PDA

View Full Version : Zero turn mower tire damage

GrassStitcher
02-24-2010, 11:28 AM
You know, those damaged areas when the zero turn mower makes the turn for the next pass. If you have customers complaining, you now have a solution: the Grass Stitcher. Just perforate the damaged area quickly and easily with the Grass Stitcher and throw some seed down and your done. Check it out - www.grassstitcher.com

ALC-GregH
02-24-2010, 11:38 AM
I have one of these that does the same exact thing.

http://www.fiskars.com/wps/wcm/connect/5056460045cd91ebb90afd0fc61cf272/cultivating.jpg?MOD=AJPERES

brucec32
02-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Interesting Idea, however....

ALC-GregH
02-24-2010, 11:40 AM
LOL Bruce.... :D

GrassStitcher
02-24-2010, 11:48 AM
The problem with the garden weasel is its not ergonomic, uses arm strength - very hard on the body, is made for home garden weed cultivation - breaks like candy and does not work nearly as well, makes small little holes. The Grass Stitcher is designed to use either body weight or leg strength and makes a very wide hole with loose soil around the rim so when you water, it falls in around the seed - works every time with little effort and built to last a lifetime (lifetime warranty). Racks do not create holes, just drags stuff around and machines work best for the large areas. The Grass Stitcher is the ultimate professional tool for repairing small lawn areas.

grassman177
02-24-2010, 11:49 AM
dont give the guy such a hard time, it is better than a garden weasel, which i do use by the way, as you dont have to work your back so hard, he has made provisions to use your foot for all the downward pressure. he took a good idea(garden weasel) and made it better and more specific for grass seeding. read the website he has and you will find out he is or was(cant remmeber) and LCO and was not satisfied with the results that were on the market for such a niche. when we finally break and use all the current garden weasels we have, and they do break quite often as they are just crappy pot metal, we are going to buy some of these, which should last longer and be easier to use

grassman177
02-24-2010, 11:50 AM
oh, and i wrote my response b4 he did

GrassStitcher
02-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks Grassman

I have dealt with the Garden weasel for over thirty years, could not believe that there was nothing better! Sick of of soar arms and a box of broken parts. I looked high and low, so I had to develop one on my own. I worked on this for 4 years with over 30 prototypes, I did not release until it clearly was a major improvement.

DJ Contracting
02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
I see you only have 4 post are you a sponsor on Lawnsite or are you here just trying to promote your product? Sorry I just seen under your Name your a sponsor good luck with it.

GrassStitcher
02-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks DJ

I'm a new sponsor, Its not apparent at first glance what exactly the Grass Stitcher can do, so I feel I need to interact with professionals to answer any questions.

Good luck in your endeavors as well.

Darryl G
02-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Welcome to Lawnsite!

I know how to operate my mower property so I don't damage turf when I turn, lol. Gotta split the sticks and not just spin on the inside wheel.

Looks like a decent product but can't see myself paying $60 plus bucks for it. Looks kind of awkward using your leg like that. I'm sure there's a market for it. BTW, I think the video is a little long and repetitive.

I use a 4 prong cultivating rake that I sharpen the prongs on if I need to repair small bare patches. Works fine.

Best of luck.

GrassStitcher
02-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks Darryl

The foot pad is used when the soil is hard, but if you want to go quicker you can lower the horizontal handle, lean on it and use your body weight. Either way there is no arm strength needed so you can operate this longer with a lot less fatigue.

Good luck with your season

MJB
02-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks Darryl

The foot pad is used when the soil is hard, but if you want to go quicker you can lower the horizontal handle, lean on it and use your body weight. Either way there is no arm strength needed so you can operate this longer with a lot less fatigue.

