PDA

View Full Version : Rank these mower companies in order. best to worst

slicknick
02-24-2010, 11:22 PM
Simple question, just looking for some opinions. Put these brands in order of what you'd buy from best to worst.

Exmark, Scag, Ferris, Bunton, Snapperpro, Encore, Redhawk, Toro, Husqvarna, Yazoo, Grasshopper, Badboy, Bobcat, Lesco, Great Dane, any others I forgot. Thanks!

CLARK LAWN
02-24-2010, 11:23 PM
what dealers are in your area and do they have parts for the stuff they sell? that would answer your question.

slicknick
02-24-2010, 11:26 PM
what dealers are in your area and do they have parts for the stuff they sell? that would answer your question.

In my area I have multiple dealers within a 100 mile radius that SELLS the equipment, and even more that service equipment that they dont sell. Im looking online (ebay, craigslist, this website) for a mower to buy and I just need some advice since my budget is limited to 3500-4000 on a mower. Seems like I can get a redmax for 2000 (hydro brand new, yes chinese i know, but if it cuts good and does the job....) ferris and snapperpro are cheaper but i really want an exmark but i cant find any around my area in my price range that are good quality.

mowerbrad
02-24-2010, 11:31 PM
This is a question that will have completely different answers from everyone. For example I may put Yazoo as one of the 'worse' brands while someone else may rank them as one of the 'best' brands. I have experience with only a few of the brands that you listed, so some of them I would rank toward the bottom but they could actually be very good mowers.

Like the previous poster stated, it will depend on what dealers are in your area as to how you will rank the mowers.

If you ask me, the top brands are (in no particular order)....John Deere, Exmark, Toro, Scag, Hustler.

slicknick
02-24-2010, 11:33 PM
This is a question that will have completely different answers from everyone. For example I may put Yazoo as one of the 'worse' brands while someone else may rank them as one of the 'best' brands.

Like the previous poster stated, it will depend on what dealers are in your area as to how you will rank the mowers.

Well Im looking for opinions because I can't rank the mowers since I have no experience with them. I asked the question to see where people rank them and that includes everyone's personal opinion.

mike174
02-25-2010, 12:47 AM
Simple question, just looking for some opinions. Put these brands in order of what you'd buy from best to worst.

Exmark, Scag, Ferris, Bunton, Snapperpro, Encore, Redhawk, Toro, Husqvarna, Yazoo, Grasshopper, Badboy, Bobcat, Lesco, Great Dane, any others I forgot. Thanks!

I'll play your game, but I haven't used all brands (like most people) so it's biased:

Mowers: 1) Scag 2) Exmark (fight it out people :dizzy:) 3) Toro 4) Bobcat ...the rest I've never used so the order doesn't matter to me (they all suck to the previous list)...although the mid west guys will bash me on Great Dane, Badboy & others :)

Puddle of Oil
02-25-2010, 12:51 AM
Great Dane all the way!!!! :cool2::cool2:

mike174
02-25-2010, 12:51 AM
I was assuming you meant walk behinds...Wright Stander is the way to go if you want walk behind handling with ZTR time.

Merkava_4
02-25-2010, 01:06 AM
There's actually a mower named "Yazoo?" :laugh:

Yazoo will cost you up the Wazoo. :laugh:

topsites
02-25-2010, 02:49 AM
I decline to answer.

Richard Martin
02-25-2010, 03:21 AM
This much I know. The Red Hawk would be the last mower I would buy. In fact, I wouldn't even put that Chinese commie crap in a list with American made mowers.

Merkava_4
02-25-2010, 03:33 AM
Isn't there a Dixie something-or-whether?

Dixie Chopper is it? :confused:

Danlevan
02-25-2010, 03:41 AM
That would depend on model and year. What size / type of mower are you looking for and what are you going to do with it? Hustler outfront for acreage, woods/grasshopper frontmount small - medium lots side discharge, deere 7 iron m665 737 757 midmount small medium lots awesome collection capabilities ( spring fall cleanup), honda pushmower, exmark walkbehinds with ecs, exmark and scag mowers are also very well built.

