PDA

View Full Version : trailer painting??

meets1
02-25-2010, 05:09 PM
I had a custom built 5th wheel trailer made last summer and it never was painted as i opted to do it ourselves -- well summer came, fall came and still no paint. Now winter is about gone I need to get this done.

What are my options. Case's of spray paint? Borrow/rent a spray can like the boby shops use? Rhino line the trailer with kits from auto parts store?

Planning on taking all the boards off, sand blasting or at least sand trailer. Very little rust but I assume this should still be done.

Then what about paint? Primer, 1 coat or 2 coats??

punt66
02-25-2010, 05:21 PM
u have a compressor?

meets1
02-25-2010, 05:22 PM
I have anything and about everything at my shop.

iowa
02-25-2010, 05:24 PM
Jeff, you can easily do it with a spray can with your compressor. We have done it that way on a few of my trailers. I would recommend trying to find someone else's shop or doing it outside, the overspray will get on anything and everything.

punt66
02-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Jeff, you can easily do it with a spray can with your compressor. We have done it that way on a few of my trailers. I would recommend trying to find someone else's shop or doing it outside, the overspray will get on anything and everything.

spray can? Go to tractor supply and they have equipment paint and buy a gravity feed gun. Run your air down to about 40lbs. As long as you dont have flakey rust you should be fine. You can also brush the paint on.

iowa
02-25-2010, 05:45 PM
That is what I was referring to.

spray can? Go to tractor supply and they have equipment paint and buy a gravity feed gun. Run your air down to about 40lbs. As long as you dont have flakey rust you should be fine. You can also brush the paint on.

meets1
02-25-2010, 05:54 PM
So what ya saying - get rid of rust - do or don't sand blast? Sand out rust or just wire brush it with grinder, prime and paint?? Will do in the shop - we've built a decent paint booth for such projects - alot of plastic on walls, draped over a few cables we place from end to end and seal off and paint. Floor heat so no forced air or dust.