PDA

View Full Version : 'Fluid-Film' gun??

mysteryman
02-25-2010, 11:59 AM
I have read all sorts of uses for Fluid-Film on this site. Has anybody ever evaluated the possibility of 'bulk-filling' a grease gun with Fluid-Film? I am not suggesting that it would be effective in all cases such as very high speed/high heat situarions, but, for instance, the greasable front casters on a mower, maybe the auger gearbox on a snowblower (which is notorious for grease caking up and not doing its job), and maybe for those high speed/high heat applications as well (what is the top temperature range of Fluid-Film)...any thoughts?

DLAWNS
02-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Dano would probably be the best person for this question.....not sure how that would work.

Dano50
02-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Oh yeah, sorry, I meant to answer this earlier. We do make a high quality grease, but it will not be cost effective for these type of applications. It is a high pressure grease made for wire rope applications, bought mostly by the government.

mysteryman
02-25-2010, 04:29 PM
I saw that cable grease you're referring-to. But, what about using the Fluid Film? It is a lubricant and it would perform better in penetrating and lubricating as opposed to stiff greases. Being thixotropic it would 're-melt' with friction and general movement. What are some downsides that you can see right off the top? Thank you.

Dano50
02-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Actually, I would think that our regular Fluid Film in bulk would work quite well for those applications. You wouldn't need a grease gun. It will hold up until about 300F, when it will start to run. Even then, it will leave a thin film on the surface.

mysteryman
02-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Actually, I would think that our regular Fluid Film in bulk would work quite well for those applications. You wouldn't need a grease gun. It will hold up until about 300F, when it will start to run. Even then, it will leave a thin film on the surface.

I mention the grease gun application to inject into zerk fittings.

SKYNYRD
02-25-2010, 09:32 PM
you gotta keep in mind that fluid film gets thicker the longer it sits, plus the bulk form needs to be stirred. i'm not sure it would stay reliable enough in a grease gun but... there's only one way to find out for sure:drinkup: