PDA

View Full Version : need partner for retaining walls

csl
02-24-2010, 09:44 PM
i need some help. we build a lot of retaining walls, and have the option to bid on a large project starting soon. it is an Allan Block retaining wall, and is a total of 20,000 square feet of wall. the problem is that the designer is requiring at least 100,000 feet of retaining wall experience within the last 2 years. so if anyone is interested in helping us out, we can discuss all the details, but i would need to have someone that has this amount of experience. just PM me if interested. thanks.

Rocha_Construction
02-24-2010, 10:06 PM
I believe that any company that has more than 100,000 SF of retaining wall in 2 years will not probably need from you....

Good luck though.

DVS Hardscaper
02-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Yep, a company doing 50,000 SF a year is already fully aware of this job. They have people that do nothing but go to bid rooms and look at Dodge Reports, and equivilant bid opportunities.

Not to mention the engineer probably structured such an requirment so that the job could only be awarded to one particular contractor that he wants to see get the job. He's probably going to get a vacation for 2 to Hawaii out of it.

I have a buddy that sells heavy equipment. The county would ask him to write the bid specs when it would come time to purchase backhoes, loaders, etc. So, naturally he would write the specs so that the brand of machinery he sells would be the only brand to meet the specs. To this date, for the last 18 years the majority of the county's heavy equipment has been one particular brand. Amazing how that happened :)

csl
02-24-2010, 11:48 PM
actually they do need us. this is not an open for bid wall, the contractor has already been chosen and he is in the process of finding the right company to install the wall to his given specs. i have spoke with them and they are actually doing all the leg work trying to find someone. so thanks for the help.

DVS Hardscaper
02-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Ok, then i'm confused.

The folks at allenblock could easily give them 20 names of people qualified.

Thats how the owner of Cornerstone got his start. He built monster walls all over Canada and the United States.

csl
02-25-2010, 01:36 AM
for this project there are several general contractors involved. the general that is charge of the earthwork needs to find someone with 100,000 feet of experience. he has already been awarded the bid based on prelim estimates. better?

DVS Hardscaper
02-25-2010, 09:28 AM
actually they do need us. this is not an open for bid wall, the contractor has already been chosen and he is in the process of finding the right company to install the wall to his given specs. i have spoke with them and they are actually doing all the leg work trying to find someone. so thanks for the help.

I don't mean to sound all knowing, and I certainly hope you'll prove me wrong, and I do wish you the best of luck, I really do. I'm betting that the contractor will infact successfully find an out of town or out of state contractor that specializes in such jobs.

This is typical. Especially in Federial Goverment projects. The money is available and the contract has been issued to a G.C. The G.C will then solicit bids, select a contractor, and do the work.

I guarantee you the G.C. has the BlueBook sitting ontop of a file cabinet right next to his desk. Or a link to thebluebook.com saved on his internet. If he doesn't take that route, on a 300,000 SF job - you can be assured he's calling Allen Block and askin for contractor's names.

http://www.thebluebook.com/an/wsnsa.dll/WService=wsbrk1/mybb.htm?tab=mybb&request=listing&bkid=22&cls=3515&srch=keyword&keyword=retaining%20wall%20contractors&pg=1

Good luck and please keep us posted :)

csl
02-26-2010, 12:06 PM
anyone else available to help out. thanks to those of you who have PM'd me.