PDA

View Full Version : Guys who bag grass

Mowerboy04
02-26-2010, 12:13 PM
For those of you who bag grass weekly i was wondering how you handle your grass clippings. I either thinking building up the sides on my trailer and dumping onto a tarp and then draging it out. Or dumping into my pickup bed and put some sort of a load handler in it. Any and all ideas are appreciated.
thanks
alex

millenium_123
02-26-2010, 12:27 PM
I bag nearly every yard I mow and I put the grass straight in the dumpster. If that is not possible where you live, a good idea might be buying several of those big trash cans on wheels and hauling those around. I use those when a dumpster isn't available. I can't imagine the mess of just dumping it on the trailer or in the back of the truck!

mowerbrad
02-26-2010, 02:43 PM
I put sides on my trailer (just wooden ones) and dump the clippings on a tarp. If it's a light load of grass then I can just drag the tarp off and dump the grass, pretty quick. But if you have a lot of grass, then get the pitch fork out until it is light enough to just drag the tarp off.

Vogel-Landscaping
02-26-2010, 03:31 PM
I put the clippings in the back of my truck. Dump them at a dump at the end of the day. Around here bagging and leaving grass isnt what people want. Also if you dump it on your trailer and dont tarp it chances are youll get pulled over for not securing your load. But we buy dump trucks because everyone around here wants their grass bagged and hauled away.

Hawg City Lawns
02-26-2010, 03:44 PM
here our trash service is waste management they sell these green bags that you can put leaves or grass in because they will not pick up a normal black trash bag with that type of stuff in them most people buy their own and when they are scheduled for service that day they will just leave them out by the door step and when im done ill sit them out by their garage or take them down by the street depending on when they get their trash picked up sometimes people forget to do that so i always have a roll in the truck if that happens ill just charge them a $1 a bag most yards i only bag the front yards (because "thats the only part of the yard everyone sees" and not too many people want to pay for bagging the whole yard) so saying that i will get 2 bags a mowing in the spring and and 1 bag in the dog days of summer off the front yards this is very convenient and no mess or a dumping fee at the dump

Mowerboy04
02-26-2010, 04:00 PM
I put the clippings in the back of my truck. Dump them at a dump at the end of the day. Around here bagging and leaving grass isnt what people want. Also if you dump it on your trailer and dont tarp it chances are youll get pulled over for not securing your load. But we buy dump trucks because everyone around here wants their grass bagged and hauled away.

yea around here you dont see alot of companies bag grass so i wanted to try it this year. i think it will be a good nich to get into. If i had know i was going to do this i would of kept my old dump truck but i ended up selling it last fall :hammerhead:

Mowerboy04
02-26-2010, 04:01 PM
has anyone used a load handeler?

blakerugg
02-26-2010, 04:01 PM
I'm on my iPhone so I can't give u the link but search for a thread I started recenty about this
Posted via Mobile Device

Mowerboy04
02-26-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm on my iPhone so I can't give u the link but search for a thread I started recenty about this
Posted via Mobile Device

i coudn't find the link but if you could send it to me later i wodn't mind reading it.

blakerugg
02-26-2010, 04:38 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=305310

just discovered copy and paste on my phone lol hopefully I got the whole link
Posted via Mobile Device

Mowerboy04
02-26-2010, 04:46 PM
thanks link worked

Landscraper1
02-26-2010, 04:54 PM
We bag almost all of our customers and only use dump trucks. Dump it right at the shop for composting.

Mowerboy04
02-26-2010, 04:58 PM
We bag almost all of our customers and only use dump trucks. Dump it right at the shop for composting.

i wish a dump truck was a option at this time. maybe next year

Landscraper1
02-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Than just put a tarp in your truck bed. Get along one. If you get one maybe 8X16, you can put it down on the floor of your bed. Start from the tailgate toward the front. That way you have that extra length to cover your load. Also makes it easy to unload. Just pull from the top and down it goes. That's what I did when I first started out.:)

Or if you have a couple grand, get a dump insert. They work great. You can usually find one on craigslist.

