PDA

View Full Version : Social Security #

gumper48
02-25-2010, 07:28 AM
I have a mobile home park that I've been mowing for 15 years, the Park sold to two lawyers a year and a half ago. A couple of days ago get an email from one of them asking for my social security # to be used on a 1099 they need to issue me. I'm a little suspicious as I've never had to give it to any of the other owners . I have other commerciaal accounts and none of them have asked for my number.
I pay taxes on every penny I make, and carry $100,000. in liability ins..

Any reply appreciated

keith

AI Inc
02-25-2010, 07:31 AM
They will either need your SS# or your 04 # for tax purposes.

Turf Dawg
02-25-2010, 08:08 AM
All my commercial accounts have my social because lawn maintenance is a write off. I get 1099's every year from them.

CLARK LAWN
02-25-2010, 09:00 AM
if you have an EIN you can give them that

corey4671
02-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Like was said above, this is standard procedure. If you are a sole proprietor like me your EIN IS your SSN. Any other structure such as LLC you should have a seperate EIN for the business. I have two accounts that send me 1099's. I'm really surprised I don't get more than I do considering how many commercial accounts I have.

corey4671
02-25-2010, 09:05 AM
also someone out there correct me if I am wrong on this, but aren't 1099's supposed to be issued before Feb 1?

clydebusa
02-25-2010, 09:34 AM
They will either need your SS# or your 04 # for tax purposes.

Double Ditto, the lawyers are correct in needing the numbers.:hammerhead:

clydebusa
02-25-2010, 09:36 AM
should be done on or before January 31st. ,, but I have a few accts that are always a little late. No big deal for me, because I file taxes 1st of April.

Jason Rose
02-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Just know your income you really made from them last year, i assume you keep track of that... and make sure they don't try to 1099 you for more than that. some will be sneaky and try to add onto it or stuff more than one years worth on it if they failed to send you one in past years. Illegal on their part, but only if you catch it.

Frontier-Lawn
02-25-2010, 12:43 PM
when i did get 1099's from my comercial clients i used my EIN, no one gets my SSN!

topsites
02-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, 1099's are forms used to report income...

So I'd tell them politely that I can not, as a business owner, subject myself to the position of being one of their employees
as I take care of my own taxes and I don't need someone else reporting my income, although on second thought
maybe the reason they do it is to make sure they're not getting a tax evader working on their property...
That has to be what this nonsense is all about, why else would anyone ask for
information concerning a form to report income, and why they can't just say it?
Are they afraid someone might get offended, oh well, let them take offense, tough luck.

Even now it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, they can darn well report
this expense on the form that's made for that purpose and not the 1099
which is an income reporting form.

topsites
02-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Thou after having looked at the IRS explanation I may have to admit that
it's the tax department not making any sense :p

Why in the hell would they make a form this way?
If a contractor gets paid x amount of dollars from someone else, if anyone should
be filing the 1099 it would be the contractor, to report the payments as income, no?

Why would the person doing the paying be filing an income report, it's a friggin' expense from that end...

Yeah, go figure...

CLARK LAWN
02-25-2010, 01:58 PM
they have to file it to show were the money went. they are not making you an employee.

also you can get an EIN as a sole propieter i have one.

Frontier-Lawn
02-25-2010, 02:01 PM
its so they can account for all money out go so the owners have a less chance of a audit for unknow money spent on? and not like the owners are skimming money off the books tax free.

Jason Rose
02-25-2010, 02:09 PM
A 1099 is the form you receive from a business sends you so they can write the expense off of their taxes. They don't take taxes of any kind out of your income, that's what a 1099 is. If you were an employee you would receive a w-2 and have taxes withheld.
A 1099 has nothing to do with "them making sure you pay your taxes". Good lord... Some people seem like they just got into business yesterday.

I receive them from most all businesses I work for. It's just standard procedure. And not giving them you SS#?? well they have the SS# of all their employees, and I'm workin for them too, dosn't make much sence why you would fret over them having it.

Also, if you refuse to take a 1099 from a business, it's screwing them, because they lose the write off, and most likely will be losing you really shortly. Plus they are probably going to notify the IRS of you because they can then make the assumption that the reason you don't want a 1099 is that you DON'T pay your taxes.

corey4671
02-25-2010, 05:15 PM
A 1099 is the form you receive from a business sends you so they can write the expense off of their taxes. They don't take taxes of any kind out of your income, that's what a 1099 is. If you were an employee you would receive a w-2 and have taxes withheld.
A 1099 has nothing to do with "them making sure you pay your taxes". Good lord... Some people seem like they just got into business yesterday.

