PDA

View Full Version : Finn Bark Blower

mcw615
02-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Was at a Vista Lighting training event in a city about an hour or so away from me yesterday. Two supervisors that work for a company in that city were talking about their finn blowers, I asked them how they liked them and how did they work on small residentials without getting mulch all over the place trying to get mulch in small areas.

They said they love them, they have 5 of them, and selling 2 with 1000 hours to be replaced, and they have about 10, maybe 15 employees max.

Anyone else have experience with them? I maybe down the road will purchase one, just too many other year round equipment priorities right now trying to gain credit for and only doing about 100 yards a year right now just me.

A mulch supplier local has two he rents out, they are the small pull behind ones with like a 1.5-2.0 yard holding capacity, pick up at 8 returned by 5 and it is $400 for a full day and $275 for a half day. Kind of steep in my opinion but I would love to try one out, I have one new POA condo account contract that signed for 3 years with 30 yards of mulch each spring, that is going to be a lot of wheelbarrow hauling so I am considering it, but I would have to have a dump truck and keep reloading the hopper of the blower so I am just trying to debate here...

Landscraper1
02-26-2010, 10:49 AM
I have a Finn BB-302, which is the one your probably talking about. It's awesome. Purchased it used last winter with 700hrs on it. Don't know why I waited so long to get one. But, if you only put down 100 yds a year, it might not be worth it for you to spend that money. Even the Finn salesman told me that, it's worth buying if you put down about a 1000 yds or more. Currently we put down over 2000yds a year.

mcw615
02-26-2010, 10:55 AM
I have a Finn BB-302, which is the one your probably talking about. It's awesome. Purchased it used last winter with 700hrs on it. Don't know why I waited so long to get one. But, if you only put down 100 yds a year, it might not be worth it for you to spend that money. Even the Finn salesman told me that, it's worth buying if you put down about a 1000 yds or more. Currently we put down over 2000yds a year.

That is what I was estimating a minimum of 1000 yards.

How often do you have to fill up the hopper when blowing at an average rate? and how do you fill it up? I saw a youtube video of on a medium job they would unhook the blower, and pull the stake truck next to the hopper and there were two guys, one would work the "nozzle" and one would drag hose, then they would both go pitch mulch in it when it ran out.

Again, I am considering renting it for a day to knock out the couple larger jobs where there would be a lot of wheelbarrow hauling and 20-30 yards, but I only have an f250 and just trying to figure out how to load more mulch into the hopper quickly, driving back to supply to keep filling up 1.5 yards would defeat the purpose....

Landscraper1
02-26-2010, 11:07 AM
That is what I was estimating a minimum of 1000 yards.

How often do you have to fill up the hopper when blowing at an average rate? and how do you fill it up? I saw a youtube video of on a medium job they would unhook the blower, and pull the stake truck next to the hopper and there were two guys, one would work the "nozzle" and one would drag hose, then they would both go pitch mulch in it when it ran out.

Again, I am considering renting it for a day to knock out the couple larger jobs where there would be a lot of wheelbarrow hauling and 20-30 yards, but I only have an f250 and just trying to figure out how to load more mulch into the hopper quickly, driving back to supply to keep filling up 1.5 yards would defeat the purpose....

I uaually have a 3 man crew doing the mulching. One in the truck filling, Another shooting, and the third helps with the hose and passes a blower at areas already mulched. You can get away with just 2 men, just take longer.
I would fill your truck and the Finn with mulch. At the job, get rid of all the mulch except for that 1.5 yd. Make sure the finn is full to the top and leave the men there finishing off the rest while you go get more mulch with the truck.