Mowerboy04
02-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Than just put a tarp in your truck bed. Get along one. If you get one maybe 8X16, you can put it down on the floor of your bed. Start from the tailgate toward the front. That way you have that extra length to cover your load. Also makes it easy to unload. Just pull from the top and down it goes. That's what I did when I first started out.:)

Or if you have a couple grand, get a dump insert. They work great. You can usually find one on craigslist.

thats kind of what i was thinking. or they make a loadhandeler so maybe try that.

Landscraper1
02-26-2010, 05:45 PM
I've seen the commercials on the Loadhandler. Don't know how well it works but, it looks good.

Alluring Lawns
02-26-2010, 05:58 PM
LOAD HANDLER is the greatest thing ever invented in my humble opinion, saves my back a lot of strain, and a lot of time. I do go through about one a year though.

P&C Lawn Care
02-26-2010, 06:25 PM
On the commercial properties we just use the dumpster. On residentals we have cans we dump into and then empty at the end of the day. Alot of the larger crews use a dump stake bed and then dump it at the end of the day. I've seen alot of made dump systems in the bed of truck and trailers too.

yardguy28
02-26-2010, 08:07 PM
skipped reading the posts so apologizies if i'm repeating posts.

i have a load handler and i dump the clipping straight into the truck. at the end of the work day i stop at the local recycling center and dump the clippings off.

THEGOLDPRO
02-26-2010, 08:13 PM
only noobs bag grass.

blakerugg
02-26-2010, 08:19 PM
only noobs bag grass.

im assuming u mulch? what if u get a customer that requests it?

yardguy28
02-26-2010, 08:21 PM
only noobs bag grass.

takes one to know one :laugh:

Landscraper1
02-26-2010, 08:35 PM
only noobs bag grass.

Wow, we have all learned alot from that. Please, don't stop posting. Enlighten us all with your wisdom!:rolleyes:

THEGOLDPRO
02-26-2010, 08:40 PM
i only bag if its wet out, and it looks like piss when im done cutting it, other then that i mulch it all.

THEGOLDPRO
02-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Wow, we have all learned alot from that. Please, don't stop posting. Enlighten us all with your wisdom!:rolleyes:

im just happy i could teach a few noobs like yourself a couple things. if you need anything else let me know.

WHIPPLE5.7
02-26-2010, 08:58 PM
only noobs bag grass.
I guess it depends where you live. Around here most places are accessable only to 21s and 36s and people are very picky. I do have some places that I side discharge at but bagging is pretty routine in many towns/cities. Many cities are setup differant with lot sizes of 7,000 sq. ft. maximum so by the time a home, garage, and sidewalks fill space there is only 2,000 or 3,000 sq. ft. of green. Given that the yard is that small they want it bagged. Now if we all had 60" ZTRs and customers with 2-5 acre yards and no fences yes mulching/side discharging is the norm. Yes it sucks that I have to play around with such small places and only spend minutes at a place before moving on but I don't have many options as many others don't either. If I moved somewhere that all customers had acres and acres of grass at one location I would be lovin life but I'm not alone in the postage stamp yard world.

Landscraper1
02-26-2010, 09:02 PM
im just happy i could teach a few noobs like yourself a couple things. if you need anything else let me know.

No, I think I'm coming out of this thread dumber than I came in. I noticed you like to show us your nice Dodge pickups. Do you wax them every week? They look so shiney.

Turf Dawg
02-26-2010, 09:09 PM
only noobs bag grass.

This is the end of my 14th season. How much longer do I need to stop being a noob? And does that mean I need to sell my Walker and the bags for my 21"

Landscraper1
02-26-2010, 09:27 PM
This is the end of my 14th season. How much longer do I need to stop being a noob? And does that mean I need to sell my Walker and the bags for my 21"

Sorry but, if he called me a noob, then you are definitely one too. Because, I have been in the business for over 30 yrs.
Boy, I can't imagine how many years of experience he has! :weightlifter:

Vogel-Landscaping
02-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Sorry but, if he called me a noob, then you are definitely one too. Because, I have been in the business for over 30 yrs.
Boy, I can't imagine how many years of experience he has! :weightlifter:
^:laugh::laugh:

STIHL GUY
02-26-2010, 10:54 PM
i only bag when i have to but i just dump in the bed of my pickup and unload it with the pitchfork when im done

P&C Lawn Care
02-26-2010, 11:06 PM
Wow 23 years of being a Noob. I sure am glad because it pays off bagging,

DLCS
02-26-2010, 11:08 PM
All you guys that put grass clippings in dumpsters, what do the waste companies say about that? If you do that here they will not empty that dumpster, then you get a pissed off customer.

