PDA

View Full Version : Tips on using the exmark ECS controls

cpt87gn
02-26-2010, 12:42 AM
Hi well i finally bought my walkbehind 36" exmark metro with ecs handles . but its kind of hard to control. Im use to using the toro 36" with the t bar controls. Which was much easier .Can you give me some pointers

ToroLandscaper
02-26-2010, 03:34 AM
The ECS controls can be very sensitive and take a minute to get used to, but when you get used to them they are fantastic.

Only pointers I have is just realize that they are normally pretty sensitive or touchy...

cgaengineer
02-26-2010, 06:45 AM
Hi well i finally bought my walkbehind 36" exmark metro with ecs handles . but its kind of hard to control. Im use to using the toro 36" with the t bar controls. Which was much easier .Can you give me some pointers

That's why I got a Toro T2, I hated the ECS controls...they seemed backwards to me.

markahurley
02-26-2010, 07:49 AM
learn in a big open area. i'd say that's a huge one. :) i've trained guys in parking lots, and even still it's amazing how they still manage to end up hitting things. :)

take your time, select a low gear speed to begin with. when you let out the ECS controls, do it gradually. when you bring them back in, practice finding the sweet spot where it's in neutral. if you're used to running other walk behinds, your tendency is going to be to want to grab the handles too tightly when it feels like it's out of control. but when you grab them too tightly, it will kick it into reverse and then you'll really get confused. and the mower is going to jump around like crazy too. :)

just take your time, try to keep your movements smooth and controlled, and practice finding that "sweet spot" of neutral between forward and reverse.

cpt87gn
02-26-2010, 08:24 AM
Im sure i can learn but the problem is that my dad is the one who suppose to use the WB and I do the trimming and blowing ect. But we only used push mowers before.Its going to be intresting.He's never even driven a car before lol...

markahurley
02-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Im sure i can learn but the problem is that my dad is the one who suppose to use the WB and I do the trimming and blowing ect. But we only used push mowers before.Its going to be intresting.He's never even driven a car before lol...

get out the video camera. that first experience will be one worth remembering.

DT Lawn Care
02-26-2010, 10:04 AM
The controls are the same as most belt drives, except the the grips are inverted. Now I realize you have a T-Bar, I have one too, it really is different. Once you get used to the ECS I'm sure you will like them. Good Luck

I MOW ALONE
02-26-2010, 11:34 AM
you say you have a 36" t bar but only use push mowers in past. so you have a 36 t bar but never used it?

green_with_envy
02-26-2010, 12:13 PM
I love their controls. I had a Hustler t-bar a Husqvarna and a Bob Cat. I went to the ECS without any problem

cpt87gn
02-26-2010, 12:16 PM
No I helped someone from my chruch that does lawncare and i used the toro for a couple of months .but my dad never used a wb before

STL Cuts
02-26-2010, 12:36 PM

I had the same transition a couple years ago from the T-bar to ECS. You'll get the hang of it, just keep practicing with it on open areas.

This actually brought a story to mind. A couple years ago when I was just getting started mowing with walk behinds I was mowing with a 36" Metro with the ECS and I was mowing in a narrow spot between a tree and a retaining wall. A bee came out of nowhere and was on my neck about to sting me (I'm allergic too!) so naturally I took my right hand off the ECS to swat it away and the mower obviously swerved to the left and I happened to turn the blades off in time, but my leg had a little "meeting" with the retaining wall.
Luckily, I was in a back yard and nobody saw me, the mower was fine, the retaining wall wasn't damaged at all, and I just walked away with a nice cut on my leg.

DT Lawn Care
02-26-2010, 06:43 PM
I had the same transition a couple years ago from the T-bar to ECS. You'll get the hang of it, just keep practicing with it on open areas.

This actually brought a story to mind. A couple years ago when I was just getting started mowing with walk behinds I was mowing with a 36" Metro with the ECS and I was mowing in a narrow spot between a tree and a retaining wall. A bee came out of nowhere and was on my neck about to sting me (I'm allergic too!) so naturally I took my right hand off the ECS to swat it away and the mower obviously swerved to the left and I happened to turn the blades off in time, but my leg had a little "meeting" with the retaining wall.
Luckily, I was in a back yard and nobody saw me, the mower was fine, the retaining wall wasn't damaged at all, and I just walked away with a nice cut on my leg.

Man that's not fun especially with bees. I have a customer that used to have a bunch of old windows that sat upright next to his shed. One day I was running my Metro with the standard pistol grips next to the windows, and the connecting rod to the brake on the right side fell off. I naturally braked like nothing was the matter and it pulled me straight left and my left front caster punched through the glass in all the windows (4 deep). Fortunately they were all old so he didn't care but say you were mowing next to a brand new Mercedes and had that happen. Best to always be prepared and make sure that your brakes work at all times.

cpt87gn
02-26-2010, 10:15 PM
The day i picked it up. I got it close to the trailer and let the grips go thinking it would stop like the toro. I was a little embarassed.

FastMan
02-27-2010, 12:13 AM
I made the same transition a few years ago. I loved the T-Bar and hated the ECS. Just forget one hand operation, it ain't happening anymore. And lifting the deck while mowing is just not as easy. But after while you'll get used to it. Find that neutral spot between forward and back and you'll be spinning the thing like a hydro. I'm perfectly comfy on it now, but am coveting the split T.

JayD
02-27-2010, 02:59 AM
get out the video camera. that first experience will be one worth remembering.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: LOL. I wished that I would have thought of doing that when I got my first one.....Man I laugh at myself now just thinking about it.

My problem was once in a while for some reason I would let go of one side and it would go into a spin, but for some reason instead of just letting go of it so it would die, I would chase it around in circles until I caught up with it with both hands.....

Oh trust me....its worth paying to see.....LOL

lawnscraper
02-27-2010, 09:56 AM
i love the ecs and wont buy another wb without them.

The-Other-Side
02-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Only tip I can give is start off slow with it. If you do have to let go with one hand make sure to let go of the other one as well. I think everyone that owns a wb with ecs controls has made a fool of themselves a least once. Its not a matter of is it going to happen, just a matter of when. Hopefully it will be hidden away in a back yard or something.

JayD
02-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Only tip I can give is start off slow with it. If you do have to let go with one hand make sure to let go of the other one as well. I think everyone that owns a wb with ecs controls has made a fool of themselves a least once. Its not a matter of is it going to happen, just a matter of when. Hopefully it will be hidden away in a back yard or something.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:How True!

Bob_n_weave
02-27-2010, 12:35 PM
That's why I got a Toro T2, I hated the ECS controls...they seemed backwards to me.

Same here.

frotis
07-01-2011, 01:57 PM
I made the same transition a few years ago. I loved the T-Bar and hated the ECS. Just forget one hand operation, it ain't happening anymore. And lifting the deck while mowing is just not as easy. But after while you'll get used to it. Find that neutral spot between forward and back and you'll be spinning the thing like a hydro. I'm perfectly comfy on it now, but am coveting the split T.

The belt drive metro doesn't have reverse from the controls.

Chevy z71
07-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Pistol grips rule.