PDA

View Full Version : Need input on new possible names:

TXNSLighting
02-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Heres what ive narrowed it down to. Bourdon Illuminations, or Bourdon Outdoor Lighting. Lets hear some opinions.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Lighting Geek
02-24-2010, 12:49 PM
i think illuminations is less restrictive and sounds better, more like an artist.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-24-2010, 12:52 PM
I think that using your own name in the business name is a very good long term idea. I wish I had done so way back when.

I would recommend you use something that does not pigeon hole you to one sub category. For instance, using "outdoor illuminations" is fine, if you only ever intend to do outdoor lighting. If you think that there is any chance of you going in any other directions in the lighting industry, then I would not pin it down so tightly.

Also, try to pick a name that is easily and instantly recognizable. You dont want to have to make people think about what it is you do! "illuminations" is just vague enough that you might end up spending time and energy communicating what it is you do to the public.

Fun isn't it?

NightScenes
02-24-2010, 01:41 PM
I would agree that illuminations would be a better fit and I also like the idea of using your name. Good luck with this Ryan, you are in a very good market up there in the Dallas Ft. Worth area.

TXNSLighting
02-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the input so far. Im pretty sure its going to be Bourdon Illumination. Underneath it will be "Creative lighting solutions" Tommys been a huge help through this. I definitely want to credit him here. Im excited to see what this season brings!
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark B
02-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Tommy I think you should go into consulting work. Skip lighting. Or let it be your therapy.

James I disagree with you on the name thing. I tired my best to stay away from that. I look at like you did not put any thought in your business name. But that is my .02

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Tommy I think you should go into consulting work. Skip lighting. Or let it be your therapy.

James I disagree with you on the name thing. I tired my best to stay away from that. I look at like you did not put any thought in your business name. But that is my .02

What specifically do you disagree with? Using a surname? not pigeon holing your operations with a restrictive description? Or not being plain and descriptive about the type of service you offer?

Mark B
02-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Oh yeah I forgot that part. The user name part. I might think like that cause I have a funky last name. But the company I work for now uses there last name, they have been around for 60yrs.

irrig8r
02-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Oh yeah I forgot that part. The user name part. I might think like that cause I have a funky last name. But the company I work for now uses there last name, they have been around for 60yrs.

I could only see it being a disadvantage if you go to either sell your business or franchise....

Funny thing, I got the idea to use the "plus" in my url (as in www.sprinklersplus.com) from an old high school buddy of mine who has a service and parts business for vintage Fiats and other arcane European cars and called it Fiat Plus. (www.fiatplus.com)

At the same time, without either of us discussing it, he changed his business name to include his own name (C. Obert and Co.) kind of similar to the way I originally did mine (G. Catanese Landscape Services)

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-24-2010, 09:08 PM
I could only see it being a disadvantage if you go to either sell your business or franchise....

That being said...I know a couple of guys, the Islander Brothers; Michael & Kevin, who years ago bought a company named Stewart Jackson Sprinklers... Seems to have worked out pretty well for them.

Ahhh the age old question: "What's in a name?" :drinkup:

Pro-Scapes
02-25-2010, 07:53 AM
Heres what ive narrowed it down to. Bourdon Illuminations, or Bourdon Outdoor Lighting. Lets hear some opinions.
Posted via Mobile Device

Take it a step further maybe ?

Illuminations By Bourdon ?

TXNSLighting
02-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Interesting Billy...hmmm

klkanders
02-25-2010, 09:28 PM
I like the way you think Billy!

Ryan, Of course I am going to like Billy's idea......its more artsy.

But unfortunately you can't use the word "by" in your name.....I have it trademarked! :)

niteliters
02-25-2010, 10:13 PM
being from kentucky i would suggest
"White Lighting" by Bourdon

think on that

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Being from kentucky is that bourdon or bourbon? :drinkup:

TXNSLighting
02-25-2010, 11:01 PM
I like the way you think Billy!

Ryan, Of course I am going to like Billy's idea......its more artsy.

But unfortunately you can't use the word "by" in your name.....I have it trademarked! :)

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Thats was good!

TXNSLighting
02-25-2010, 11:03 PM

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

TXNSLighting
02-25-2010, 11:38 PM
These are all interesting...keep em comin.

Mark B
02-26-2010, 04:49 PM
I like the Illuminations in the name. But it seems long for me. Or people will have issues with the spelling it right. What about "Texas Illuminations", They say things are bigger in Texas so maybe "Big Illuminations", "Large Illuminations", "Tex Illuminations" (that sounds funny), Or how about the region you are in. Like here in NC you might see "Mid Atlantic Illuminations", There is a bank named here "Mid Carolina Bank". Let me get a few drinks & jeger bombs in me and I will return. LOL.