Richard Martin
02-25-2010, 03:48 AM
Isn't there a Dixie something-or-whether?

Dixie Chopper is it? :confused:

Yaeah. Dixie Chopper. And that's Mr. Dixie Chopper to you newbie.

jmullins6987
02-25-2010, 08:13 AM
bobcat, exmark, scag, toro. The bob-cat is one of the oldest style w.b on the market. There simple yet commercial design works. The scag is just overpriced and the decks crack.

MOHUSTLER
02-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Easy answer, they are all the best or worst however u want to look at it. Now rate your dealers best to worst and that is your answer!!!

Valk
02-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Belt/gear, single hydro, double hydro...or gas or diesel? Walk, slide, ride, sit, stand??

What's your favorite mower color? That'll narrow it down QUICK! (pun intended :laugh:)

topsites
02-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Oh sure, a simple question, just like solving a quadratic equation...
Which is simple all right, until someone doesn't know how...
So how much am I getting paid for doing this?

Valk
02-25-2010, 02:19 PM
EVERYTHING 'round here is 2 cents...but, you already knew that!

Gunnels Grounds & More
02-25-2010, 04:13 PM
1, Cub cadet 2, Badboy 3, Ferris

Hoy landscaping
02-25-2010, 04:25 PM
1. SCAG
2. exmark
i wouldnt consider any others

Hoy landscaping
02-25-2010, 05:08 PM
what a pointless thread, you must be like what 15?

i agree this is pointless

becpropertymaint.
02-25-2010, 05:10 PM
my mowers the best:cool2:

Classic Cuts Lawn Service
02-25-2010, 07:38 PM
I like my Toros best but I have only really used exmark scag and toro but they are all very well oiled machines

integrityman
02-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Scag, Toro, Exmark, Hustler, Ferris, Grasshopper are ALL fine machines. No or poor maintenance will make a good machine a piece of $hit.

TeamLawnCare
02-25-2010, 08:53 PM
The best ones are the ones that run and most importantly are paid for....

Landscraper1
02-25-2010, 10:16 PM
1, Cub cadet 2, Badboy 3, Ferris

Ha Ha Ha very funny:laugh:

Landscraper1
02-25-2010, 10:21 PM

Need more info. Are you looking at rider, hydro walks. belt walks, it makes a difference. A manufacturer can make a great rider but, a lousy walkbehind.:confused:

lawnlandscape
02-25-2010, 10:28 PM
1) Grasshopper (most versatile)
2) Toro
3) Bobcat
4) Hustler

Apparently not your ordinary list, but that's my feel.
*trucewhiteflag*

EcoGreen Services
02-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Exmark, Scag, Ferris Bunton Snapperpro Toro, Husqvarna Bobcat

From what I've owned
1. Kubota
For ZT's
1. Toro
For WB's .You can't kill the gear drive WBs
3. Ferris
The ProCut 61"s aren't too popular anymore but workhorses.
4. Ariens
Make a good 21" with the 6hp Kawi

5. Hasslevarna
POS

Can't comment on the others

I'm thinking of adding Quick 36 WB this year. Quite a bit less expensive than the Toros

slicknick
02-25-2010, 11:04 PM
well thanks to those of you who took the time to post your OPINIONS. yes i was asking for OPINIONS. Lawnsite is full of jerks and if you dont want to read it, or respond to it, then dont click on it. Im looking to buy a mower, start up money is tight, so they best thing I thought to do was to get OPINIONS from lawncare vets to help me in my decision. cant believe some of you guys on here. SMH

lawnlandscape
02-25-2010, 11:06 PM
well thanks to those of you who took the time to post your OPINIONS. yes i was asking for OPINIONS. Lawnsite is full of jerks and if you dont want to read it, or respond to it, then dont click on it. Im looking to buy a mower, start up money is tight, so they best thing I thought to do was to get OPINIONS from lawncare vets to help me in my decision. cant believe some of you guys on here. SMH

hope you make the right choice slick! good luck :)

slicknick
02-25-2010, 11:09 PM
hope you make the right choice slick! good luck :)

Thanks, if money wasn't so tight I'd have an exmark in my garage right now. I think Ill have to go with a cheaper mower this year, hopefully it wont fall apart on me midseason :usflag:

EcoGreen Services
02-25-2010, 11:14 PM
If money is tight, Don't worry about the brand so much.

