PDA

View Full Version : Refurbishing older trailer

93Chevy
02-24-2010, 04:55 PM
In a few weeks, I plan on refinishing my trailer. It's a 1999 tandem axle 16' x 7' that's a little beat up.

This is what I plan to do:
1. Replace the decking.
2. Replace the lighting and any wires and harnesses as necessary.
3. Fix the expanded metal ramp.
4. Strip and paint trailer and wheels.
5. Add womanized 1x8's about 3' high from the deck so I can haul mulch, debris, etc.

Where I'm at skill-wise: I worked for a carpenter for 2 years, and while I don't claim to be an expert, I can handle painting to perfection, electrical, wood working, and minor metal repairs.

Basically, I'm wondering if anybody has any advice for having this beat up trailer come out nice. I know it still won't be perfect because it's been beat up by employees of a local LCO, but if it can last me a while, I'll be happy. I'll appreciate any suggestions as far as what to do first, what tools will help me, etc. Thank you :waving:

Sweet Tater
02-24-2010, 08:41 PM
I'd also mover those trimmer racks to the curb side of the trailer

93Chevy
02-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Oh, the racks and the cage are at the scrap yard. They no longer exist. I'll be getting nice new ones this year. I was considering placing the new racks at the front of the trailer to leave both sides fully open.

corbster
02-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Tim ...while you have it trailer naked (lights off ect.) have it sandblasted or blast it yourself ...will save a ton of work hours.

93Chevy
02-24-2010, 08:49 PM
That can get expensive, can't it? I'm trying to keep it all under $300, before new racks are added.

rcslawncare
02-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Take lots of pictures and keep us updated. Would like to see the process in action!

mowisme
02-25-2010, 06:52 AM
take extra time to remove and treat any rust on the base and inboard sides of the angle iron frame surrounding the bed. the boards trap the water/crud there and in time rots the metal. POR-15 ( no top coat needed) just the inboard sides of frame as mentioned and the axles/springs ( 1-quart by brush) before putting new wood down is what I'd do. I'd also double treat the ends of the boards with water sealant before installing. have fun

93Chevy
02-25-2010, 09:34 AM
take extra time to remove and treat any rust on the base and inboard sides of the angle iron frame surrounding the bed. the boards trap the water/crud there and in time rots the metal. POR-15 ( no top coat needed) just the inboard sides of frame as mentioned and the axles/springs ( 1-quart by brush) before putting new wood down is what I'd do. I'd also double treat the ends of the boards with water sealant before installing. have fun

That's good advice. Thank you, I'll be sure to use that trick before I paint.

Kennedy Landscaping
02-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Looked to me like the trimmer racks weren't in that bad of shape. I woulda kept them for parts if nothing else. Anyways have fun with it and keep us posted.

petroskie
02-25-2010, 11:51 AM
go to a parts store an pickup some of the paint stripper in the spray paint section, it sprays on just like spray pait and it will eat all the paint and gunk, strip it down to bare metal, fairly cheap and repaint with the truck bed coating in the aresol can, thats what i did when i redid my trailer for our quads and the stuff is bullet proof if you follow the DIRECTIONS, ani slip and looks good

mowisme
02-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Just so you don't fall over at counter. (A) it isn't at all auto paint supply stores..but some. (B) about $45-$55/qt. It is the best preventive measure you can spend on thou..your trailer is junk if frame rails get rusted to point of weak. What is nice about this is..the moisture 'strenghens' the paint. I am not associated to the company in any way..just going by experience- one of the few products that accually does all it is suppose to do. 1 qt goes a long way..use thou only on rusted (don't sand to shine- just loose stuff) metal and on inside of frame rail..not outside. if enough left..do axles to just help keep from rusting..and the fact too expensive to waste - not real long shelf life..will get rock hard. P.S. get off of hands before drying or your wearing it for a month. Geno

petroskie
02-25-2010, 12:29 PM
ya i was referring to like napa, autozone, formally know as schucks, krager depending were ur at, 90% of them carry the dupli color bed coating, ive used each type of it and found the spray to hold up much much better and you spray a color over it and it will hold. i was going by my experiance and a cheap route, apply spray stripper, wash soap and water, let dry or blow dry with leaf blower, let sit for an hour mybe scuff up the metal a bit with some scotch pad reclean and the hit it with bed spray

MikeKle
02-25-2010, 12:30 PM
I did this with an old 16ft tandem a few years ago. It had the normal rust and wood rot, as well as a very rigged electrical system! I actually did it the hard way, I went to town on it with a angle grinder and a drill mounted wire brush, I removed all the wood, and re-welded some stressed areas and got all the rust from where the boards sit, this was nasty, nasty work, and I had rust dust everywhere!! I wished I had thought to use a chemical stripper. The trailer did turn out nicely though, and I painted it with brush on rustoleum. It is kinda overwhelming to look at the trailer when it has no wood, and all the rust all over it!! And there is 4 sides to a piece of angle, so that is alot of grinding and brushing!!! It was a nice feeling when I was able to buy a brand new trailer last year, and didnt have to do any of that work to it!

