PDA

View Full Version : Glass Rail System

Crusher Run
02-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Hey guy's. Anybody have any experience with glass railing system. I was looking at the ones on railingworks . com They look very attractive, and I need a rail to complete my patio. I haven't got a quote, but I'm guessing they cost and arm and leg. Man! I like the look a lot.

PaperCutter
02-24-2010, 01:30 PM
A client of mine has lexan panels as a deck rail system. I won't go out there in high winds, after almost taking a panel in the head. Every time there are high winds, one or two panels pop loose. I wouldn't want to install a glass railing system on a patio unless I was able to get the posts solidly anchored really deep to handle wind loading.

Crusher Run
02-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Hmm Yes. Wind may be an issue. One side would be exposed to fairly steady winds. I'm sure I have gusts of over 30-40mph occasionally. I was thinking of just using hardware to screw into the glued caps on the retaining wall. When the railing system is assembled it should act as a structure to resist wind force.
It looks like the frames are made of extruded aluminum.

Dirt Boy
02-25-2010, 07:09 PM
Not sure what exactly you mean by screwing into whatever, but don't screw through lexan, as it will crack around the hole, just my experience from mfg. plant. Needs a cushion type gasket or frame to hold it.

Regards

Crusher Run
02-26-2010, 09:45 AM
There framed 1/4 tempered safety glass. The rail system is aluminum. I would screw the posts in to the capstone of the retaining wall.
I don't know if that would be sturdy enough. I guess I could anchor it to the last course of stone and cut the caps to fit around it. That wouldn't be as "clean" as I'd like. I'm going for a polished high-end look.

Any one ever use a product like this? What are you thoughts or suggestions for a patio rail system?

Crusher Run
02-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Here's what my patio looks like now. There is 54" drop off the back side!!

PaperCutter
02-26-2010, 03:53 PM
I think that's asking a lot of the adhesive holding the caps on.