PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys mix your fuel?

Merkava_4
02-25-2010, 01:55 AM
A 50:1 ratio requires 2.6 onces per gallon if my math's
right, but a lot of times a gas can will hold a little more
fuel than what it says on the can ... so if you were to
fill up a 1 gallon gas can all the way, your mix ratio might
be slightly off. You guys use measuring cups then? :confused:

White Gardens
02-25-2010, 02:06 AM
Make your life easier and get a synthetic such as Opti-2 or Amsoil 2 stroke oil.

One mix for all ratios. Takes all the guesswork and multiple 2 cylce cans out of the equation, not to mention your equipment will last longer and you get way less smoke.

mike174
02-25-2010, 02:51 AM
A 50:1 ratio requires 2.6 onces per gallon if my math's
right, but a lot of times a gas can will hold a little more
fuel than what it says on the can ... so if you were to
fill up a 1 gallon gas can all the way, your mix ratio might
be slightly off. You guys use measuring cups then? :confused:

when filling have the gas attendant (in NJ) or yourself put 1 gallon into the can...it's right on the pump....easy to measure.

topsites
02-25-2010, 03:48 AM
Nope, I use a 2.5 gallon can.

Richard Martin
02-25-2010, 04:42 AM
You don't have to be that precise. As far as a measuring cup goes... Just get yourself a tip-n-pour container. They can be found everywhere and often don't cost anything. You can usually find them at The Home Depot, Lowes, Sears or Walmart in the mower section. Here's an example from Poulan.

http://www.ordertree.com/imagesLive/Users/Poulan/Oil/952-031138.jpg

Merkava_4
02-25-2010, 04:44 AM
I suppose I could just have the gas station person punch in
2.5 gallons on the keyboard and have the pump shut off
right at 2.5 gallons.... that is if the pump is accurate enough. :confused:

Richard Martin
02-25-2010, 04:45 AM
Oh yeah... You only need to buy the container once. Just keep refilling it from a larger container as needed.

Richard Martin
02-25-2010, 04:46 AM
that is if the pump is accurate enough,
I don't know. :confused:

I've been doing this forever. It's not that critical.

Merkava_4
02-25-2010, 04:55 AM
How many ounces of oil with 2.5 gallons? :confused:

Richard Martin
02-25-2010, 05:12 AM

6.4 to be precise.

Merkava_4
02-25-2010, 05:25 AM
6.4 to be precise.

THC
02-25-2010, 05:42 AM
Nope, I use a 2.5 gallon can.

Well I use a 10 litre can, when almost empty I pour a bottle of oil in and fill it up. However, my nephew, who is into cement, pours a cap of oil into his saws whenever he fills the saws gas tanks. I don't like that method at all but I have used it when I ran out of oil/fuel mix.

lawnkingforever
02-25-2010, 12:57 PM
I always do my 2 cycle mixes at the gas station, before I fill up my rig or mowers. Takes the guess work out of it. But like others have said, it does not need to be exact.

Valk
02-25-2010, 03:11 PM
For the best initial mixing, add fuel to the proper amount of 2-stroke oil that you already put in your gas can.
The reverse = adding the oil on top of the fuel can result in inadequate mixing.

Make your life easier and get a synthetic such as Opti-2...

Opti is not synthetic...though a common misconception around here.
*trucewhiteflag*

Paul's LC
02-26-2010, 01:50 AM

make sure your exactly at 2.500000 gallons though, otherwise your engines will blow up! :nono: jk man youll be just fine!

Sammy
02-26-2010, 07:52 AM
For the best initial mixing, add fuel to the proper amount of 2-stroke oil that you already put in your gas can.
The reverse = adding the oil on top of the fuel can result in inadequate mixing.

*trucewhiteflag*

The very best way --> Is too have some gas in the can, put your oil in
then finish filling to the proper amount of gas.

cgaengineer
02-26-2010, 08:01 AM
Its not critical, but if you want to measure different ratio's there is a measuring cup specifically for this called a Ratio Rite...look it up if interested.

I would say you have at least a 10% margin of error on the ratio as far as being lean, so in other words if you went over by a few ounces you will be fine.

