on expanding. I will probably cut yards with it at first until I can save enough to buy a nice commercial.

castlerockmo
02-23-2010, 09:46 PM
my husqvarna ez5221 started me off and I still run it. I am a HUGE husqvarna fan. from blowers, trimmers to mowers. I have never had a problem with them. two thousand may be a little high. I want to say new that machine is like 3500-4000. could be way off though.

JacksonLwnCare
02-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Everything I have bought so far is Husqvarna. They only thing that wont be a husky will be my zero turn( can't afford it yet). Do you guys have any tips on how I could check the mower when I see it to ensure that it is good mechanically.

TheOctagon
02-23-2010, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=JacksonLwnCare;3433589]I'm a newbie to the lawn care business and I'm needing some advice. I'm looking at buying a Dixon Ram with a 50" deck and a 22 briggs. Is Dixon a reliable brand?

I would offer 1500 and see where it goes. I think 2000 is maybe a little high but could be in absolutely perfect condition. I think it would be a really good starter mower in any event. Either that or use your 2 grand as a down payment on a little more professional mower in that size. Do you know aproximate hours?

JacksonLwnCare
02-23-2010, 10:07 PM
He said he used it for 2 seasons and it doesnt have an hour meter on it. He is supposed to be sending me some pics of it and I'll post them so I can get yall's opinion. He said the only thing that shows any wear is the arm rest so we'll see.

castlerockmo
02-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Everything I have bought so far is Husqvarna. They only thing that wont be a husky will be my zero turn( can't afford it yet). Do you guys have any tips on how I could check the mower when I see it to ensure that it is good mechanically.

The only thing I could think of would be the spindels. I think it has aluminum spindels, thats the only think that i had problem with on mine. The bearings would seze up, and one time the shaft went through the side of the spendle case. but that one was my guys fault. if that mower had cast iron spendles it would be great. That deck is a good deck to cuts really well. mine has a kawi on it not the briggs, so I wouldnt know what to expect there. If it dont have many hours should be ok.

JacksonLwnCare
02-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I'm kinda scared of the briggs. Arent they only rated for 550 hours?

castlerockmo
02-23-2010, 10:25 PM
My Dealer said they are somewhere around 500, 550. He said the kohler command pro i think is around 1500 and the kawi was around 2000. I just bought my dixon kodiak in November and i got the same kawi on it. I really like em, they good mowers with a good warranty and a good price. I want to get the new dixon Grizzley(husqvarna Pz) that just came out this fall. It looks like that mower is going to turn a lot of heads. I went to a lawn and garden show last weekend up here in Springfield mo and a dealer had the new yazoo-kees max3 there(pz) and thats too is a good looking machine.

JacksonLwnCare
02-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it.

Hawg City Lawns
02-23-2010, 11:36 PM
dixons are all in all pretty great machines i have a 2008 kodiak 21hp kawasaki with the 52" deck and its done the job and some rough ones at that the newer model dixon deck leaves a good cut i havent really figured out the best blades for summer mowing i just use the gator fusions they mulch up everything but have a little choppier cut but i do recommend those blades dixons are great mowers just not to many people run them so not to many people can give you an honest answer im pretty sure the ram has the "turnbuckle" leveling system which is sort of weird doesnt have any chains so makes leveling kind of interesting the briggs els is a fair engine theyre on several comparable models such as the grasshopper 100 series i havent had any luck with them i actually blew one up on a husqvarna rider but that was a 21hp to be honest $2000 seems like a fair price but make sure to look it over check the hydros and hoses thats a pretty tight fit under that seat so its possible for some of those things to rub against something but if you buy it im sure youll be pleased with it

Jason Rose
02-23-2010, 11:52 PM
5 years old would be pre-husqvarna. It's a real Dixon.

The RAM series was pretty much the same as the old 5023 models I ran for years. I put probably 6,000+ hours total spread over 3 of them.

The 50" deck (Dixon) is pretty decent. They cut good if you have them adjusted right. I never cared for the RAM models just because of the deck height adjuster, and once I got used to larger drive tires and a larger frame mower I realized just how badly the dixon models like that will beat u to death.

I would't worry too much about the "rated" hours for an engine. Though I don't like briggs either, I think you can get more than 500 hrs out of them. They just don't have as much "power" and torque as kohler or kawi the same size.

JacksonLwnCare
02-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the advice Hawg. I need all I can get. I'll post the pics tommorrow and yall can tell me what yall think about it.

Hawg City Lawns
02-24-2010, 12:05 AM
no problem ill help you as much as i can

btw castle rock whos yalls dixon dealer up there my dealer down here closed up shop which nobody saw coming i have another dealer around but havent stopped by or anything im just thinking back up plans

JimQ
02-24-2010, 10:00 AM
no problem ill help you as much as i can

btw castle rock whos yalls dixon dealer up there my dealer down here closed up shop which nobody saw coming i have another dealer around but havent stopped by or anything im just thinking back up plans

If you're looking for a back up plan, don't forget, you can always PM me and I'll do my best to help you out from this end.

Q

castlerockmo
02-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Loftis in Ozark. he really good and good prices usually below msrp. I LIKE HIM ALOT

castlerockmo
02-28-2010, 10:12 PM
jackson did you buy you ram?