PDA

View Full Version : Palm Tree Light

MEXANDME
02-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Does anyone have a good link or a supplier reference for the following type 12V light?

IT IS BOTH AND UP-LIGHT AND A DOWN-LIGHT (2 BULBS IN THE SAME FIXTURE) AND IT MOUNTS ABOUT HALF WAY UP THE TRUNK OF TALL PALM TREES.

Thanks / Regards,

Mex

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-24-2010, 05:59 PM
I dont know of a specific fixture designed for Palm Trees as described, however there are a number of MR16 based up/down fixtures on the market. finding one that uses a 1/2 NPT stem, like the Nightscaping Dualiter in Copper and then going to one of the following strap mounts will probably do the trick for you.

http://www.bklighting.com/products.php?ID=467

http://www.hevilite.com/catalog/listingview.php?listingID=124

http://www.vision3lighting.com/prod4.asp?cid=43&pid=69&lid=116

Of course you will need to maintain the strap mounts on a fairly regular basis as the trees grow.

Lite4
02-24-2010, 08:12 PM
I have seen these types of lights used on some trees here near one of my jobs and I have to say it looked really strange and not attractive at all. Why can't you just light it from the bottom of the tree. If it's too tall, go to a line voltage product.

The Lighting Geek
02-24-2010, 10:09 PM
I use 35 or 50 watt depending on the height, and usually a 38 degree or narrower, also depending on the height. I typically use 4 fixtures per tree. These are of a demo I did a couple of years ago. It sold the job, which was 250 fixtures.

MEXANDME
02-24-2010, 10:20 PM
My intentions were to light each Palm with 2 MR16 bullets with 35W bulbs. The trees are only visible from the street.

However, the light I described above is "what the customer is insisting upon."

Thanks for your replies!

Regards,

Mex

Pro-Scapes
02-24-2010, 10:34 PM
I have seen these types of lights used on some trees here near one of my jobs and I have to say it looked really strange and not attractive at all. Why can't you just light it from the bottom of the tree. If it's too tall, go to a line voltage product.

You would be surprised how far up a 75w 12 degree spot will go. I do not think a dual lighter type fixture is going to come close to the pop you will get if you do this from the ground with the right lamps.

I just got a load of 42w 9 degree MR16 lamps for an interior spec job. Man are these things intense

Stop and ask yourself this. If you know its not right and its going to look bad why do it. Its your reputation that will end up underlit in the end

JoeyD
02-25-2010, 10:35 AM
Its hard to do but ask the homeowner how many lighting jobs they have done? Those up and down lights in the middle of the trunck always look funny to me. Nothing better than an uplit palm with a par36!

The suggestions that James made are your best options. Let them know the maintaining of those lights ins a real PITA!

Lite4
02-25-2010, 03:30 PM
You would be surprised how far up a 75w 12 degree spot will go. I do not think a dual lighter type fixture is going to come close to the pop you will get if you do this from the ground with the right lamps.

I just got a load of 42w 9 degree MR16 lamps for an interior spec job. Man are these things intense

Stop and ask yourself this. If you know its not right and its going to look bad why do it. Its your reputation that will end up underlit in the end

Your probably right on the 75 watters. I havn't seen photometric data on anything above some of the 50 watters. (of course I rarely ever need anything above a 35 watter)

Alan B
02-25-2010, 03:57 PM
I agree that up lighting is the way to go. However if you are looking for an up-down light I wanted to give you view of one our new products. Believe it or not, it was developed with the collaboration advice of some forum members from lawn site as to what was lacking in existing up-down sconces. We incorporated those suggestions to manufacture the fixture attached...

Some of the reasons why someone may choose this sconce over others:
-the glass lens was made with edges etched (thinner thickness glass around perimeter) so that the center would stick out from the top of the fixture by .5mm. This means no puddling of water on top lens.
-the lens is completely sealed so no moisture can leak in.
-body screws together tightly onto o-rings.
-The extension arm is built to make the fixture mounted farther from the wall so light does not get blocked by aggregate surfaces, stones, headers. better coverage of wall.
-the stem and overall construction thicker and more solid brass all around, with tighter seals at lens and body.
-pre-greased dielectric grease, heat shrink tubing over internal connection, silicon sealed where lead wires leave fixture. 3.2 lbs of weight.
-fixed sockets with heat reflectors.
Comes standard with 25' spt-2 16AWG tinned copper lead wire. Rated to 35 w x 2 mr16.

James no not UL/ULc listed yet. We will UL list our complete line once all our custom designed products are completed.

Hope I don't get castrated for mentioning a new fixture or our custom design, but felt it was relevant to OP's specific question.

Cheers,

Alan

Alan B
02-25-2010, 04:05 PM
BTW I just realize you were asking for an up-down bullet light not up down sconce. My post is not for a tree app (unless it was a VERY straight tree) since it can't be adjusted/angled.

Pro-Scapes
02-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Your probably right on the 75 watters. I havn't seen photometric data on anything above some of the 50 watters. (of course I rarely ever need anything above a 35 watter)

The same project we did with Burt on the cover of the magazine this month has a section that is 4 stories tall with a patio area on top of that. 75w 12 degree lamp @ upper 11v made short work of it. All the way to the top with no problems

MEXANDME
02-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the additional replies.

These trees are only 15 - 18 feet tall, are not real straight-trunked, and have the old frond blanket on them.

They certainly do not lend themselves to the type of light that the homeowner is insisting upon.

I will take the advise of this board and just inform the customer that I cannot do what he wants. I will offer a nighttime demo with the MR16's @ 35W / 12*.

It is not a big job if I have to walk away from it........only 17 lights.

I will post later as to how it all turns out.

Regards,

Mex

sal rodriguez
02-26-2010, 10:47 PM
I have to agree. Being in California where we have Palm trees I can honestly say that those Up/down lights in the middle of the trunk really don't look good. Since palms are fiberous they do not take mounting screws well and straps are never good. Just becomes a problem fixture up there. Just MHO