Good luck with your season

That would work well along sidewalks after the all the icemelt. I always see a lot of dead grass along sidewalks, that tool looks ideal for those situations.

demhustler
02-24-2010, 02:21 PM
yea, weasel overall work the best compare to rakes (different kinds) or shovel (spade) - but that's true - it is a lot of pushing down - with foot or without - position is awkward ; the harder ground - the more pain in s

bent handle with handlebar - exactly what needed to be done to make your weight work with your body (hands, feet, muscles, joints) not against it

good job, GS - it obviously better better than regular weasel; would one buy it or not - just matter of price
10-20 or 30$ more not a question, but would it worth it to pay 3-5 times more than for regular staff?
(lets say at the moment GS tool $99 vs. regular -$25-30)
http://www.grassstitcher.com/order.html

GrassStitcher
02-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Hey demhustler

I guess it really comes down to time and material as usual. The alternative (Weasel) takes longer, requires more effort (a lot more), they snap very easily with inferior results. Add up your lost time (you could have been doing more in your day) factor in your sore shoulders and the replacement cost of using an inferior tool I think you'll find you're saving nothing. It's the right tool for the job.

gtmorgan89
02-24-2010, 02:46 PM
Do you do any kind of discount for lawnsite members? I would like to test one out and see if its worth the rather hefty price.

Hawg City Lawns
02-24-2010, 02:51 PM
for 100 bucks you can buy quite a few normal rotary cultivators

i cant see paying that much for something we might use once a week for 5 minutes

GrassStitcher
02-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Ok gtmorgan89

Good call.

Anyone from Lawnsite who would like one, I will extend a 10% discount if you call by the end of this month. (call toll free skype number 860-365-8012). Just mention Lawnsite

Will ship same day.

GrassStitcher
02-24-2010, 02:57 PM
for 100 bucks you can buy quite a few normal rotary cultivators

True but add up time, replacement cost and fatigue. Use the right tool for the job not a homeowner garden cultivator.

Darryl G
02-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Frank - You should have mentioned that some members here have tried them and highly recommend them. I think that means a lot more to us than anything you could say. No offense, but you're suspect of being a little biased.

I think all of us have been lured in by an infomercial at some point for something that sounded amazing, only to find out it's a piece of crap, so are perhaps a bit skeptical. But hearing from other pros that they work well and have bought additional units after trying one, well that says a lot.

Here's a link guys...hope you don't mind Frank.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=3428904

grassman177
02-24-2010, 04:35 PM
kinda like i said, a better tool for the job! i have gotten many a arm cramp from having to push so hard on a weasel, adn the ergo nomics of this stitcher is so you dont have to do that, and made of way better materials so it does not snap like the weasel does all the time.

GrassStitcher
02-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Frank - You should have mentioned that some members here have tried them and highly recommend them. I think that means a lot more to us than anything you could say. No offense, but you're suspect of being a little biased.

I think all of us have been lured in by an infomercial at some point for something that sounded amazing, only to find out it's a piece of crap, so are perhaps a bit skeptical. But hearing from other pros that they work well and have bought additional units after trying one, well that says a lot.

Darryl

You are 100% correct.

The best advertising is happy customers. I'm embarking on a aggressive campaign to get testimonials in writing, as I have had many phone calls thanking me for making their job easier. That URL is perfect. The hard part is convincing guys it is what it is, but I'm hoping once the word is out, my job will be easier. We sold over 600 since our launch in August 2009, so I'm sure I will have a nice list of testimonials soon.

Thanks again Darryl

Barefoot James
02-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Great tool for the tool box save lots of time doing the little jobs and edges you can't get into. I even tried mine this week. got all the snow melted and aerated with it where the paper guy has left a major trail through my perfect grass:cry: I would rather have him just throw it from the street into the bushes than go throught frozen grass - oh well it will come back!

GrassStitcher
02-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Great tool for the tool box save lots of time doing the little jobs and edges you can't get into. I even tried mine this week. got all the snow melted and aerated with it where the paper guy has left a major trail through my perfect grass:cry: I would rather have him just throw it from the street into the bushes than go throught frozen grass - oh well it will come back!

Hey Barefoot

If only they made a grass variety that can withstand heavy foot traffic, but compaction will never go away:walking:

Check out the path I made from my house to the barn where we make the Grass Stitcher in Lebanon, Ct. The GS does a great job loosening the compacted soil and planting seed, did this repair in about 15 min.

grassman177
02-25-2010, 11:48 AM
nice photos, and you actually home make these bad boys!?

GrassStitcher
02-25-2010, 12:01 PM
nice photos, and you actually home make these bad boys!?

We make some parts here, some parts are shipped in. We assemble and ship from Lebanon, Ct

Made in the USA! *newusflag**newusflag*

Jay Ray
02-25-2010, 01:11 PM
We make some parts here, some parts are shipped in. We assemble and ship from Lebanon, Ct

Made in the USA! *newusflag**newusflag*

When you go to the hand tool rack at HD or Lowes and consider the prices I think your grass stitcher is reasonably priced. I paid more than that for a wishbone lake weed cutter. There is always a premium on special tools, especially automotive.

