PDA

View Full Version : Rubber track skid steer

matthewslandscape
02-23-2010, 09:45 PM
This is our 4th year in the landscape design-build business. Up to this point we have always rented skid steers but I find myself using them all the time now and we are ready to buy our own. The local rental we always use the Bobcat 190 but I recently used a ASV with joy sticks and liked it much better. Ive never used a tractor smaller than the bobcat so my question is are they worth it. I would like to the strongest smallest tractor that I can get. The heavest thing we would move around would be grass. Typical weight here is 2000-2500 depending on how wet it is. Any advise would be nice. Thanks for your help.

matthewslandscape
02-23-2010, 09:53 PM
I should have stated that Im looking at a ASV posi track rc50. is this a goo tractor?

6x6man
02-25-2010, 01:56 AM
I love my (2004) ASV RC-60. I believe the only difference between the RC-50 and 60 is that the turbo on the 60 adds the 10hp. I purchased it used about two years ago with 1200 hrs on the clock, RC-60 enclosed cab & heat, smooth 60" bucket, 66" tooth bucket and forks came with it. I paid $16,500 at the time. My tracks are original and show plenty of wear, but I have not had any issues with them jumping off, so I'm going to run them as long as possible (they are very expensive to replace, I've been told you can figure $4K - $5k by the time you replace a few idler wheels too.)

I now have just under 1500 hrs on the clock. (No, I'm not a commercial contractor.) Prior to owning the RC-60, I've always used old 2wd farm tractors with front end loaders. The RC-60 blows them away. I've gone through mud and snow that I wouldn't even dream of taking one of those tractors through. Every time I use my RC-60, I come in the house and tell my wife how much I love that machine.

Now, back to your point. When I was looking for a skid loader, I insisted on a unit that had 100% hand controls, no foot pedals, (I wear a brace on my left leg so I can't move my left ankle.) When I first test drove the RC-60 with the CAT pilot controls, it felt so natural, left hand controlling all forward/reverse/turn functions of the machine, and the right hand controlling the up/down and tip/curl functions of the bucket. I then test drove a Case skid steer. I could not get the hang of the Case controls function. I don't know, maybe this is a left brain/right brain thing. I didn't grow up using one layout or the other (CAT vs Case), but I found the CAT much easier to pick up on. Side note: I've heard that you can swap the hoses around on the ASV machines controls to run in the Case layout.

Mechanical problems with my machine have been minor and ASV tech support has been excellent. Of course, one thing to consider is how close your nearest dealership is.

Surfdunn
02-25-2010, 03:33 PM
currently looking at the same machine. the CAT 247 is pretty much a rc50 just with alittle more power and I believe the 257 is a powerd up rc60. Tracks seem to be the main problems with them since there such a soft compound. Shouldnt be a problem as long as your mostly working in the dirt and keep turning on the street to a minimum.

6x6man
02-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Yes, tracks are expensive so keep the counter rotating turns on paved surfaces to a minimum. (I've read that will also cause you to pop a track off if you don't have the tracks tensioned properly.) Using three point turns on hard surfaces is the best idea.

Also, consider the primary work environment. You don't want to run a tracked machine in large gravel (like 1" and larger). The stones get between the track and idler wheels and chew things up pretty fast.

Texana
02-27-2010, 08:54 AM
Has anyone tried to unload and move a pallet of grass with the PT-60? The last load of grass we installed weighed about #2700 per 450 sq. ft. I am looking at a 2008 ASV PT-60 and the rep is telling me it won't work.

matthewslandscape
02-27-2010, 09:00 AM
The local rep is getting a set of forks for me this week and I'm going to test with the 60. I'll let you know how it goes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Texana
02-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Excellent. Two of the reps here in Texas don't seem to be too sure of what their machines will do, and another has calculated that: "The PT60 will lift 1,900LBS up to 51" before it will start to tip". Which make syou wonder how in the heck it can be rated at #1900 to start with.

matthewslandscape
02-27-2010, 10:16 AM
From what I have seen and been told, 1900 is 50% of the tip on flat ground. Its tip is around 3800. I'm wanting to see if it will take a thing of grass off a flat bed trailer and move it around. In theroy it should. If you get on a slope it might want to tip. They said 3000 should not be a problem. We will see
Posted via Mobile Device

6x6man
02-28-2010, 01:52 AM
The heaviest attachment I've used with my RC-60 (PT-60 is the same machine, just with minor changes to meet emission req. I'm told) was a CareTree tree spade, (sorry, don't recall model but was probably between 32" or 36" unit at 1800 - 2400 lbs.) It worked but at times I was dragging the tips of the spade when I had a tree in the spade.

The RC-60 has a 2" receiver hitch on the back (and front) of the machine. I welded up a basket that I'm going to use to add some additional counter weight to the machine for the next time I rent the spade. If you happen to have some 'suit case' weights from an old farm tractor, you could probably fab up a bar on a hitch that would allow you to add weights as needed. Of course, use common sense and read your owners manual. You might be able to add counter weight that will allow you to lift a heavier load, but realize that you are putting additional stress on the machines suspension. I would not recommend operating at this level day after day, in that case it would be better to get a larger machine to start with.

The only other time I had a problem was when I attempted to back on to my trailer while carrying a skid full of portland cement. I could lift the skid no problem but when I tried to back up the incline of the trailer, it would throw my pivot point forward causing the back end of the machine to come off the ground. I ended up turning around and driving up the incline of the trailer and had no problem, (and yes, I realize the proper way to operate a skid loader is to always keep the heavy end of the machine heading up the incline, not down the incline. I was trying to avoid making a 180 degree spin on pavement.)

Texana
02-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the information. Hopefully I can put all of this together and figure out which machine will work best for me.

sven1277
03-01-2010, 09:16 AM
I used to have an rc 60. It was a nimble little machine. I think you will have problems lifting 2700lbs. Especially if you have to go down hill. The 60 now comes standard with 2spd. I wish the sr 70 did.

Small Time
03-04-2010, 11:56 AM
I have owned an RC-60 (pretty much the same as the PT series), and then stepped up to the SR-70. The only reason I went to the 70 was for lift. We could not unload sod off a semi without tipping. The 70 handles it with ease.

Texana
03-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the info. Looks like th ebudget jsut went up :(.

matthewslandscape
04-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Finally got to test the rc60. Not what I was hoping for though. First tried 3000lb of rock and it stood on its nose. Wouldnt even get it off of the ground. Then went to a 2500 lb and got it about 2 feet with no problem. At about 3 feet it tiped over. On flat ground it would lift 2000lb off of a truck but didnt like it when it was high. They want me to demo the rc80 next so we will see. Hope this helps.