93Chevy
02-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Looked to me like the trimmer racks weren't in that bad of shape. I woulda kept them for parts if nothing else. Anyways have fun with it and keep us posted.

They were rusted out at the bottom and had the tendency to sway back and forth, which does not vote well for any type of driving.

93Chevy
02-25-2010, 03:18 PM
go to a parts store an pickup some of the paint stripper in the spray paint section, it sprays on just like spray pait and it will eat all the paint and gunk, strip it down to bare metal, fairly cheap

That sounds a lot better than going to with an angle grinder and sandpaper. Thanks for the advice.

1 qt goes a long way..use thou only on rusted (don't sand to shine- just loose stuff) metal and on inside of frame rail..not outside. if enough left..do axles to just help keep from rusting..and the fact too expensive to waste - not real long shelf life..will get rock hard. P.S. get off of hands before drying or your wearing it for a month. Geno

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it. I'm trying to keep the project under $300, which I think I can do with stripper, paint, rust preventer, lumber, and electrical work. I might have some minor welding to do, but I can do that myself.

ya i was referring to like napa, autozone, formally know as schucks, krager depending were ur at, 90% of them carry the dupli color bed coating, ive used each type of it and found the spray to hold up much much better and you spray a color over it and it will hold. i was going by my experiance and a cheap route, apply spray stripper, wash soap and water, let dry or blow dry with leaf blower, let sit for an hour mybe scuff up the metal a bit with some scotch pad reclean and the hit it with bed spray

Sounds like a fast way to get it done. I might consider the spray bed liner. Thanks for the advice.

It is kinda overwhelming to look at the trailer when it has no wood, and all the rust all over it!! And there is 4 sides to a piece of angle, so that is alot of grinding and brushing!!!

Yeah, I agree. I can't start the project until next Friday at earliest, as soon as I get back home for a week of break from school. I just hope I have enough time to get this all done because I have a lot of other stuff lined up. It'll be such a nice feeling when it's all over and I don't have to worry about it.

SKYNYRD
02-25-2010, 08:19 PM
swing on over some time tim, i'l break out the compressor and air tools. we'll have that pupply lookin new in less than 3 days:drinkup:

here's what you do, any place there's rust take it down to bare metal making sure you go at least an inch past where the rust stops in each direction. scuff the non rusted areas up real good with a red scotch pad. wipe everything down with mineral spirits or paint thinner, give the everything 3 light coats of rustoleum grey professional primer than top coat with whatever color you want. that specific primer is excellent stuff, i burn threw cases come nice weather. when you get paint chips the primer stays intact. very rarely will you get chipped/scratched to bare metal. have fun doin it:waving:

93Chevy
02-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the primer and rust advice George. :waving:

You forgot to add topcoat with a layer of fluid film :hammerhead::laugh:

I'll be up next Friday, have the couch cleaned off and a spot in the driveway. :laugh:

SKYNYRD
02-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the primer and rust advice George. :waving:

You forgot to add topcoat with a layer of fluid film :hammerhead::laugh:

I'll be up next Friday, have the couch cleaned off and a spot in the driveway. :laugh:

i'll have the wheel horse all gassed up and ready to haul the trailer right up to the shed:weightlifter::weightlifter:

i would undercoat it with fluid film but idk about doin the top. if you wanted to do the top i would rub it on like a wax. you really don't wanna rub up against the trailer and get it on your hands or clothes;)

deere615
02-25-2010, 08:54 PM
This should turn out pretty nice, cant wait to see more pictures

93Chevy
02-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Wish I had someplace to do it indoors, but I guess I can't have everything.

Brad, instead of making money on that big job I lost, I decided to spend it instead. :laugh:

MikeKle
02-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Those C channels where the wood fits between at the top and bottom of the trailer are usually the worst, as water will sit in either end and will destroy the frame and wood. Might be good to drill some small 1/8" holes along the bottom at the back end? Oh and I had a hell of a time getting that last board in there! We used a 2x4 to bend the board, but it still took us a couple hours, Now I would just cut the flat metal piece that is welded in after the boards go in, then weld it back.