We have a lot of St. Aug. and some of the cultivars are pretty weak to traffic and it can't be seeded. So if it is stressed or soggy a wb goes on the trailer until things improve. And centipede seed is an arm and a leg. Otherwise I would buy one. Transition zone and north of it your grass stitcher really makes sense. It might make sense just for bermuda and wild native bahia mix here. I'm thinking about it.

GrassStitcher
02-25-2010, 01:32 PM
When you go to the hand tool rack at HD or Lowes and consider the prices I think your grass stitcher is reasonably priced. I paid more than that for a wishbone lake weed cutter. There is always a premium on special tools, especially automotive.

We have a lot of St. Aug. and some of the cultivars are pretty weak to traffic and it can't be seeded. So if it is stressed or soggy a wb goes on the trailer until things improve. And centipede seed is an arm and a leg. Otherwise I would buy one. Transition zone and north of it your grass stitcher really makes sense. It might make sense just for bermuda and wild native bahia mix here. I'm thinking about it.

Plus I developed the tool for professionals, who use tools to make a living. In my lawn care business I ALWAYS looked for tools that would make my life easier and last longer. The last thing I want is to have a broken tool on the job. :cry: and one that physically hurts and works inferior. It always comes down to time and materials to make a profit.

JayD
02-25-2010, 01:39 PM

Thanks Darryl,

After reading that, I will go look at their web site and rethink it over. I did see them show it at the show last October in KY but did not think I would pay that much for it, but I have been know to change my mind LOL...

GrassStitcher
02-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks Darryl,

After reading that, I will go look at their web site and rethink it over. I did see them show it at the show last October in KY but did not think I would pay that much for it, but I have been know to change my mind LOL...

JayD

Keep in mind if buy by the end of the month and mention Lawnsite when you call, you'll get 10% off.

grassman177
02-25-2010, 03:07 PM
when we do finally break all out current stock of weasels(wehave to keep many on hand cause they break all the time) we will most likely get some of these. they will be a one time purchase i can assume with a lifetime warranty, and not made of wood and poor grand pot metal. that is what the tines of the weasel are, and that is what breaks the most. i like the double idea too, much more effeicient. we use weasels for exactly what you propose on your site, pet damage, curbside damage and just plain small areas. i wish i came up with the idea!

GrassStitcher
02-26-2010, 08:59 AM
when we do finally break all out current stock of weasels(wehave to keep many on hand cause they break all the time) we will most likely get some of these. they will be a one time purchase i can assume with a lifetime warranty, and not made of wood and poor grand pot metal. that is what the tines of the weasel are, and that is what breaks the most. i like the double idea too, much more effeicient. we use weasels for exactly what you propose on your site, pet damage, curbside damage and just plain small areas. i wish i came up with the idea!

Thats right Grassman - lifetime warranty. Very durable tool you'll see once you get one in your hand and the wheels are deceptive may look like plastic but they won't break they flex and bounce back, unlike metal that bends knurls and eventually breaks, especially the Garden Weasel.

I have heard others who wished they thought of this - check this out http://lawncare.about.com/b/2010/02/17/grass-stitcher-aims-to-make-repairing-a-lawn-easy-and-effective-every-time.htm

Don't forget buy one by the end of this month and mention Lawnsite when you call and 10% off - try one.

dishboy
02-26-2010, 10:15 AM
If I tear the turf and expose the soil then it seems to me a simple handful of seed along with my size twelve is all that is necessary to repair that spot, along with a little compost to hold moisture and feed those seeds. I can see uses for the tool, just not this one.

GrassStitcher
02-26-2010, 10:26 AM
If I tear the turf and expose the soil then it seems to me a simple handful of seed along with my size twelve is all that is necessary to repair that spot, along with a little compost to hold moisture and feed those seeds. I can see uses for the tool, just not this one.

Dishboy

Thats is a way to get the job done.

But the compost is not needed with the Grass Stitcher. Because the perforation that is made has a wide opening with loose soil around the rim, when you water, the soil falls in around the seed and your done. Your way you have to use the compost for soil / seed contact (important for seed germination), the Grass Stitcher way utilizes what is there, no need for anything else but seed. Quicker, easier and less expensive.

dishboy
02-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Dishboy

Thats is a way to get the job done.

