PDA

View Full Version : Lighting big tree canopys

ilc79
02-24-2010, 07:05 PM
If you were lighting under a 15-18" caliper oak or maple tree with a big canopy would you use a par 36 well light or bullets and how many and what watt bulbs would you use? And I have noticed most people here in ga. use a 20 watt mr16 on most trees that are 4-6" caliper with 2 lights, what do you reccomend?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Really hard to just jump in here and answer your question with specifics... A photo would help greatly.

There are so many variables at play it is pretty hard to just set down some 'rules' here. A lot will depend on ground conditions, canopy density, branch structure, sight lines, ambient light, etc etc.

Can you provide a photo?

Lots of experience here with large trees... but around these parts we call trees large when they are 3+ Feet in dia. and 60-80-100+ feet high. :)

JoeyD
02-25-2010, 10:38 AM
In my experience with large oaks there is nothing better than a WFL par36 20 or 35w lamp to do the job. Depending on the size of the tree it could take 3,4 even 5 lamps to light it properly. Now whether you use a Well Light or an above gorund light is up to you and the terrain. I love well lights for this type of lighting as long as you and the customer are commited to maintenance.

I also really like the combination of tree/down lights in conjunction with uplights in large multi trunk trees.

ilc79
02-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Joey thanks I have done a few jobs and Jhy with unique in florida has helped me with some jobs but have never done any really large trees before thanks for the reply.

JoeyD
02-25-2010, 11:09 AM
You got it! Best of luck.

BrandonV
02-25-2010, 08:56 PM
just be careful with the trenching!!!!! i've seen a few of these beauties killed by uplights. trench in and not across!