View Full Version : Root balls exposed over winter

02-25-2010, 06:56 PM
I have an account where a bunch of construction has been going on all winter. The contractors removed 80% of the plants and piled them up. Question is can any of these plants be salvaged even though they have been sitting out in the elements exposed?

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
02-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Are we talking plants, scurbs, trees? How big it the root ball??? We need more info.

02-25-2010, 07:06 PM
My fault...We have small trees, shrubs, knock down roses, ornamental grasses

02-25-2010, 07:14 PM
You can try it but I wouldnt waste the time. Bet get ahold of the contractors for payment on those plants.

02-25-2010, 07:25 PM
You can try it but I wouldnt waste the time. Bet get ahold of the contractors for payment on those plants.

That's what I was thinking. I am meeting with the General Contractor tomorrow to go over the specifics of the job. I am going to be doing the landscape re-construction and wanted to pick you lawn site gurus brains. Thanks

VO Landscape Design
02-25-2010, 08:09 PM
In the winter the roots need to be protected from freezing. Some might survive but i wouldn't put money on it.

starry night
02-25-2010, 08:56 PM
I certainly would not give a guarantee of their viability. The responsibility for the guarantee should lie with the general contractor. If he is not willing to go along with that, I wouldn't be doing the job.

02-26-2010, 12:04 AM
The general contractor should have had some sort of plan in place for the removal and heal-in of the plants that were to be taken out. Where do you go from here? I say try and re-use the material. It won't hurt to try and re-plant material that is still green (scratch the bark with your nail).... if it ends up surviving, great. If not, replace> Discuss who is responsible when you meet with the GC.

If the root balls are big enough and undisturbed, who knows....winter dormancy and moisture might have held them over.

02-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to try to save the large shrubs but replace the boxwoods, grasses, and roses with new. I will keep you all posted.