But the compost is not needed with the Grass Stitcher. Because the perforation that is made has a wide opening with loose soil around the rim, when you water, the soil falls in around the seed and your done. Your way you have to use the compost for soil / seed contact (important for seed germination), the Grass Stitcher way utilizes what is there, no need for anything else but seed. Quicker, easier and less expensive.

The size 12 will assure seed contact in itself and is all that is necessary along with moisture, the compost is for those who doubt that. I agree you method is a improvement, but not necessary for a small tire burn IMO.

grassman177
02-26-2010, 12:12 PM
unfortunaly we have to fix a decent amount if tire mishaps when wehave so much rain like 2009. and slides from the mowers are not easily done with a size 12 foot(which i also have). too much area. you cant beat at least spending the $20 for a weasel to have for that porpose. we keep one and a bucket of seed on every truck during wet periods as shizzle happens(although we try to prevent, it happens more than i like but feel the guys do their best in the conditions we had last year which was soup). it is a policy to fix it and also notify the customer so they know we did not tear it up and leave, we noted the issue and resolved it for them without question.

GrassStitcher
02-26-2010, 12:18 PM
unfortunaly we have to fix a decent amount if tire mishaps when wehave so much rain like 2009. and slides from the mowers are not easily done with a size 12 foot(which i also have). too much area. you cant beat at least spending the $20 for a weasel to have for that porpose. we keep one and a bucket of seed on every truck during wet periods as shizzle happens(although we try to prevent, it happens more than i like but feel the guys do their best in the conditions we had last year which was soup). it is a policy to fix it and also notify the customer so they know we did not tear it up and leave, we noted the issue and resolved it for them without question.

Weasel sucks :nono: - Grass Stitcher is for professionals Thumbs Up

JayD
02-26-2010, 12:24 PM

So do you just use the same seed for every lawn you mow?

grassman177
02-26-2010, 12:31 PM
yes, we blend a fescue in every lawn, so it makes no difference as far as that.

IN2MOWN
02-26-2010, 12:55 PM
I would recommend just learning how to use a z-turn properly. People hop on those things and think they can just whip around yards. Most of the time people dont even need a mower like that but they buy it to show off.

grassman177
02-26-2010, 03:52 PM
i know how to mow, dont tell me that, and my guys are very careful cause i will yell at them if they are not( or realistically they can trim all day instead). it really only happens when you have to mow in very bad conditions that the ground moves underneath you while sitting still kind of crap, mostly cause most yards here in newer areas have really bad drainage and end up with bad low spots. we try to avoid those, but like i said shixxle happens sometimes, especially when you have three mowing crews a day. it is not super common so dont get that impression we do it all the time, i just think forward and carry all those things on the truck cause it can happen. we have more tools per truck by far than most lcos i have found as we dont have to go to the shop to do many repairs, just do it in the field. many many years of doing this have tought me to go out prepared, especially when you mow as much in one day as we do.

IN2MOWN
02-26-2010, 03:58 PM
My post was not directed at you specifically.

Barefoot James
02-26-2010, 04:15 PM
I have thousands of hours on a Wright and can make the tires go opposite directions (consider myself better than most) but like the prior poster said stuff happens (on a hill side a little slide and opps - or a thin turf area and opps or one area is a little wetter than you think and...) so don't kid yourself and think you or your crew knows how to use a mower and this never happens - it does and we ALL know it - some just don't admit it.:rolleyes:

IN2MOWN
02-26-2010, 04:22 PM
I have thousands of hours on a Wright and can make the tires go opposite directions (consider myself better than most) but like the prior poster said stuff happens (on a hill side a little slide and opps - or a thin turf area and opps or one area is a little wetter than you think and...) so don't kid yourself and think you or your crew knows how to use a mower and this never happens - it does and we ALL know it - some just don't admit it.:rolleyes:

Wow. I know accidents happen and again Im not talking about people who have experience using ZTRs.

Im referring to the 17 year old who thinks ZTRs are cool looking and buys one to make himself look like a bad ass.

GrassStitcher
02-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Oh, did I mention we have a new carry strap to walk around with the Grass Stitcher to do those inevitable zero turn marks. It keeps your hands free for carrying seed / fert.

