PDA

View Full Version : Used mower buying tips?

JacksonLwnCare
02-23-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm a newbie to the lawn care business and I am hoping to find a good deal on a used zero turn mower( I'm on a budget). Does anyone have some advice on how to make sure a mower is good mechanically before buying?

Hawg City Lawns
02-24-2010, 12:37 AM
first of all look at the hour meter if it doesnt have one your gonna have to look harder at the things im going to touch on below

look at the overall condition make sure there is no rust or if there is that it can be sanded off or dealt with also look at paint and plastics sometimes just by that you can tell if something has had it rough or not

look at the engine for anything out of the ordinary such as leaks or new parts always take a look at the dipstick see what the oil looks like

look at the hydros and hoses make sure they are in good condition with no leaks

take a look at the deck glance over it to see if there are any dents or bends that dont belong make sure its not warped

also look at the belts yes they can be replaced but they can also tell you a story of how things are running

take a glance at the tires see what the tread looks like could be another great way to determine time on a machine but of course they can be replaced

listen to it run try out everything mow with it (if they will let you) listen for things that dont sound smooth or any type of noise that wouldnt sound like it belonged with a mower

pretty much what you do when you look for a car do with a mower

anyone else feel free to touch on this im sure ive missed a lot