SKYNYRD
02-25-2010, 09:45 PM
mikekle gave me an idea tim, before you put the new planks down coat the top of the rails with fluid film:cool2:

deere615
02-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Wish I had someplace to do it indoors, but I guess I can't have everything.

Brad, instead of making money on that big job I lost, I decided to spend it instead. :laugh:

Lol that happens to me everyday if I am not working I am spending! If had had a place I would offer to come down here but our garage currently has my dads truck and moms car. The place where I got my trailer stored would work but there is no lights/power:cry:

93Chevy
02-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Those C channels where the wood fits between at the top and bottom of the trailer are usually the worst, as water will sit in either end and will destroy the frame and wood. Might be good to drill some small 1/8" holes along the bottom at the back end? Oh and I had a hell of a time getting that last board in there! We used a 2x4 to bend the board, but it still took us a couple hours, Now I would just cut the flat metal piece that is welded in after the boards go in, then weld it back.

That's a good idea. I'll keep that in mind whenever I replace the decking.

Lol that happens to me everyday if I am not working I am spending! If had had a place I would offer to come down here but our garage currently has my dads truck and moms car. The place where I got my trailer stored would work but there is no lights/power:cry:

Thanks for throwing that out there. I'm sure I can find a spot, I just don't really want to move it when it's got wet paint.

93Chevy
03-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Here's stage 1, completed as of 5:30 PM. It's not perfect, but the trailer is 10 years old. It was in pretty bad shape before, as you can see. Can't wait to get the final coats on in the next few days.

SKYNYRD
03-08-2010, 08:30 PM
lookin real good tim!

petroskie
03-08-2010, 10:50 PM
trailer looks great, maybe its the pic but the front axle looks a little bent, may wanna double check that just to be safe. keep the pics comming

deere615
03-08-2010, 10:58 PM
looking good so far, not sure what kinda axles his has but some are made like that to take the wieght I know mine on my dump trailer is

petroskie
03-08-2010, 11:02 PM
o ok, i have never seen that but ya learn sumthing new everyday. miine are straight, i checked when i got it.

SKYNYRD
03-08-2010, 11:03 PM
i don't know much about trailes but every double axle one i've ever seen had bent axle tubes. even the new ones at the tractor supply store are bent

MikeKle
03-09-2010, 12:45 AM
God, those pics bring back nightmares for me when I did all that to a trailer, I swear I had that nasty rust/metal taste in my mouth for a week after! I see you choose red, You may not like that color in time? I too thought a red trailer would e cool, but ended up hating it a week later, but not sure why? Looks like you did a good job though.

Hawg City Lawns
03-09-2010, 12:54 AM
you know what you should lay the boards and stain them with some kind of heavy duty fence stain ive always wondered how that would look or hold up

deere615
03-09-2010, 07:31 PM
that almost just looks like a rusty metal primer not the actual paint

93Chevy
03-09-2010, 08:48 PM
trailer looks great, maybe its the pic but the front axle looks a little bent, may wanna double check that just to be safe. keep the pics comming

Yeah, they're supposed to be bent to handle the weight better.

looking good so far, not sure what kinda axles his has but some are made like that to take the wieght I know mine on my dump trailer is

Yeah, that's why they're bent.

God, those pics bring back nightmares for me when I did all that to a trailer, I swear I had that nasty rust/metal taste in my mouth for a week after! I see you choose red, You may not like that color in time? I too thought a red trailer would e cool, but ended up hating it a week later, but not sure why? Looks like you did a good job though.

It's just the primer in that pic. It'll be gloss black when it's all said and done.

that almost just looks like a rusty metal primer not the actual paint

That's because it is rusty metal primer. Good eye. It'll be black before the week's out if I can only get the time in to paint it between work.

deere615
03-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Yep same way I painted my dump trailer. I am not getting nothing done this week due to jury duty... ugghh

93Chevy
03-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Oh, that sucks man. I don't think I'd mind actually sitting on a jury, but that would be a terrible waste of time.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a coat of black on tomorrow, or at least most of it. I'll only have a couple hours in the morning before I have to be at work.

93Chevy
03-09-2010, 09:39 PM

I know man, I'm finding red paint dust everywhere I turn. All over my clothers, boots, face, ears...I even wore a mask and I can still taste it. Terrible. I'm NEVER doing this again unless somebody pays me a lot for it...I would have enjoyed it more had I gotten paid, but I will have a huge sense of satisfaction when I'm all said and done.

Swampy
03-09-2010, 10:22 PM
LOL. You wanted to save the coin my friend.

