PDA

View Full Version : Time to dust off those paver catalogs!

DVS Hardscaper
02-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Whew-we it's been a long winter! We started a job in the beginning of December and should have been finished by Christmas. Here, we're coming up on March 1 and we have about 5 more days remaining for this job!

I'm tired of the cold weather and I'm tired of looking at snow. The other night it was 42-degrees outside, and I'm outside with no jacket on, not a bit cold after building a wall and backfilling in 20-degree temps. No exageration, we had a day when we were working in 20-degree temps! The soil was freezing to the bed of the tri-axle dump truck and had to be shoveled out, and the truck's brake line froze up!

I've had to post pone a few hardscape estimates.

It was kinda funny, I went on a patio estimate yesterday. Grabbed a paver catalog out of the box and it had a thin layer of dust on it! I don't recall the catalogs ever accumilating dust!

Before heading out to do the estimate I had to pause and collect myself and make sure I had everything I needed because it's been so long!

The phone is slowly starting to ring again for work and I bet after this Monday's 50-degree temps - it'll ring even more.

PlatinumLandCon
02-26-2010, 05:43 PM
It was kinda funny, I went on a patio estimate yesterday. Grabbed a paver catalog out of the box and it had a thin layer of dust on it! I don't recall the catalogs ever accumilating dust!

Maybe you should just clean your office. WTF is the point of this thread?:hammerhead:

crab
02-26-2010, 11:16 PM
its award winning!

mrusk
02-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Did your snow melt yet andrew? We got about 3' of snow this past week up here in north jersey. I am trying to calculate how long it will take to melt. Next two weeks are suppose to be low 40s. I am anxious to get back to work!

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
02-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Pavers? What are those? I haven't touched a paver in a year. All last year was just waterfalls. I need to get some paver jobs this year to break up the insanity and keep me on my toes.

I sold a waterfall job wednsday. Thank God! I was going nuts. Not exactly a healing but a band aid. lol!

Rocha_Construction
02-27-2010, 09:45 PM
LOL, I agree with the long winter.

Although, I always tend to ask for new catalogs each year to show the customers. Just in case they changed anything on their shelves.

You know that if a supplier stops building a type of material, that material will be the one the owners chooses!! LOL

We are that lucky....

tthomass
02-27-2010, 09:58 PM
My job is still covered with snow. My project at my own house hasn't been touched since mid December. I've got a big drainage job to do, what a mess now. Couple places to measure and sell but I'm in no hurry to get back to work in the mud. Cold I don't mind as much but mud just puts me in a bad mood about it all. Maybe thats because I just put $7,000 of 21A etc on my driveway (1/4 mile) because of all the damn moisture causing it to fail. Soon at the ground firms up I'm having tar and chip put down, I'm done with it!

DVS Hardscaper
02-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Tomorrow we're going to go shovel the snow off of our job with the intents to hopefully resume backfilling on Tuesday.

We need to keep produuction moving. All these home owners with major cabin fever this year - yeah, the flood gates are about to burst open........

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
02-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Tomorrow we're going to go shovel the snow off of our job with the intents to hopefully resume backfilling on Tuesday.

We need to keep produuction moving. All these home owners with major cabin fever this year - yeah, the flood gates are about to burst open........

Literally!