White Gardens
02-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Seriously, you guys need to save yourself the headache.

http://www.opti2-4.com/html/opti-2.html

cgaengineer
02-26-2010, 11:23 AM
What trouble? You make either 1gal or 2.5 gal or any combo above.
Posted via Mobile Device

jkingrph
02-26-2010, 11:28 AM
"most" things requiring weight or volumetric measure allow for a certain percentage plus or minus margin of error. I know for certain that is present for medication doses as I deal with that daily. My guess is that manufacturers know how gas cans are made and generally the accuracy of pump measuring systems and allow for that when saying how much oil to a gallon. I would think a + or - error approaching 10% would be ok, and I would rather be on the + side with my equipment.

White Gardens
02-26-2010, 03:00 PM
What trouble? You make either 1gal or 2.5 gal or any combo above.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm just saying, with the opti or amsoil 2cycle oil, there is only one ratio for all your equipment.

You eliminate having multiple cans for all the different ratio equipment you have. When you have employees, it takes the guess work out of "how do I mix this correctly".

Richard Martin
02-26-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm just saying, with the opti or amsoil 2cycle oil, there is only one ratio for all your equipment.

You can actually do this with any synthetic 2 stroke oil (however Opti is not a synthetic oil). I have had 2 Stihl dealers tell me I can safely mix Stihl at 80:1 and they would still warrant their equipment. Both of the dealer's mechanics had the highest level of factory training, the Gold level or whatever it is.

cgaengineer
02-26-2010, 07:18 PM

You eliminate having multiple cans for all the different ratio equipment you have. When you have employees, it takes the guess work out of "how do I mix this correctly".

All my equipment is 50:1 anyway. I use the Stihl white bottle stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
02-26-2010, 07:59 PM
You don't have to be that precise. As far as a measuring cup goes... Just get yourself a tip-n-pour container. They can be found everywhere and often don't cost anything. You can usually find them at The Home Depot, Lowes, Sears or Walmart in the mower section. Here's an example from Poulan.

http://www.ordertree.com/imagesLive/Users/Poulan/Oil/952-031138.jpg

the can pictured looks just like the brand i get at lowes.

thats what i use 2.6 oz per 1 gallon of fuel. i take my 2.5 gallon gas can fill it up to 2 gallons and add the oil. no measuring the gas to make sure it's exactly 2 gallons. i don't think it needs to be that precise.

i do believe all my equipment is the 50:1 ration but even it's not i've always used just one mix for all my trimmers, blowers and snow blowers.

the mix i use happens to be one ratio for everything but its not gonna make that big of a difference.

Triplex
02-26-2010, 08:22 PM
We always used a little 2.6-oz. bottle of oil in a one-gallon gas can. Add the oil, then the gas, then shake well. Sometimes we'd use an old 2.6-oz. bottle to measure out a portion of 2-stroke oil from a larger container.

White Gardens
02-26-2010, 09:43 PM
You can actually do this with any synthetic 2 stroke oil (however Opti is not a synthetic oil). I have had 2 Stihl dealers tell me I can safely mix Stihl at 80:1 and they would still warrant their equipment. Both of the dealer's mechanics had the highest level of factory training, the Gold level or whatever it is.

It actually is a synthetic. There was a debate about that a while back in a 2-cycle thread. You have to do some searching around the Opti site but it's there.

I'm just a huge fan of any higher quality 2-stroke oil. Everytime I go to clean the exhaust ports in my equipment, they are clean as a whistle, no scoring on the pistons, and everything runs sooooo much cleaner exhaust wise.

Sammy
02-26-2010, 10:01 PM
You can actually do this with any synthetic 2 stroke oil (however Opti is not a synthetic oil). I have had 2 Stihl dealers tell me I can safely mix Stihl at 80:1 and they would still warrant their equipment. .........

One of my Stihl dealers told me the same thing. :)

climber338
02-26-2010, 10:47 PM
Im a tree guy but i do have a few lawns and i run my life on 2-stroke. I put it in my saws, trimmers, mowers, splitter and if it gets even Little old ill put it into my truck to top it off. What i do is i always put alittle more oil than needed so instead of 1:50 mix its more like 1:35-40 mix. the saws and trimmer will smoke alittle when i first start them up but once they are warmed up they dont smoke at all. Get yourself cup with ounces on the side and use that. 1 gallon gas then put 3 ounces of oil instead of 2.6. Your not going to hurt your trimmers or saws buy doing this at all. It will actually be better for them because there's more lubrication. If you buy those little 2.6 ounce bottles then get 2 and put alittle into the can every time you fill up the gas can. Another thing i should mention about 2-stroke oil is pick one and stick with is NEVER mix synthetic with the regular oil it will really mess up your equipment for some reason. Im not sure what happens but i know its really bad. Just put alittle more oil than needed into your gas and you will be just fine.

