PDA

View Full Version : Mowless Fescue ?'s

ayreshead79
02-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Has anyone heard of or used the blend of fescue called "Mow-less fescue"? it is a blend of Olympic Gold tall fescue (33.33%), Matador Tall Fescue (33.26%) and Innovator Tall Fescue (32.75%). When i bought it the guys told me it is a fescue that grows slower and it does not need the water that normal fescue needs.

if anyone has used it and has good or bad things about it, let me know

thanks
chris
:usflag:

BIOGRASS
02-26-2010, 12:00 AM
I had someone ask me a similar question concerning the mowless. Those varieties in the blend did not rate to well on NTEP from the little bit of research that I saw. Personally I think it is another one of these seed companies pushing the TF agenda as a solve all and it just isn't the truth. IMO KBG is where it is at. If you are going to use a Fesq go with a Hard Fesq or Fine Fesq.

To answer your question I am sure the blend takes less water and also doesn't need to be mowed as mush as the commodity blues out on the market. I hope that helps. :)

ayreshead79
02-26-2010, 12:50 AM
i also heard that the mowless blend is what they use around tee boxes on the golf courses.... but here is a link

http://www.fescue.com/info/turfseed/mowless.html

RigglePLC
02-26-2010, 10:37 AM
I am a little skeptical. Slow growing varieties recover more slowly from drought, disease and insect injury. Note that the website says--"first mowing expected about 30 days after seeding." And note that they say varieties will be substituted depending on availablility. And they don't say "How Slow Growing". Do they mean 20 percent less? 10 percent? And they don't mention the term "dwarf" which is sometimes applied to slow growing bluegrasses. Please plant some and let us know how you like it. Is this for a new customer's lawn? Golf course? Grounds? If you get paid to mow it--why would you want it to grow slow? But which is more important in New Mexico? Disease resistance? Drought resistance? Dark color? At the NTEP trials Mustang was one of the best, but 3rd Millenium and Rhambler were slightly better in Texas.

ayreshead79
02-26-2010, 11:16 AM
the lawn is my personal lawn. i have had some ups and downs with it. the downs are when i planted it back in Oct 09, we had a huge rain come thru and washed away about 50% of my seed. but on the upside my neighbors are jealous because their yards (fescue-sod) turned brown due to the cold but my yard has been green all thru the winter. will add pics later.