I'm thinking of adding a seed bag that you also carry around your shoulder so you can have complete hands free with a small seed applicator for precise seed placement- any comments on this idea?

Barefoot James
02-26-2010, 04:43 PM
I'm talking to the guy who said learn how to use a mower. Which means to me they never have this happen to them and I'm calling out that claim, if you do enough yards and never tear up any turf on 34 mows a year on 100 properties - well I don't care how good you are that's just not gonna happen and the newbys for sure should have a stitcher and seed on the truck cause they think they are hotdogs and they really will tear up some properties, so I agree 100% with you on that catagory of LCO. Many guys have mowers that when they turn the inside tire stays and the outside rolls and those guys skid it every time in wet grass. Those mowers suck the pros know how to roll the inside tire counter clock and the outside clock wise. When I see this and their lines are straight you know they know how to use their machine.
Can't you mount that sticher on the mower and mount on seed bag too. That's great for right now where we are going around actually looking for thin spots and fixing them but on a mower I would attach it to the mower - that would be cool.

GrassStitcher
02-26-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm talking to the guy who said learn how to use a mower. Which means to me they never have this happen to them and I'm calling out that claim, if you do enough yards and never tear up any turf on 34 mows a year on 100 properties - well I don't care how good you are that's just not gonna happen and the newbys for sure should have a stitcher and seed on the truck cause they think they are hotdogs and they really will tear up some properties, so I agree 100% with you on that catagory of LCO. Many guys have mowers that when they turn the inside tire stays and the outside rolls and those guys skid it every time in wet grass. Those mowers suck the pros know how to roll the inside tire counter clock and the outside clock wise. When I see this and their lines are straight you know they know how to use their machine.
Can't you mount that sticher on the mower and mount on seed bag too. That's great for right now where we are going around actually looking for thin spots and fixing them but on a mower I would attach it to the mower - that would be cool.

Excellent Barefoot, I'll work on that too! Thumbs Up

I intend to find as many ways as possible to make lawn repair quick and easy.

grassman177
02-26-2010, 05:18 PM
ill stick with carrying it in hand, not that hard. just my opinion. plus, what if you trip and fall, that thing will hurt bad to fall on where carrying it you can throw it away from you.

gotcha, not directed at me in2mowin. thought it was. myself i am way better at doing things since i have almost 20 years in the industry, way better than my help. but they are pretty good as i dont let much slide, kinda a hardazz am i

Darryl G
02-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Looks like that would hurt like hell if you slipped and landed on your a$$ on that thing, lol. Good idea though.

I wish I had a strap on my measuring wheel..I only seem to think of it when I'm using it..never when I'm looking for something to do.

You might want to hang out on the lawn renovation forum a bit Frank. No harm in offering advice and pedaling your product there a bit as long as you're not trying to cram it down people's throats. We have one long term member here who had (probably still has) a habit of doing that with his product...thought it was the answer to everything under the sun and got aggrivated and frustrated when people didn't want to buy it. Yes you Brad :p

I may be calling soon to order a GS...probably the double...I know I've only got a few days left for the promotion offer.

Darryl G
03-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Well, I ordered a double Grass Stitcher yesterday. I'll let you guys know how I like after I've had a chance to use it some.

So now I just have to order my new aerator. :laugh:

grassman177
03-02-2010, 06:58 PM
that is a joke of a product, the aerator pictured above, woow. there should be like a commision to stop total crap from coming to market,hahahhhah

Darryl G
03-02-2010, 09:00 PM
that is a joke of a product, the aerator pictured above, woow. there should be like a commision to stop total crap from coming to market,hahahhhah

Yah, no there's just no substitute for them spiky shoes.

Actually my Grass Stitcher came today with just enough time before dark to give it a try. It is a quality tool, no doubt about it. Everything about it is professional looking right down to the packaging.

I tried it as both a single and and a double. I didn't use it enough to make a definitive evaluation, but I think I may prefer it as a single. Penetrates really easily as a single for sure, even without using your leg. It's a bit of work to get the double to penetrate unless you use your leg on it. Nice to have the option anyway. A full trial will have to wait though, I don't want to rip up any more of my lawn until it's warm enough to seed, lol.

But my initial impression is the only way you're gonna break this thing is if you run it over with your truck...and event then maybe not. It's heavy duty without being heavy.