STIHL GUY
02-26-2010, 10:56 PM
it doesnt need to be exact...just pour your oil in and pump untill it says a gallon or 2.5 or whatever you need

S L C
02-26-2010, 11:10 PM
I shut the air bleeder, pick it up with my hand, and I shake it like CRAZY... lol :clapping::clapping::drinkup: That's how I mix it.... :laugh:

Darryl G
02-26-2010, 11:16 PM
I really can't believe that this is something that someone is struggling with...I want to say put the mowers away and finish high school, but I don't want to be mean. I use Opti-2 and buy it by the gallon but measure it in their little squeeze and poor dispenser. I have 2 of them and find it easier to pour it from one into the other instead of squeezing them. Then I just put the appropriate amount of gas in at the pump. The Rite Ratio cups someone mentioned are nice but I only use them for the motocross racing bikes.

And the pump is accurate...the State Weights and Measures or other applicable department makes sure of that.

yardguy28
02-27-2010, 01:00 AM
i'm surpised to read so many use what the pump at the station says. when i'm filling my gas cans i just go by what i see in the can.

guess i never really thought of looking at the pump to see how many gallon's i was pumping. i've just always looked at the can.

goes to show you, ya learn something every day

joel29m
02-27-2010, 02:00 AM
i have a buddy that came with me one day to help out and put straight gas in my trimmer???? and had it running for about 5 minutes strong!!! i mean had it idled up like he trying to cut a damn tree with it!! i cussed his ass out and put the mixed gas in it thinking i had to get it replaced, but till this day its rolling strong, had me worried.

joel29m
02-27-2010, 02:05 AM
i'm surpised to read so many use what the pump at the station says. when i'm filling my gas cans i just go by what i see in the can.

guess i never really thought of looking at the pump to see how many gallon's i was pumping. i've just always looked at the can.

goes to show you, ya learn something every day

im like you, i look at the can, i stop at the safe line on the can. i use a 2 gallon can and put 5.2 ounces in it, its all the same.

Richard Martin
02-27-2010, 05:51 AM
It actually is a synthetic. There was a debate about that a while back in a 2-cycle thread. You have to do some searching around the Opti site but it's there.

Can you provide a link to the actual page please? Otherwise, it's not a synthetic. I've looked all over their site multiple times and could find no statements that said they were a synthetic.

Richard Martin
02-27-2010, 06:11 AM
i have a buddy that came with me one day to help out and put straight gas in my trimmer???? and had it running for about 5 minutes strong!!! i mean had it idled up like he trying to cut a damn tree with it!! i cussed his ass out and put the mixed gas in it thinking i had to get it replaced, but till this day its rolling strong, had me worried.

If it was a Stihl then there shouldn't have been a problem. Stihl uses a graphite impregnated bearing material that holds oil. They've tested some of their engines using straight gas and have run 5 tanks through the 4 mixes without damage. Ford used to use the same type of bearing on the mains and cam bearings. A lot of dealers had to run the old 5.0 engines for significant amounts of time even with no oil and the liquid glass in them before the engines would seize up.

Ford 5.0. keeping in mind they didn't say how long it had been run without oil and with liquid glass before they started shooting the video. It's safe to presume that they did quite a few burnouts and gave up trying to do it that way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmvkLrVXBIk

Pontiac Firebird (no graphite impregnated bearings)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xo8pCW6Kjo&feature=related

cgaengineer
02-27-2010, 06:16 AM
Well with a chrome cyl and needle bearings on top and bottom of rods the engine should fair well, it will have an effect on its life...that said if you think about the amount of oil a mixed fuel engines run, it aint much...its no wonder they last as long as they do in the first place.
Posted via Mobile Device

joel29m
02-27-2010, 07:26 AM
If it was a Stihl then there shouldn't have been a problem. Stihl uses a graphite impregnated bearing material that holds oil. They've tested some of their engines using straight gas and have run 5 tanks through the 4 mixes without damage. Ford used to use the same type of bearing on the mains and cam bearings. A lot of dealers had to run the old 5.0 engines for significant amounts of time even with no oil and the liquid glass in them before the engines would seize up.