Landscraper1
02-26-2010, 11:12 PM
All you guys that put grass clippings in dumpsters, what do the waste companies say about that? If you do that here they will not empty that dumpster, then you get a pissed off customer.

Can't do that around my area also. Can get fined.

Hey guys, Maybe we can start a new forum for noobs like us. We can have that guy with the Dodges set the standards of noobility for us. You know he has a vast wealth of kmowledge we can tap into.:)

2stroke
02-26-2010, 11:22 PM
my loadhanler is worth its wieght in gold

DLCS
02-26-2010, 11:23 PM

Sir, you need a dump insert or a dump truck. My back just aches looking at that pile.

2stroke
02-26-2010, 11:26 PM
the cows love me.

yardguy28
02-27-2010, 12:56 AM

i find the lawn guys who pile there grass so high and don't put a tarp over the top letting it fall out of the truck as they drive extremely rude, inconsiderate and annoying.

i only fill my truck bed to the top of the rails, maybe a little higher, but if i can't get my 6' x 8' tarp over the top and secured down then i'm putting in to much.

that pic there is never something you'll find me doing. i'd even consider turning someone over to the law for something like that and yes there is a law against stuff like that.

climber338
02-27-2010, 01:49 AM
I just let them fly because one third of the lawns nitrogen is in those clipping. If your running into thatch problems then you need to restore the lawns micro organisms in the form of compost tea or just a layer of compost on the lawn. In my experience fertilizers tend to kill off the micro organisms and then the thatch comes soon after. I live in the north east and just letting them fly seems to work great for me. I even took over for a guy who was bagging and the lawn looked like crap when i got there. At the end of the season it was nice and green and hardly any weeds because i also let it grow higher then most and that shades out allot of weeds.

Mowerboy04
02-27-2010, 04:10 AM
only noobs bag grass.

humm thats odd.... ive been doing this for 6 years. Im trying to offer my clients a higher level of service, and i feel bagging the lawns will help improve the look of there lawn. Also i feel i may have a nich if i bag lawns because i will be the only company in town that will offer this service.

Mowerboy04
02-27-2010, 04:12 AM

will your load handler unload that much grass?

Alpha Property
02-27-2010, 08:56 AM
i just pulled the trigger on a 6ft aluminum Truck craft insert for my chev. I went 2 years just putting it in the bed of my truck, I was averaging an hour by myself to unload every night after i sent my guys home for the day. Which was a pain but not costing me employee wages. Well this last fall i was needing to dump at lunch and then again at the end of the day, and it was killing me.

THC
02-27-2010, 09:18 AM
I agree with the guy that said ya'll a bunch of noobs. Don't bag grass unless it's badly over grown. I never lost a customer because I mulch, lots of them like it and some have requested it, and most of my yards are 5-10k lots. If someone requests I bag their grass I tell them I only do it when it's over grown and that's it. We part ways if there's a problem with that. I even mulch leaves in the fall now, I don't know what you people are thinking about. Maybe you can't mulch with a 21? serves you right for shopping at home depot.

Alpha Property
02-27-2010, 09:23 AM
i don't go out with the intent of bagging my lawns, i have Side discharge and high lift blades on my machines, i tryed a mulching kit on my scag, but it seams like every april, may, a bit of june, september october and a bit of november, i just can't stop bagging. And bagging lots, like filling my accelerator and grass gobbler 4 or 5 times in a back yard, and were not talking big back yards, all of my residentials are under a 1/4 acer pritty much

Landscraper1
02-27-2010, 09:41 AM
I just let them fly because one third of the lawns nitrogen is in those clipping. If your running into thatch problems then you need to restore the lawns micro organisms in the form of compost tea or just a layer of compost on the lawn. In my experience fertilizers tend to kill off the micro organisms and then the thatch comes soon after. I live in the north east and just letting them fly seems to work great for me. I even took over for a guy who was bagging and the lawn looked like crap when i got there. At the end of the season it was nice and green and hardly any weeds because i also let it grow higher then most and that shades out allot of weeds.

