PDA

View Full Version : New Stihl Blower Keeps Breaking!

MowinginEureka
02-24-2010, 04:12 PM
So, 8 months ago I bought a stihl blower. It is a BG 86 I think. The big new hand held model. Anyhow, after 2 weeks, the blower would barely run. Took it in, and they tuned it all the way as lean as it could go...and it still didnt run right. But, at least it ran. 1 month after that, the blower will barely run again. I take it in, they clean out the spark arrester screen with a blow torch. 2 weeks later, same problem, take it in again, they clean it again. 2 weeks later, yet again, except this time, they cut the screen off. I also have to leave it with them for a week because the off switch had stopped working. They replace the whole switch. A month later, the blower starts making an awful rattle and sounds really loud. I take a look, and the muffler fell off. I take apart the case to get a closer look. One of the 2 bolts holding on the muffler had broken off clean inside the head. I take it in, a week later, I get it back and they put in a helicoil. 3 weeks later, the bolt installed in the helicoil wiggles out and rounds out/strips the helicoil out and I take it in again. They helicoil it AGAIN, 1 month later (yesterday) it falls out the third time. I take it in and now they say it will be a week and a half for them to order a brand new cylinder head! What gives??!?! This blower is less than 8 months old. Im thinking of calling Stihl corporate and making them buy me a brand new one because mine is a lemon! Ive had 3 BG 55's, the residential entry level model and they never gave me this level of problems...So much for commercial and new and improved. Anyone else had these kind of problems?

Alan0354
02-24-2010, 04:26 PM
You sure the dealer know what they are doing? THey use an air wrench to tighten the bolts??

MowinginEureka
02-24-2010, 04:37 PM
I dont know, but I think its a problem with using a helicoil in a cylinder head, the metal contracts and retracts with heating and cooling, not to mention vibration! I have tried retightening it by hand and it still pops out. I can always torque bolts tighter than my air wrenches...cheap pieces of crap...lol, thats what I get for going to harbor freight.

Alan0354
02-24-2010, 04:43 PM
The guy had to really crank the bolt to break the bolt!!!

My first guess without knowing the detail, just from what you described, the problem is with the dealer fixing it. Sounds like they make it worst after the first fix. Not defending Stihl either, just don't believe you clog up the screen in such a short period of time. Almost seems like the guy was blind shooting.

MowinginEureka
02-24-2010, 04:45 PM
The bolt busted off without them ever having touched that particular bolt. They had to drill out the old bolt and helicoil it, twice. Yeah, and the screen was nearly completely clogged each time. I looked at it, it was very, very clogged. They asked me if I ran it at partial throttle most of the time. The blower runs at full throttle most of the time.

topsites
02-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Operator error, and misdiagnosis.

So do tell..
Did you readeded teh Owner's manual from cover to cover?

After you do, and after you figure out the problem, be sure to forward
a copy of the manual to the dealer so they can read a little, too.

MowinginEureka
02-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Yeah, when I bought it 8 months ago. Is there something I'm missing?

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Wow, lots of stuff going on there! I agree with you, Stihl should give you another and start over. I'd give Stihl a call or email their customer service. As for a helicoil in a cylinder head, we used them in aluminum heads on a sprint car years ago and they worked great.

FYS777
02-24-2010, 05:42 PM
ALL I CAN SAY IS BUY ECHO!!!! but i have had the bolts brake on muff, but not on echo. never could find out the prob. they need to give you a new one period. and don't back down until you do get a new one. the throttle position should not make a difference period!!!!!

Alan0354
02-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Is there a lemon law apply to this case? I agree, get a new start.

MowinginEureka
02-24-2010, 08:12 PM
So. 2 days later, the blower is still in the shop and they have not even called Stihl on it, let alone looked at it. I asked them to look at it, and call Stihl while they figured out what to do so I could come and pick up my blower in the meantime. I got pissed off and shot off a friendly email to Stihl complaining about their product and the service at this dealer. I received a reply within 5 minutes saying they would get on it and asked for my Serial number so they could call about it.

