PDA

View Full Version : Does nylon trimmer line "get long in the tooth"??

davefr
06-10-2002, 07:26 PM
My old Toro gas string trimmer uses a very hard to find trimmer line with a diameter of around .130" and it comes in precut chunks that are about 12" long.

I'd estimate the trimmer and line at about 15-20 years old. Lately it seems like I thread in a new chunk of line yet after very minimal trimmer use it breaks off near the head and causes out of balance trimming.

Does this nylon line get brittle over time?? I hope not because it's 'pert near impossible to find since Toro must have used a very unique style head for this trimmer.

Are trimmer heads real fussy about the exact diameter line? I see replacement spools of .105 but don't know if this would fit too loose.

HOWARD JONES
06-11-2002, 11:12 AM
I believe the line does get brittle - I have even seen other references to soaking it in water to make it more flexible. Lots of people play around with various line sizes - you just need to experiment but your size of .130 is listed on some website suppliers. In my area, one of the best inventories of line is at Lowe's. They have up to .155 (used for DR type trimmers)