Mark B
02-26-2010, 05:10 PM
I guess you are in or around the Dallas & Fort Worth Tx. So how about DFW Illuminations?

niteliters
02-26-2010, 06:11 PM

you got it, a little play on words "white lighting" white lightnin
"bourdon bourbon

TXNSLighting
02-27-2010, 02:30 AM
I guess you are in or around the Dallas & Fort Worth Tx. So how about DFW Illuminations?

Or North Texas Illumination...DFW illumination isnt bad tho.

extlights
02-27-2010, 03:53 AM
Lonestar Illuminations or Lonestar Lighting. :confused:

extlights
02-27-2010, 03:58 AM
Or...Lonestar Illumination Technologies....aka "Lit" :laugh:

Mark B
02-27-2010, 08:22 AM
Dave that was the big word I was trying to think about.

indylights
02-27-2010, 03:49 PM
I live in Indy, but if I were in Texas, I would be all over the "Lonestar Illuminations" name. The logo, marketing, etc. could all be very cool associated with that name, and just to help you out, I checked and the domain name is available also. I'd snatch that up before some lurker does.

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes

TXNSLighting
02-27-2010, 06:31 PM
I live in Indy, but if I were in Texas, I would be all over the "Lonestar Illuminations" name. The logo, marketing, etc. could all be very cool associated with that name, and just to help you out, I checked and the domain name is available also. I'd snatch that up before some lurker does.

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes

You may be on to something here..It has a nice ring, and i could definitely see some great Logo ideas..

Lite4
02-28-2010, 05:41 AM

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes

I think I will have to give Scott the blue ribbon on this one. Lonestar Illuminations would be my pick. :clapping:

The Lighting Geek
02-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Since I live in CA, I could be 'Left Coast Lighting'
My slogan could be 'Where right is wrong!' LOL

TXNSLighting
02-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Since I live in CA, I could be 'Left Coast Lighting'
My slogan could be 'Where right is wrong!' LOL

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Love it!

TXNSLighting
03-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Well ive made my decision. I did like Lonestart but i just cant see using it. Its just not me. Im not a cowboy type person. :laugh: so yeh. It will read like this:

Bourdon Illumination
"Creative lighting solutions"

Color wise, i think im going to have Bourdon in a Neonish Green, Illumination in a bright Yellow. And creative...in a nice Orange. I think it will stand out nicely! My vehicles are black so it will stand out nicely.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Hey Ryan, check that Orange, I think it is trade marked! :) Seriously, have you run the colour combination by a woman with style and design sense? I would... guys are not so good at colours in my experience.

NightScenes
03-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Give em hell Ryan!!

trailboss
03-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Cool name Ryan - I will keep an eye out for your rig. Sounds like it will be easy to spot. I was waiting to see if you would use the Lonestar idea. I thought about that same name about six months ago - just never bought the name.
I think spring is finally rolling in - sold a couple of jobs this week. We have stayed busy over the past month or so but I'm still trying to make up from the fall - man, it was slow.

Steve

TXNSLighting
03-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Hey Ryan, check that Orange, I think it is trade marked! :) Seriously, have you run the colour combination by a woman with style and design sense? I would... guys are not so good at colours in my experience.

Very good point! Ill have to get a womans take on them.

TXNSLighting
03-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Give em hell Ryan!!

They wont know what hit em!

TXNSLighting
03-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Cool name Ryan - I will keep an eye out for your rig. Sounds like it will be easy to spot. I was waiting to see if you would use the Lonestar idea. I thought about that same name about six months ago - just never bought the name.
I think spring is finally rolling in - sold a couple of jobs this week. We have stayed busy over the past month or so but I'm still trying to make up from the fall - man, it was slow.

Steve

Ha its all yours my man. I think it will work for someone, just not me

We're getting some interest now, and ive got 3 Demos scheduled next week! This winter has not been great at all, but im excited to see what happens this year! 2010 WILL be great!!

JoeyD
03-03-2010, 11:02 AM
I wish you al the luck Ryan! With your determination there is no way you are going to fail! Keep up the great work!!

The Lighting Geek
03-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Good Luck Ryan!

I second the woman's input, it has made a difference for me in colors, fonts and general appeal.

klkanders
03-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Good Luck Ryan!

I second the woman's input, it has made a difference for me in colors, fonts and general appeal.

Spoken like an avid catalog model! :)

Good talking with you last week!

TXNSLighting
03-03-2010, 08:25 PM
After talking with a female.... Name in yellow, and tag line in a nice Blue.

The Lighting Geek
03-04-2010, 03:16 AM
Spoken like an avid catalog model! :)

Good talking with you last week!

Oh I forgot, great advice about makeup too...lol

TXNSLighting
03-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Heres a rough draft:

Bourdon Illumination
"Outdoor Lighting solutions"