I have a few places that I do not bag. Those lawns look the worst. You do know that when you spread those clippings your also spreading the weeds.

sdk1959
02-27-2010, 09:44 AM
I agree with the guy that said ya'll a bunch of noobs. Don't bag grass unless it's badly over grown. I never lost a customer because I mulch, lots of them like it and some have requested it, and most of my yards are 5-10k lots. If someone requests I bag their grass I tell them I only do it when it's over grown and that's it. We part ways if there's a problem with that. I even mulch leaves in the fall now, I don't know what you people are thinking about. Maybe you can't mulch with a 21? serves you right for shopping at home depot.

I agree 100% A lawn should only be bagged when overgrown, the grass is very wet or has a lot of moisture in it, otherwise it should be mulched.

Baggers...... enlighten yourself and read the article in the link below, educate yourself:

http://cecalaveras.ucdavis.edu/grass.htm

Mulching Yes!!:):):) Bagging No!!!:nono::nono::nono:

Happy Mulching!!!:cool2::cool2:

Landscraper1
02-27-2010, 09:52 AM

I love guys like you. Makes it so easy to for us, so called noobs, to pick up more customers.
Hey, does this mean I have to buy my equipment at Home Depot in order to keep my nooby card. I don't think I can do that. They don't carry those $3000 collection systems I use on my $13,000 Hustler Super Z's.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Turf Dawg
02-27-2010, 10:53 AM
I am not saying that I bag 100% of the time, because I do not. I depends on the situation for me. On the larger properties and the ones that are not all that great I use my 66" mower either SD or mulching. Where I do bag is most of my residential that are Bermuda and all of my commercial where some of the trash including cig butts are a problem.

But please do not come on here and call me a noob for bagging. There are cases where mulching is better and times when bagging is better. Also there is times when some of you that are mulching grass that is too long are actually hurting the lawn. Let some of you that are mulching enthusiast come down to my area and cut some nice Bermuda and see how gung-ho you are then.

The-Other-Side
02-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Why is that every time that someone has a question about bagging there is always the know it alls that have to get their .02 in about why the whole world should just mulch everything? NOT EVERY occasion calls for a lawn to be mulched!! Start a new thread on the superior greatness of never bagging.:hammerhead:

Now, when we do bag, we use one of two options. One is we dump on 6'x8' tarps and tie them up. One person can handle these tarps by them self without throwing out your back or anything. Plus they are the perfect size for dumping from the Navigators. The second option is we use these large, 4 handled, canvas type bags that we get from a the hardscape stores. When we buy pea gravel or small loose rock they will put it in these bags. After they are empty we reuse them for grass clippings or whatever else. They are very strong and last a long time. Most of the stone yards around us sell them.

We usually do not bag a whole lot so we typically just keep the tarps or bags on the trailer for a couple of days until we make a run to the vegetative dump.

ALC-GregH
02-27-2010, 12:16 PM
i find the lawn guys who pile there grass so high and don't put a tarp over the top letting it fall out of the truck as they drive extremely rude, inconsiderate and annoying.

i only fill my truck bed to the top of the rails, maybe a little higher, but if i can't get my 6' x 8' tarp over the top and secured down then i'm putting in to much.

that pic there is never something you'll find me doing. i'd even consider turning someone over to the law for something like that and yes there is a law against stuff like that.

What exactly are you talking about? If your referring to the pic of the Dodge truck that is on a job cutting grass and has a mess going on that I'm sure he cleaned up and put in the truck bed AND covered it all up with the tarp laying on the ground, then you have serious problems. Your running your mouth threatening to turn someone in and don't have a clue what your even talking about. :hammerhead:

2stroke
02-27-2010, 12:25 PM

In this situation the cow farm that i dump at is less than a 1/4 mile on a dirt rd. in a private subdivition. get a clue buddy.

sdk1959
02-27-2010, 02:33 PM
In this situation the cow farm that i dump at is less than a 1/4 mile on a dirt rd. in a private subdivition. get a clue buddy.

