PDA

View Full Version : High Tech Hub

jshimmin
02-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Found this on a subdivision entrance we're doing. This was the "enclosure" used for a junction on some UF. It's a tube of silicone cut in half with the wire nuts placed up inside it.

It's not the worst thing we've found there so far.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-23-2010, 10:30 PM
You have to give them some points for inventiveness.

Around here we have a contractor who uses Marrette 333's and then fills them with silicone. (no this doesn't work) All this effort, mess, and ineffectiveness to save a few cents per connection.

Pro-Scapes
02-23-2010, 10:32 PM
At least an attempt was made to protect it. I usually come across wirenuts with electrical tape.

RLI Electric
02-23-2010, 10:35 PM
I found a baby food jar once inside a fluorescent light fixture with taped connections. I think the jar was UL listed

sal rodriguez
02-23-2010, 11:29 PM
the phone company uses a setup similar to that around here in california. It's a plastic bottle with epoxy in it. cut off the top; and insert wires. wait till dry and bury in ground or in a valve box with the phone company name on it.

sal

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-24-2010, 08:54 AM
... phone company ... epoxy in it....wait till dry .....
sal

Its that 'wait til dry' thing that kills me. :laugh: Only an employee would consider this a good use of time!

If this was a Union shop I'm sure they would push for the use of a slow cure silicone or resin & hardener. :laugh:

Lite4
02-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Its that 'wait til dry' thing that kills me. :laugh: Only an employee would consider this a good use of time!

If this was a Union shop I'm sure they would push for the use of a slow cure silicone or resin & hardener. :laugh:

Ha, Unions! :laugh: You took the words right out of my mouth James.

RLI Electric
02-24-2010, 09:50 AM
I worked for the phone company down here for a bit. They would start one of those splices right at the end of the day so they can wait till dry while reading a magazine on overtime. Most ridculous waste of time and money you have ever seen.

RLDesign
02-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Hello Bob,

That sounds really productive. Thanks for the call yesterday. My phone died. Please call me anytime you need anything or have more time to talk. We have jobsite Olympics to keep our guys tuned up through the season: speed crawling on knees is one event (like under a crawlspace), speed of perfect stripping (of wires), and trenching 50 ft. with the 4" hand trencher (sandy soils). We compete as individuals and race on jobsites. It keeps things fun and gets stuff done.

Take your next team and have a challenge. Offer lunch as reward. It really gets boring on jobsites unless we make it fun!!

Talk soon.

Tanek
Reynolds Lighting

JoeyD
02-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Thats awesome Tanek! lol

S&MLL
02-24-2010, 03:40 PM
I keep a wiffle ball and bat on the truck for lunch time.

Classic Lighting
02-24-2010, 03:52 PM
I hand out quizzes about voltage drop and photometrics. If the employee passes, they get a congratulatory handshake and I tell them to get back to work.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Seeing as my installers and I seem to pack on the pounds each and every winter season I am looking into giving them a 4 month gym membership for winter 2010/11 as a perk. I will probably have to tie on some type of $ per visit incentive to make sure they go 3x a week.

This should help to reduce the 5-6 week "getting back into shape" period that we go through each April.