FYS777
02-24-2010, 08:26 PM
So. 2 days later, the blower is still in the shop and they have not even called Stihl on it, let alone looked at it. I asked them to look at it, and call Stihl while they figured out what to do so I could come and pick up my blower in the meantime. I got pissed off and shot off a friendly email to Stihl complaining about their product and the service at this dealer. I received a reply within 5 minutes saying they would get on it and asked for my Serial number so they could call about it.

please let us know how that plays out??? hope it goes well for you, plus extra>

specialtylc
02-24-2010, 08:29 PM
You must have a lemon. I have been using the Stihl blowers for ten years. I like them more than any other brand. I have a BG86 and it has ran great all last season. I did buy a BG55 once. Motor blew up before end of the season. Not really built to run for multiple hours at a time. As for Helicoils,most all aluminum engines have them installed, cars, trucks,etc..

MOturkey
02-24-2010, 08:36 PM
I have a BG85 which I bought in 2003, and up until the latter part of the 2008 season, when I bought a 600, it was my only blower and got used a bunch, not only on the job, but my wife is a nut about blowing off the carport and patio, so it was run even in the off season at least 3 or 4 times a week. I've never had the spark arrestor screen plug, and have never even had it serviced. I THINK I did stick a new plug in it a couple of years ago, and clean the air filter a couple of times a year, but that is all.

I'm not a mechanic, but it sounds to me like it is running way too rich, or you are using too high an oil/gass ratio.

Roger
02-24-2010, 09:09 PM
You make no mention of the oil you are using, or the mix ratio. All the clogging that you spoke about early on was probably as a result of one of these two items.

I've had a BG86 for a long time, run it hard all season, especially in the Fall. Some days in the Fall, it runs through five or six tanks of fuel. It has been very solid, and I would buy another in a second if I needed a hand blower.

I use Amsoil, mixed 75:1. I still have the muffler screen in place, never been off for cleaning, nor have the exhaust ports been cleaned. It starts first/second pull and runs like a champ. Or a previous blower, I took off the muffler for exhaust port cleaning, and never found anything to remove. In the case of my present one, I believe there is no reason to even check any longer.

I fall back to my first two points. All the other problems with the Helicoil is the aftermath of what was happening during the initial time of operation.

Alan0354
02-24-2010, 09:23 PM
A little off subject. I notice when running too lean, the exhaust outlet really get dirty. It almost seems like when the engine run optimally, you don't have too much carbon. I notice on my Honda trimmer. My carb had metal fragment in it and eventually block the jet. I notice the exhaust outlet get very dirty. After I clear the blockage, black stuff stop blowing out of the exhaust anymore.

I have been using Amsoil and at least Echo synthetic blend all along, I never see any deposit in the exhaust with ALL my 2 cycles. Only with the Shindaiwa C4 blower and the Honda( no oil in gas!!). Almost seems like only the more fuel efficient ones have carbon issue because they burn leaner.

mictrik
02-24-2010, 09:57 PM
Im thinking of calling Stihl corporate and making them buy me a brand new one because mine is a lemon! Ive had 3 BG 55's, the residential entry level model and they never gave me this level of problems...So much for commercial and new and improved. Anyone else had these kind of problems?

I would of called Stihl a long time ago. So long as you are mixing fresh fuel with a high quality 2 cycle oil at the proper ratio you should not be experiencing clogging of the spark arrestor screen. Assuming you have done that then problem was Stihls and/or the service guys who seem to have made a possible adjustment problem worse. Good Luck with Stihl and I hope that they stand by their product.

mowerbrad
02-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Stihl is a great company and I would expect them to stand behind their product, especially in this case. But I would have also expected your dealer to step up to the plate and contact stihl themselves about the problem.

MowinginEureka
02-24-2010, 11:25 PM
When I first bought the blower I was using the Stihl brand 2 cycle oil mixed with fresh gas. I buy fresh gas for all of my gas cans once every two weeks. It is bought at Costco, and all our gas here comes from the same refinery. Anyhow, a few months ago I made the switch to the high performance 2 cycle Stihl brand oil because my kombimotor Stihl trimmer requires it for the reduction of carbon buildup. I use mix it in a 2.5 gallon gas can. I always fill to the line, kinda impossible to use too much oil that way. I believe the blower is just a complete dud. Never had this many problems with a stihl product, or any commercial product I have ever owned.

mictrik
02-25-2010, 01:53 AM
Stihl is a great company and I would expect them to stand behind their product, especially in this case. But I would have also expected your dealer to step up to the plate and contact stihl themselves about the problem.