I guess yardguy28 is one of those ANNOYING people that make a comment when they ASSUME you are finished a job BEFORE you actually are.

You know the type, ex: expect a tool to be put away after each task instead of at the end of a job even though you'll need to use it half dozen more times.:hammerhead: Hey everybody let's do double the work on a job!:dizzy:

yardguy28
02-27-2010, 05:58 PM

I agree 100% A lawn should only be bagged when overgrown, the grass is very wet or has a lot of moisture in it, otherwise it should be mulched.

Baggers...... enlighten yourself and read the article in the link below, educate yourself:

Mulching Yes!!:):):) Bagging No!!!:nono::nono::nono:

Happy Mulching!!!:cool2::cool2:

i'm sure most of us on here know the benefits of mulching vs. bagging. but as i will state below not every situation can be mulched.

I love guys like you. Makes it so easy to for us, so called noobs, to pick up more customers.
Hey, does this mean I have to buy my equipment at Home Depot in order to keep my nooby card. I don't think I can do that. They don't carry those $3000 collection systems I use on my $13,000 Hustler Super Z's.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Why is that every time that someone has a question about bagging there is always the know it alls that have to get their .02 in about why the whole world should just mulch everything? NOT EVERY occasion calls for a lawn to be mulched!! Start a new thread on the superior greatness of never bagging.:hammerhead:

Now, when we do bag, we use one of two options. One is we dump on 6'x8' tarps and tie them up. One person can handle these tarps by them self without throwing out your back or anything. Plus they are the perfect size for dumping from the Navigators. The second option is we use these large, 4 handled, canvas type bags that we get from a the hardscape stores. When we buy pea gravel or small loose rock they will put it in these bags. After they are empty we reuse them for grass clippings or whatever else. They are very strong and last a long time. Most of the stone yards around us sell them.

We usually do not bag a whole lot so we typically just keep the tarps or bags on the trailer for a couple of days until we make a run to the vegetative dump.

i'm with you guys 100%. not every situation can be mulched. if your mowing wet or longer than normal turf mulching just makes it look like sheot. as for the leaves. a lot of clients prefer the spotless look bagging them up provides. and around my neck of the woods thats what they pay us for in the first place. you also have the clients that request you bag there lawn each and every time and i for one will not turn away business just because they want it bagged each and every time, especially when they are willing to pay the price for it to be bagged. i also bag my commercial properties because it makes clean up with parking lots A LOT easier. i learned that lesson the hard way.

the only mulch kit i own and will ever use is the one on my 36" metro and thats because it's primarily used on smaller backyards where if i side discharged it would cover the mulch beds with grass. i side discharge most lawns, except for my commercial accounts, the clients that request it be bagged, if the lawn is to long to side discharge and during the fall when the leaves are falling everyone gets bagged.

yardguy28
02-27-2010, 06:04 PM
What exactly are you talking about? If your referring to the pic of the Dodge truck that is on a job cutting grass and has a mess going on that I'm sure he cleaned up and put in the truck bed AND covered it all up with the tarp laying on the ground, then you have serious problems. Your running your mouth threatening to turn someone in and don't have a clue what your even talking about. :hammerhead:

never said i was going to turn him in. but i would consider turning someone in my neck of the woods in if i was out and saw someone driving down the road like that.

yep i saw those very words right in the picture i made the comments on. what i was thinking :hammerhead:

I guess yardguy28 is one of those ANNOYING people that make a comment when they ASSUME you are finished a job BEFORE you actually are.

