PDA

View Full Version : mower choices

blakerugg
02-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Ok so as of right now i have it narrowed down to the 48 scag hydro wb with the fixed velocity deck and the 17 kai, and the exmark viking 48 advantage 16 kawi with the ecs.

i found that my scag dealer (RI Grinding for the guys around here) is very nice and helpful and seems to be the model dealer ive been looking for.

on the other hand i know the owner of the exmark dealer very well and the pricing would probably be very competitive.

basically, im liking the scag a little more BUTTTT the exmark has the ECS.

IS the ECS worth buying the exmark over the scag? the scag has the flagship velocity deck wheras the exmark has the trivantage. thoughts?

JimQ
02-25-2010, 01:10 PM
I've used them both.

In my opinion, it comes down to what you're going to use it most for.

I prefer the Scag for hills and rough ground. It's heavier in the front. This keeps the front caster tires on the ground and gives a more even cut. It's also easier to horse the Scag around with the pistols.

If you're going to riding around behind it on a sulky doing mostly flat yards, I like the ECS. Being lighter in the front, it's also easier to lift the front end to climb curbs.

They're both good choices.

Q

blakerugg
02-25-2010, 02:16 PM
thanks for the tip. how would you compare the quality of cut?

JimQ
02-25-2010, 03:16 PM
thanks for the tip. how would you compare the quality of cut?

In rough ground, the Scag. I've found the front of the eXmark bounces up and creates an uneven cut. I see that they offer a weight kit for the front of the Viking. That might help. I've never tried it.

They're both decent decks but my personal preference is the Velocity Plus. It's one of my favorite decks on Z's too. It seems to perform well regardless of conditions and grass types and can process a large amount of grass. It also has the adjustable front flow control baffle. The Velocity plus spindles are a little beefier than the TriVantage too.

Q

South Florida Lawns
02-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Ok so as of right now i have it narrowed down to the 48 scag hydro wb with the fixed velocity deck and the 17 kai, and the exmark viking 48 advantage 16 kawi with the ecs.

i found that my scag dealer (RI Grinding for the guys around here) is very nice and helpful and seems to be the model dealer ive been looking for.

on the other hand i know the owner of the exmark dealer very well and the pricing would probably be very competitive.

basically, im liking the scag a little more BUTTTT the exmark has the ECS.

IS the ECS worth buying the exmark over the scag? the scag has the flagship velocity deck wheras the exmark has the trivantage. thoughts?

Assuming your going to be using this mower and not your employee's get the one thats most comfortable.

I would go with at least 19hp, I got the 17hp kawi on my 32" and half the time thats not even enough.

blakerugg
02-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Assuming your going to be using this mower and not your employee's get the one thats most comfortable.

I would go with at least 19hp, I got the 17hp kawi on my 32" and half the time thats not even enough.

good to know. i might try and get the guy to come down a lil more on the scag since it is an 09