At my full time job thats why we rotate trailers into winter work, after a few years the salt's get to them and we sell them. At that time they are just about wore out, but will run a few more years, and update. Right now its the skid loader trailer. We do this with all the trailers except the 32ft'er, its expensive plus its a pain to pull in the winter.

It looks good. But if you didn't like the taste you should have just sand blasted it. I found a guy that is blasting my flat bed for 150 includeing primer, as long as I supply the primer and remove the boards. 150 includes the frame rails, topside and underside of the bed (need new clamps) and tool box.

93Chevy
03-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Yeah, you're right, it would have been easier to have had it sandblasted and I wouldn't have burned out my angle grinder. Lesson learned. :laugh:

rcslawncare
03-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Looking real good! Every time you see if it will be worth it, especially behind your truck!!!

deere615
03-10-2010, 08:43 PM
I know man, I'm finding red paint dust everywhere I turn. All over my clothers, boots, face, ears...I even wore a mask and I can still taste it. Terrible. I'm NEVER doing this again unless somebody pays me a lot for it...I would have enjoyed it more had I gotten paid, but I will have a huge sense of satisfaction when I'm all said and done.

Theres alot of things like that I do and wish I get paid for! but the satisfaction is nice I guess...

93Chevy
03-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I heard that. I just wish I actually enjoyed refurbing my trailer.

SKYNYRD
03-11-2010, 10:00 PM
i love doin stuff like that, i find it fun and relaxing providing the weather is nice and i aint rushed

deere615
03-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Yeah you had some real nice days to do that better get your life preserver for this weekend though!

93Chevy
03-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I'm dreading this. At least I don't have to do any work this weekend. And my trailer is inside, so I don't have to worry.

mowerdude777
03-14-2010, 05:14 PM
I just looked through this thread and I must say that the trailer looks great so fat I cant wait to see it when it is finished.

93Chevy
03-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks Ryan...I'd have more pics, but I either keep forgetting to take my camera to the shop or my batteries are dead. Tomorrow...tomorrow...but I guess I keep saying that, haha.

mowerdude777
03-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks Ryan...I'd have more pics, but I either keep forgetting to take my camera to the shop or my batteries are dead. Tomorrow...tomorrow...but I guess I keep saying that, haha.

Oh ok I know how that goes that is why I never got pics up here until recently. I now am having issues with my computer on posting pics:cry:

SKYNYRD
03-14-2010, 07:30 PM
cheer up ryan, it will get better! this will make u smile, tim there is the newest member of the fluid film army:weightlifter:

93Chevy
03-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Here's the finished product!

I'm real happy with it. Can't wait to start using it in the next few weeks.

SKYNYRD
03-15-2010, 07:55 PM
looks good my friend:drinkup: i'd park it the sun for a day or two to try and cure that paintjob fully

93Chevy
03-15-2010, 07:59 PM
looks good my friend:drinkup: i'd park it the sun for a day or two to try and cure that paintjob fully

That's just what's going to happen. :drinkup:

deere615
03-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Sun we in pittsburgh only see that a couple times a year! No but really looks good, better than my new one!

mowerdude777
03-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Man oh man that turned out GREAT that looks like a completely difrent trailer. What will you be towing in it?

93Chevy
03-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks Brad. I'd like to paint the wheels next year, replace the gate bars, add a small tongue box, 3 foot sides, and trimmer/blower/gas can racks.

93Chevy
03-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Man oh man that turned out GREAT that looks like a completely difrent trailer. What will you be towing in it?

Thanks bud, that was the plan :drinkup:.

I'll mainly be hauling my mowers, and when I put sides on it, I'll be hauling debris, mulch, etc. It'll basically be a non-dumping dump trailer.

SKYNYRD
03-15-2010, 08:08 PM

all the fluid film he promised to buy once he gets some revenue in:weightlifter::weightlifter:

rcslawncare
03-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Looks really good! I love new looking trailers!!!

mowerdude777
03-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks bud, that was the plan :drinkup:.

I'll mainly be hauling my mowers, and when I put sides on it, I'll be hauling debris, mulch, etc. It'll basically be a non-dumping dump trailer.

Allright what type of mowers are you running. I think when I get a truck I will get another trailer and have my helper drive the van with the mowers and I will drive the truck with the other trailer for leaves. But who knows I have time to think it out I could just have a leaf box

93Chevy
03-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Allright what type of mowers are you running. I think when I get a truck I will get another trailer and have my helper drive the van with the mowers and I will drive the truck with the other trailer for leaves. But who knows I have time to think it out I could just have a leaf box

I run Snapper Pro because of price and dealer support.

If you want some advice, I think it would be better to have you and your helper in the same truck. There's less chance for adverse liability of having two vehicles on the road. I'll leave guys on the job, no problem, but unless I work with somebody a long time and really know them, I'd never send them out alone.

Not trying to tell you what to do, but that's just another side of the equation.

93Chevy
03-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Looks really good! I love new looking trailers!!!

Thanks man :drinkup:

I'm real glad it's all over with. :laugh::laugh:

I'll pay somebody to do that next time, but it was very rewarding to see something I can do with my hands that I have little skill in.

93Chevy
03-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Here's a side-by-side comparison of before and after. I wish I had taken more pics of it before I started, but I didn't really like looking at it.

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs202.snc1/6928_517924729042_151101669_30798407_4584854_n.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs410.snc3/24809_521934233962_151101669_30928462_4375688_n.jpg

SKYNYRD
03-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks man :drinkup:

I'm real glad it's all over with. :laugh::laugh:

I'll pay somebody to do that next time, but it was very rewarding to see something I can do with my hands that I have little skill in.

i work for a decent ratepayup:cool2:

93Chevy
03-15-2010, 08:34 PM
i work for a decent ratepayup:cool2:

How's about I pay you in fluid film?

SKYNYRD
03-15-2010, 08:39 PM
How's about I pay you in fluid film?

i'd have to punch some figures but it might be cheaper to pay cash;):laugh:

mowerdude777
03-15-2010, 09:14 PM
all the fluid film he promised to buy once he gets some revenue in:weightlifter::weightlifter:

Nice I think if he is only towing ff he should have kept it red:laugh: But seirsousl it looks great in black

mowerdude777
03-15-2010, 09:56 PM
I run Snapper Pro because of price and dealer support.

If you want some advice, I think it would be better to have you and your helper in the same truck. There's less chance for adverse liability of having two vehicles on the road. I'll leave guys on the job, no problem, but unless I work with somebody a long time and really know them, I'd never send them out alone.

Not trying to tell you what to do, but that's just another side of the equation.

Oh allright my dealer only sells some snapper but I like snapper I use to have a OLd commerical 21 that lasted forever it seemed. I I think I would be better off with one truck and a leaf box more now that I think about it anyways, however i would trust my helper enough to drive alone. I have been close friends to him since we were 4 years old.

MikeKle
03-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Looks like a brand new trailer now! Isnt it a great feeling to look at it when its done, and know you did all the work and saved all kind of money?!! Just curious, did you use the brush on Rustoleum or another type of paint? GREAT JOB!

93Chevy
03-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Looks like a brand new trailer now! Isnt it a great feeling to look at it when its done, and know you did all the work and saved all kind of money?!! Just curious, did you use the brush on Rustoleum or another type of paint? GREAT JOB!

I used brand XO Rust, which my local hardware store sells. But yes, I brushed and rolled it on. Thanks for the compliments. I don't ever want to do that again, but it's very rewarding to look at what I did.

Dano50
03-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Nice accomplishment! That trailer looks awesome.

93Chevy
03-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Nice accomplishment! That trailer looks awesome.

Thanks Dano!!

I used a whole can of fluid film on it too!

AkRowdyA78
03-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Hey the trailer turned out great! Did you spray the trailer yourself and what kind of paint did you use? Thanks and again, nice job!

93Chevy
03-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Hey the trailer turned out great! Did you spray the trailer yourself and what kind of paint did you use? Thanks and again, nice job!

Thanks guy! I used XO Rust red metal primer and XO Rust glass black enamel. I brushed and rolled the paint on, I didn't spray. I did use spray cans for the expanded metal, but that's it. Hope that helped.

MikeKle
03-25-2010, 08:56 PM
You almost have to spray the expanded metal, it is a nightmare to try to brush it on!

93Chevy
03-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Yeah, it could be rolled, I think, but not very efficiently.

deere615
03-25-2010, 09:16 PM
when I painted my dump trailer I think I rolled with alot of paint on the roller then sprayed anything I missed

93Chevy
03-25-2010, 09:26 PM
when I painted my dump trailer I think I rolled with alot of paint on the roller then sprayed anything I missed

Yeah, that's the best way to get it.

topsites
03-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Just out of curiosity, roughly speaking and if you don't mind telling...
How much did that set you back?

Just trying to figure something out :p

93Chevy
03-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Just out of curiosity, roughly speaking and if you don't mind telling...
How much did that set you back?

Just trying to figure something out :p

The trailer was $500, but regardless,

The decking, electrical, paint, and grinder wheels cost me between $400 and $500.

Plus, I nailed about $500 right after I bought the trailer to get ready for inspection, which included some suspension and axle components.

Basically, altogether, it was easily under $2000, closer to $1500