I receive them from most all businesses I work for. It's just standard procedure. And not giving them you SS#?? well they have the SS# of all their employees, and I'm workin for them too, dosn't make much sence why you would fret over them having it.

Also, if you refuse to take a 1099 from a business, it's screwing them, because they lose the write off, and most likely will be losing you really shortly. Plus they are probably going to notify the IRS of you because they can then make the assumption that the reason you don't want a 1099 is that you DON'T pay your taxes.

exactly...wow....it's usually the other way around though. I've seen employeers try to 1099 employees so that the employee is tuck with paying the full brunt of the tax on the income and the employeer doesn't have to pay squat as far as payroll taxes....

yardguy28
02-25-2010, 06:26 PM
as long as you pay taxes on the money they pay you, you don't need to fill out a 1099 form.

i worked for a commerical account that asked for my tax id number. i don't have one so then they wanted my social security number. when i found out why the wanted it, for the 1099 we discussed that i already tax the taxes out of the checks the wright they said they didn't need to bother with a 1099 form.

by the way this was the company accountant that told me all of this.

corey4671
02-25-2010, 07:53 PM
the 1099 is not for the CONTRACTOR!!! It's for the CUSTOMER. The 1099 is a form that is filed so that the customer can show THE DEDUCTION.

yardguy28
02-25-2010, 08:37 PM
the 1099 is not for the CONTRACTOR!!! It's for the CUSTOMER. The 1099 is a form that is filed so that the customer can show THE DEDUCTION.

i just remember the accountant wanting my tax id or soc number for the form and when she found out i take the taxes out when i do my taxes she said she didn't need to do a 1099 form then.

Landscraper1
02-25-2010, 10:28 PM
i just remember the accountant wanting my tax id or soc number for the form and when she found out i take the taxes out when i do my taxes she said she didn't need to do a 1099 form then.

does not make any sense to me.:confused:

corey4671
02-26-2010, 12:11 AM
does not make any sense to me.:confused:

glad I'm not the only one

topsites
02-26-2010, 04:17 AM
Before I say anything further it would probably be best to talk to your CPA about it.

That having been said...
There are a lot of things I could have opened into but I'll make it short.

Plus they are probably going to notify the IRS of you because they can then make the assumption that the reason you don't want a 1099 is that you DON'T pay your taxes.

Ahhhh yeah that's what I thought, now the truth comes out. :p
See...

I would probably have LESS of a problem giving a company my EIN / SSN if they told me that the
reason they file a 1099 is because they want to be certain their contractor(s) all pay their taxes.
I may not care for the can of worms that opens, but I can respect their decision.

It's this round-about way they got of going about it that just has that feel to it like when someone's
fixing to ride me, and that is what sets the hairs on the back of my neck on end.

Everything else, like that stuff about "standard procedure" is BS.
I don't care for being bullshitteted.

brucec32
02-26-2010, 10:53 PM
If this related to mowing I'd explain how to apply for an EIN and why 1099's are not quite what some responses here are claiming. But it doesn't, so I'll look for the question in the proper forum.

lilweeds
02-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Just an FYI. If a company is paying another company for services they are required by LAW to file a 1099 form with either your SS# or your EIN# if they paid you more then $600. The reason is so that they can take your service as a deduction on their taxes. If you are a CORP. they do not need to file one. It does also tell the IRS that you are being paid and if you don't show a schedule C or K1 they could audit you.

shane mapes
02-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Like was said above, this is standard procedure. If you are a sole proprietor like me your EIN IS your SSN. Any other structure such as LLC you should have a seperate EIN for the business. I have two accounts that send me 1099's. I'm really surprised I don't get more than I do considering how many commercial accounts I have.

what you said is not true in california.I don't know about where you are at. I'm a solepropietor & I have an ein #. I never use my ssn#.Check locally & see if you can use a ein#.Easy to get .

jasontimm
02-28-2010, 03:56 PM
what you said is not true in california.I don't know about where you are at. I'm a solepropietor & I have an ein #. I never use my ssn#.Check locally & see if you can use a ein#.Easy to get .

I'm also a Sole propietor, and have a fed tax i.d number, my tax guy gave me one, also all my commercial accounts 1099 me, but in MN its not a big deal, as i have to charge sales tax for mowing lawn, and weed control, so i really cant hide anything even if i wanted to. No big deal, get a tax I.D and give it to them...who cares.