Ford 5.0. keeping in mind they didn't say how long it had been run without oil and with liquid glass before they started shooting the video. It's safe to presume that they did quite a few burnouts and gave up trying to do it that way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmvkLrVXBIk.

Pontiac Firebird (no graphite impregnated bearings)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xo8pCW6Kjo&feature=related. It's an echo, don't know if it has the same parts as stihl but it's still rolling.
Posted via Mobile Device

Triplex
02-27-2010, 08:08 AM

I caught a co-worker using regular oil to make fuel mix once! When I pointed it out to him, it turned out he didn't know there was a special oil for making 2-stroke mix! I guess you can't ever assume people know how to do simple things!

He actually turned out to be a good employee; just an honest mistake by a guy who didn't know any better.

joel29m
02-27-2010, 08:43 AM
I caught a co-worker using regular oil to make fuel mix once! When I pointed it out to him, it turned out he didn't know there was a special oil for making 2-stroke mix! I guess you can't ever assume people know how to do simple things!

He actually turned out to be a good employee; just an honest mistake by a guy who didn't know any better.

Yeah, but that just tells you what they never did or use in their childhood years.
Posted via Mobile Device

Triplex
02-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Yeah, but that just tells you what they never did or use in their childhood years.
Posted via Mobile Device

The frightening thing is, the guy worked 2 seasons on another golf course before he came to us! I don't know how much mix he made there; hopefully someone else did most of it!

jkingrph
02-27-2010, 05:58 PM
I caught a co-worker using regular oil to make fuel mix once! When I pointed it out to him, it turned out he didn't know there was a special oil for making 2-stroke mix! I guess you can't ever assume people know how to do simple things!.

Years ago Dad bought a Lawn Boy push mower, 2 cycle. All we ever mixed in oil was regular engine oil. We started using that thing when I was in jr high and it was still going strong after I finished high school and 5 years of college. Dad never new about special 2 cycle oils.

yardguy28
02-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

your knocking a guy because he didn't make any mixed gas/oil in his childhood years.

a lot of commen sense stuff to us lawn maintenance guys isn't so commen sense to others.

it all depends on how you grew up and everyone grew up differently. not every childhood boy grew up around tractors, mowers and those sort of things.

joel29m
02-27-2010, 07:31 PM
your knocking a guy because he didn't make any mixed gas/oil in his childhood years.

a lot of commen sense stuff to us lawn maintenance guys isn't so commen sense to others.

it all depends on how you grew up and everyone grew up differently. not every childhood boy grew up around tractors, mowers and those sort of things.

All you did is explain the definition of what I said, I'm not talking bad about him, I told him that to his face and he laughed and cussed me out.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
02-28-2010, 04:42 PM
All you did is explain the definition of what I said, I'm not talking bad about him, I told him that to his face and he laughed and cussed me out.
Posted via Mobile Device

sure sounded like a knock to me. knocking him because he didn't know they make seperate oil for mixing gas with oil.

that statment about his childhood makes it seem like a bad thing.

Darryl G
02-28-2010, 04:58 PM
You are supposed to read the operators manual for equipment you run ya know!

joel29m
02-28-2010, 07:51 PM
sure sounded like a knock to me. knocking him because he didn't know they make seperate oil for mixing gas with oil.

that statment about his childhood makes it seem like a bad thing.

Well, if I offended you man I'm sorry, now let's get back to the thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cheffy
02-28-2010, 08:08 PM
i use the stihl quick 2 gallon small bottles because its convenient but i know it costs more

cgaengineer
02-28-2010, 08:10 PM
i use the stihl quick 2 gallon small bottles because its convenient but i know it costs more

Mine are 2.5 gallons, do they make 2 gallon ones?
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
02-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Well, if I offended you man I'm sorry, now let's get back to the thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

no hard feelings on my part. just thought it looked like you might have been knocking someone for not knowing there is seperate oil for mixing with gas.

maybe i missunderstood.........but like you said, back to the thread.

Runner
02-28-2010, 09:21 PM
This thread is a grin. We mix 8 oz. and pump 2 gallons into the cans. Been running this ratio for 26 years, and have equipment that has run for more than a decade and still runs great. A little rich? Perhaps so. We use 2.5 gallon cans, but that doesn't mean you have to fill them to 2.5 gallons. We just poor it out of the quart bottles and view the level out the side windows. Some are really over thinking this.