PDA

View Full Version : Bagging, leaf clean up

Joel B.
06-10-2002, 04:14 PM
How do you charge for leaf cleanup and/or bagging. Do you come out once when all the leaves are down, or a couple times? Do customers ever complain if you pick up leaves a couple of times instead of just waiting until they are all down and doing it once?

Here in Minnesota, if we wait until all the leaves have fallen before picking them up we could be in trouble if we get an early snow that covers up all the leaves and then the leaves are there all winter, not good.

I was thinking about charging my normal mowing rate plus a pre-determined amount for every lawn bag I fill up. Does anyone else do this?

Thanks again for all the advice,

Joel B.

nitelife222
06-10-2002, 04:49 PM
it just depends on the customer and your location. i pesonally hate leaves but it comes with the job. and if there are not to many leaves i will just multch them if there are alot then we charge extra for raking and bagging them.

Matt'slawncare
06-10-2002, 06:01 PM
Well i just charge my normal rate per hour then add a price per bag that i fill up. I live in MN too and i normaly do it twice cuz i dont want the snow to hit cuz that has happend to me before. So where do you live in MN?

Joel B.
06-10-2002, 06:22 PM
Hi Matt,

I'm in Plymouth, where are you? I'm thinking about starting a mowing/plowing business and trying to get as much advice/information as I can. How much do you charge per bag? Do you do any snow plowing?

Just out of curiosity, what would you charge to mow/trim/blow a 1/2 acre lot (minus house, drive, garage, etc...)?

Thanks for any advice,

Joel B.

maple city
06-10-2002, 08:32 PM
We do a lot of leaf jobs. First of all, I never bag leaves. I use a tarp and throw them in the truck or on the trailer. If there aren't a lot, I will mulch and bag as much as possible. We have so many leaf jobs, that we are looking into getting a good vaccuum system for this fall.

We work in 2 areas, one has non-bagged curb-side leaf pick-up, the other doesn't. If I haul the leaves away, it's double the mowing rate. On a 30.00 yard, I charge 60.00. If I can blow them out to the curb and leave them for the city to pick up, I charge about 10.00 more than I do to mow.

We usually do leaves 2 times per customer in the fall. Some more, some less. If they want me to wait until they are all down, the price goes up.

I usually try to get the customer to go for gutter cleaning along with the leaf jobs. I will give them a package deal like 150.00 for both (depending on the size of the house and the gutter system).