Well you might expect the dealer to "step up to the plate" but I would not share that expectation. Dealers with unfortunately few exceptions do what is most profitable and least time consuming; short term profit in mind. What is best for the customer often is not the most profitable choice for the dealer. The dealers by me don't even use the correct spark plugs in my FS90. The answer for me is to service everything myself and only farm out work when i know exactly what is wrong and what will be done. So, I always diagnose and confirm the problem before I allow someone else to remedy the problem. If i was in this situation, I would document the problem, list chronologically everything done to address the problem and then mail the document in the form of a letter to Stihl customer support, Technical support and the dealer. I would not raise it to Stihl corporate as yet because Stihl has not had time to look into the issue. Any company can and will produce a malfunctioning or poorly functioning product but it is the frequency of such an occurrence and how they handle it that determines the quality of the company. I think that if you state your case and it is shown to be valid that you will be satisfied with the result... Stihl is a good company!

Richard Martin
02-25-2010, 03:56 AM
Stihl will probably fix it or replace it. It's not a terribly expensive blower (I have a BG85 that sits on the shelf) so to replace it wouldn't bankrupt them.

mowerbrad
02-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Well you might expect the dealer to "step up to the plate" but I would not share that expectation. Dealers with unfortunately few exceptions do what is most profitable and least time consuming; short term profit in mind. What is best for the customer often is not the most profitable choice for the dealer. The dealers by me don't even use the correct spark plugs in my FS90. The answer for me is to service everything myself and only farm out work when i know exactly what is wrong and what will be done. So, I always diagnose and confirm the problem before I allow someone else to remedy the problem. If i was in this situation, I would document the problem, list chronologically everything done to address the problem and then mail the document in the form of a letter to Stihl customer support, Technical support and the dealer. I would not raise it to Stihl corporate as yet because Stihl has not had time to look into the issue. Any company can and will produce a malfunctioning or poorly functioning product but it is the frequency of such an occurrence and how they handle it that determines the quality of the company. I think that if you state your case and it is shown to be valid that you will be satisfied with the result... Stihl is a good company!

I've got a very good stihl dealer and they know the expectations I have in them. If something goes wrong, they know that it needs to be fixed quickly. Now, maybe you have a different experience with your dealer but for me, I'm on very good terms with mine and I make sure they know what I expect out of them. And my stihl dealer has never let me down.

Valk
02-25-2010, 01:44 PM
I agree, sounds like a lemon. Just a guess, but if even one internal nut/bolt/what-have-you didn't get torqued-down/fastened/attached correctly when initially assembled, there may be an evil vibration tearing this thing apart from the inside out.
If the foundation is off - then why fix the roof first?

MowinginEureka
02-27-2010, 01:55 AM
Well.. after a few emails and phone calls. The dealer called the same guy I was dealing with and although I specifically requested a new blower due to all of the problems with this one...the Stihl guy told my dealer to just replace the whole head. Why couldn't they just replace the thing? :angry: Oh well, at least it was quick, they were saying it would have been over a week to get in the head, but I guess Stihl authorized a rush order. I go in tomorrow to go pick it up...I give it 2 months before it has problems of some sort again!:hammerhead:

mictrik
02-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Well.. after a few emails and phone calls. The dealer called the same guy I was dealing with and although I specifically requested a new blower due to all of the problems with this one...the Stihl guy told my dealer to just replace the whole head. Why couldn't they just replace the thing? :angry: Oh well, at least it was quick, they were saying it would have been over a week to get in the head, but I guess Stihl authorized a rush order. I go in tomorrow to go pick it up...I give it 2 months before it has problems of some sort again!:hammerhead:

I find that amazing considering all of the issues that Stihl would ask the dealer to replace the head rather than get you a new blower. I bet the dealer had something to do with it. Maybe they make money replacing the head via warranty labor charges to Stihl. I can not see any reason why Stihl would not of authorized a new unit be sent to you, the cost to them is so little.