If you're looking for a WB, Call the local Golf Courses. WB's don't normally see a lot of hours at them. None of them use off brands,

If they lease and most do, Normally they're never over 3 years old. find out from who and call them for a price. Don't be afraid to negotiate.

Up here a 3 year old machine goes for about 30%-40% of new.

Just a thought.

slicknick
02-25-2010, 11:23 PM
If money is tight, Don't worry about the brand so much.

If you're looking for a WB, Call the local Golf Courses. WB's don't normally see a lot of hours at them. None of them use off brands,

If they lease and most do, Normally they're never over 3 years old. find out from who and call them for a price. Don't be afraid to negotiate.

Up here a 3 year old machine goes for about 30%-40% of new.

Just a thought.

Thanks, Now this is good advice! :weightlifter:

integrityman
02-25-2010, 11:25 PM

Lawnsite is a GREAT resource. There is such a wide and varied user base here, you can get an answer for just about anything. There are a few wieners on here, but, I think the majority are pretty decent- who wont steer you wrong.

lawnlandscape
02-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Lawnsite is a GREAT resource. There is such a wide and varied user base here, you can get an answer for just about anything. There are a few wieners on here, but, I think the majority are pretty decent- who wont steer you wrong.

integrityman - The name says it all :clapping:

slamjamrockinman
02-26-2010, 12:02 AM
O, forgot to add. Let's say someone says, look at a toro t-bar. Ya, great starter machines, but the deck is garbage. You would be cursing that SFS deck all season long if you got a wet summer. Just be careful is all I'm trying to say, I am speaking from past mistakes. See if the seller will let you take it for a day and try it out before you buy it (this is rare, but it may work). If you look at one, make sure you go home, type in the model on the Lawnsite search bar, and read all about it. Make sure you know which model cutting deck is on it and know all the common flaws that were prominent on the machine you are looking to buy. READ READ, READ and keep reading. Good luck with your search!

I MOW ALONE
02-26-2010, 12:38 AM
Thanks, if money wasn't so tight I'd have an exmark in my garage right now. I think Ill have to go with a cheaper mower this year, hopefully it wont fall apart on me midseason :usflag:

i offered you 2 top quality mowers that are both in your price range. let me guess your going to buy the redhawk?

MOHUSTLER
02-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Im sure il get some flame for this, but a couple great mowers that I DONT sell. jsut so no one thinks im biast. Is snapper pro. They seem to have a niec bang for the buck. Or I have read great things about Bobcat.

EcoGreen Services
02-26-2010, 04:05 PM
O, forgot to add. Let's say someone says, look at a toro t-bar. Ya, great starter machines, but the deck is garbage. You would be cursing that SFS deck all season long if you got a wet summer.

Are you talking about the old deck design or the new turbo force deck ?
The old ones used to clog and clump a lot in the wet but I haven't had any problems with the new deck once you get the baffle adjusted.

One WB that seems well priced is the Better Outdoor Products Single Hydro Quick's.

I can't comment on how they cut, but they seem like a good deal on a domestically made mower. The same price or cheaper than some of the chinese ones.

mike174
02-26-2010, 11:36 PM
my mowers the best:cool2:

My dad's mower can kick your dad's mower's a$$ :laugh:

mike174
02-27-2010, 12:28 AM
For those about to bash me....I was joking. :laugh: I haven't used Dad's mower since I was 15 (21 yrs ago).

LawnCareNoobie
02-27-2010, 08:16 PM
bobcat, exmark, scag, toro. The bob-cat is one of the oldest style w.b on the market. There simple yet commercial design works. The scag is just overpriced and the decks crack.

True, I've seen it myself.

So much for the fabricated deck being so much better than a stamped deck eh?