PDA

View Full Version : Root balls exposed over winter

modedicebox
02-25-2010, 06:56 PM
I have an account where a bunch of construction has been going on all winter. The contractors removed 80% of the plants and piled them up. Question is can any of these plants be salvaged even though they have been sitting out in the elements exposed?
Thanks

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
02-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Are we talking plants, scurbs, trees? How big it the root ball??? We need more info.

modedicebox
02-25-2010, 07:06 PM
My fault...We have small trees, shrubs, knock down roses, ornamental grasses

IN2MOWN
02-25-2010, 07:14 PM
You can try it but I wouldnt waste the time. Bet get ahold of the contractors for payment on those plants.

modedicebox
02-25-2010, 07:25 PM
You can try it but I wouldnt waste the time. Bet get ahold of the contractors for payment on those plants.

That's what I was thinking. I am meeting with the General Contractor tomorrow to go over the specifics of the job. I am going to be doing the landscape re-construction and wanted to pick you lawn site gurus brains. Thanks

VO Landscape Design
02-25-2010, 08:09 PM
In the winter the roots need to be protected from freezing. Some might survive but i wouldn't put money on it.
VO

starry night
02-25-2010, 08:56 PM
I certainly would not give a guarantee of their viability. The responsibility for the guarantee should lie with the general contractor. If he is not willing to go along with that, I wouldn't be doing the job.

PerfectEarth
02-26-2010, 12:04 AM
The general contractor should have had some sort of plan in place for the removal and heal-in of the plants that were to be taken out. Where do you go from here? I say try and re-use the material. It won't hurt to try and re-plant material that is still green (scratch the bark with your nail).... if it ends up surviving, great. If not, replace> Discuss who is responsible when you meet with the GC.

If the root balls are big enough and undisturbed, who knows....winter dormancy and moisture might have held them over.

modedicebox
02-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to try to save the large shrubs but replace the boxwoods, grasses, and roses with new. I will keep you all posted.