PDA

View Full Version : Walker 42" Mulching Deck Does It Work Well? Any opinions?

tglasslawncare
02-26-2010, 10:52 AM
I am a MDD owner and was considering looking for a used 42" mulching deck new style. I know nothing about them. My experience with mulching is clumping and clogging but I never tried it on a mower like this. Does the deck actually work. I hate to spend all the money and have it not work for me. Any help from those who have used them would be a appreciated. Do they mulch even in the heavy thick growing season? Thanks in advance.

dishboy
02-26-2010, 11:52 AM
I am a MDD owner and was considering looking for a used 42" mulching deck new style. I know nothing about them. My experience with mulching is clumping and clogging but I never tried it on a mower like this. Does the deck actually work. I hate to spend all the money and have it not work for me. Any help from those who have used them would be a appreciated. Do they mulch even in the heavy thick growing season? Thanks in advance.

Everybody knows you can't successfully mulch northern grasses. :rolleyes:

Mowingman
02-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Contct your Walker dealer and have them get the Walker rep./ to bring out a demo to you when there is grass to mow. Don't just take other's word that it does not work. Thousands of those decks are out in the field mulching northern grasses just fine.
I owned a Walker with that deck, for 6 years. Worked fine for me in Fescue and winter Rye, so I can not imagine why anyone would say it does not work in northern grasses.

tglasslawncare
02-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Exactly. I am looking for responses from walker owners who run the mulching deck and what they experienced. Thank you mowing man for your personal experience using the deck. Last year I spoke to a walker dealer and he told me some impressive information about the deck. Thought it might be a sales pitch though. I must not be an everybody after mowing for 22 years. I am ok with that. Thanks again Mowing Man.

theyatesies
02-26-2010, 08:35 PM
I have that new style 42" deck you are asking about. I think it works just fine. I am selling mine not because I dont like it but because it is easier for me to just keep one deck on instead of changing it out. So I use the 48" GHS deck all the time. That mulching deck cost me $1675 and it has less than 20 hrs on it. I would take $900 for it.

gene gls
02-26-2010, 09:58 PM
I demoed a 42" mulching deck 2 years ago on one of my thickest lawns. Not good in my sitution. The rep told me the grass needs to be cut often so you are only cutting off about 1/2" of grass at a mowing. On thinner lawns or slow growing lawns I could see it working.

LawnPro19
02-26-2010, 10:43 PM
theyatesies if your serious about selling the mulch deck im very interested would even pay the shipping thats not a problem...please PM and let me know thank you!

theyatesies
02-27-2010, 01:07 PM
LawnPro19--- I sent you a PM

dave k
02-28-2010, 06:00 PM
I have a 42" old style deck and it cuts better when you use the gator type blades on it, I am selling it since i use my SD now, 200.00 and it your's. I live in the Atlanta area

MJB
02-28-2010, 07:08 PM

I don't know how deep the new mulching deck is I would hope 5". The old deck was too shallow and you had to run over some lawns several times just to spread it out evenly. But it mulches better in reverse than going forward.

Hopefully the new deck is much better than the older one.

MapleGuy
02-28-2010, 07:46 PM
The best thing about the Walker is the grass catching system.... if you're looking to mulch use another mower and take advantage of the fact that you have the mower with the best grass catching system in the industry and use it. As a Walker owner I think it would be a disgrace to be mulching with a Walker.

tglasslawncare
02-28-2010, 09:10 PM
I understand your point of bagging maple guy but why do the sell so many variations of deck choices? I thought owning a Walker meant versatility and mulching being something the walker can do better than the comp. Just my opinion and what I have heard. Why do they sell a mulching deck for almost $2000 is what I am wondering?