lawnboy dan
03-01-2010, 07:34 AM
yet another lemon from sthil

Hoy landscaping
03-01-2010, 10:19 AM
yea. my bg55 or something like that breaks alot too. off switch is messed up. i took it in 2 times and they couldn't fix it. now i just choke it out. i hope there backpack blowers dont have problems. im going to get a br600 soon

Jason Rose
03-01-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm thinking it was out of balance as well. Maybe bad crankshaft bearings? My old BG-85 died from that. It started vibriting more and more, which on the new 86 wouldn't be very noticable because of the way the handle isolates vibration. Anyway, muffler bolts were coming loose, etc. Finally it got so bad I took the time to look at it, it ws old so I wasn't too worried, the fan side of the engine was loose, like very loose. lol. I'm betting it was damage over time from using it as a vac once in a while. every little piece of mulch, rock, or stick would get stuck in there and lock it up instantly... Pretty much useless as a vac, but it did have it's uses.

I sure hope my new BG-86 dosn't act like yours though!

CoupesCuts
03-01-2010, 01:35 PM
sounds like you need to find a new dealer. That problem should have been addressed the first time you brought it in. Mine would have taken care of me the same day.

MowinginEureka
03-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Its the only one within 10 miles of my home. There is one in town with my accounts, but they break my equipment and take a week to fix ANYTHING! They never put washers back on bolts, my bolts on my Toro holding the front hubs on had no washers on them last I worked on it, they were eating into the deck...now they wont tighten properly.

FYS777
03-02-2010, 12:02 AM
OOOO Quit complaining and learn how to work on your own equipment. good grief, in the long run it will save you money!!!!

Alan0354
03-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Its the only one within 10 miles of my home. There is one in town with my accounts, but they break my equipment and take a week to fix ANYTHING! They never put washers back on bolts, my bolts on my Toro holding the front hubs on had no washers on them last I worked on it, they were eating into the deck...now they wont tighten properly.

You really need to change dealer and at least start learning how to fix your small hand held!!!

Sound like every time you bring anything in, it won't be the last time!!! You might end up saving more time driving to a dealer 20 miles away than to keep driving back to these guys over and over and over and over..........................Then have to take the time to rant about it here!!!

MowinginEureka
03-02-2010, 12:48 AM
I fix most of my equipment myself, but why pay to fix something under warranty? The next dealer is 45 miles or so away.

Alan0354
03-02-2010, 03:37 AM
I fix most of my equipment myself, but why pay to fix something under warranty? The next dealer is 45 miles or so away.

Is it that bad??!! I thought Eureka is a forest town, lots of wood cutting and all. i love that place!!! You mean no dealer or no Stihl dealer?? I can't imagin any dealer don't carry Stihl.

Some times is less trouble to fix it yourself than to go back and fore with the dealer. I paid $85 to the dealer to change the carb and the new one still don't work well. I went back 2 or 3 times. Finally I just open the old one that was replaced out, fix it and call it a win!!! If you have incompetent dealer, it'll cause you more trouble. I am still not convinced that they did not break your muffler bolt. They might have taken off the muffler before even attempted to get to the screen. they might not have told you. the bolt might be tighten so bad that it broke when you were using it. those are big bolts for a small little muffler!!!! I can see the bolt of the cylinder broke!!! then they must have tap the hole too big and the helix coil won't stay, now you must have too big a hole to tap it one more time. Sure sounds like someone there don't know what they are doing!!!

You might start out with just a small problem, it sure snow ball on you!!, Now you trust them to change the cylinder. The engine is not like the others, the cylinder is the top of the crankcase too. they have to disasemble the whole engine. You don't know what they would do to the engine.

MowinginEureka
03-02-2010, 09:50 PM
You missed the previous posts, there are 3 dealers in the area, one in eureka(15 miles away), one here in mckinleyville (1/2 mile), and another in Fortuna (45 miles away). The broken bolt came on its own accord, before they ever replaced anything. The only thing they had done to it was adjust the carburetor and clean the spark arrester. Anyhow, Im done with this thread, Ive been restating the same thing over and over. Blower is fixed for now. Nothing I can do.