You know the type, ex: expect a tool to be put away after each task instead of at the end of a job even though you'll need to use it half dozen more times.:hammerhead: Hey everybody let's do double the work on a job!:dizzy:

well you would know all about that because your ASSUMING i'm one of those people :hammerhead:

jasontimm
02-27-2010, 06:34 PM
I never multch a lawn, either it gets bagged or blown, it looks like crap if you multch a wet lawn, and i dont have the time to wait until 1000 o'clock for the lawns to dry after a heavy dew, and when i do bag i fill the ruck to the top with the grass, open the tailgate and drive like a mofo, why..because its less grass to shovel out of the truck!!!:cool2:

dishboy
02-27-2010, 06:48 PM
I never multch a lawn, either it gets bagged or blown, it looks like crap if you multch a wet lawn, and i dont have the time to wait until 1000 o'clock for the lawns to dry after a heavy dew, and when i do bag i fill the ruck to the top with the grass, open the tailgate and drive like a mofo, why..because its less grass to shovel out of the truck!!!:cool2:

If you get those results mulching your N program is mismanaged or your mulching system sub par.

dishboy
02-27-2010, 06:54 PM

No, it means you are wasting time , resources and you might educate yourself on the benefits to the turf/soil that leaving clipping does. Clippings are a EXCELLENT source of fresh OM.

dishboy
02-27-2010, 07:00 PM

If you put that heavy ill cutting field mower in my small residentials I mulch you would be fired within four weeks. Bragging on a machine because how much you spent does not impress anyone.

jasontimm
02-27-2010, 07:03 PM
IF a customer wants thier lawn bagged, you bag it, if the lawn get really long and you want it to look great when your done you bag it! all my lawn look great when i'm done, in 9 years of buisness i have never lost a customer because they were unhappy with my work, and with over 100 accounts i'm pretty proud of that, but if you want to multch everything, everyday then have at it!!!!

dishboy
02-27-2010, 07:11 PM
IF a customer wants thier lawn bagged, you bag it, if the lawn get really long and you want it to look great when your done you bag it! all my lawn look great when i'm done, in 9 years of buisness i have never lost a customer because they were unhappy with my work, and with over 100 accounts i'm pretty proud of that, but if you want to multch everything, everyday then have at it!!!!

If the customer can not see any difference in the finished product and yet turf quality steadily improves because you are leaving the clippings they do not care that you mulched, in fact they come to prefer it. I bagged for twenty two years before I wised up. I converted 100% of my accounts to mulching and have not lost one.

DLCS
02-27-2010, 07:20 PM
We mow weekly, are lawns never need bagged.

yardguy28
02-27-2010, 07:21 PM
If the customer can not see any difference in the finished product and yet turf quality steadily improves because you are leaving the clippings they do not care that you mulched, in fact they come to prefer it. I bagged for twenty two years before I wised up. I converted 100% of my accounts to mulching and have not lost one.

yes if they don't care by all means mulch the lawn. but i wouldn't turn away business because the client wants there lawn bagged each and every time.

i personally side discharge most of my accounts. had a problem with a mulch kit last season and i will never go back to mulching. to many variables.

mulching works BEST when you only cut x amount off, when it's dry, etc.

discharging and bagging can be done wet or dry. so like someone said, no waiting for the morning dew to burn off.

another reason i don't mulch is because i do bag some accounts and i'm not gonna spend the money to have one mower set up with a mulch kit and another set up to bag. i have one 52" grandstand and a 36" metro. i'm not gonna have 2 of one of those machines so i can mulch most and bag the few that want it bagged. the 36" metro does have a mulch kit on it during the summer season but it's primary use is backyards i can't get the 52" in.

yardguy28
02-27-2010, 07:26 PM

i mow weekly as well but in the spring and sometimes in the summer with the rain the growth is more than what you can do with side discharging or mulching.

jasontimm
02-27-2010, 07:55 PM

maybe you should stop sufficating the roots by multching everyweek you will have better growth, i get 1 to 1.5 inches per week growth around here.....but then again i dont multch

clydebusa
02-27-2010, 08:23 PM
This is what I have in my truck and works real well. probably has save me 1,000 dollars in the last 3 years in time. I did get the more expensive model. I bought it for just what you are needing. the extra benny is unloading mulch with wheelborrows under the tail gate, this is really fast!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.comfortchannel.com/level.itml/icOid/8237?ovchn=ggl&ovcpn=Truck+Bed+Unloaders&ovcrn=load+handler&ovtac=ppc&002=2150463&004=381121699&005=48896911&006=730672939&007=Search&008=&gclid=CJD60bXik6ACFSIdawodv1r7cw

a_mow_zing
02-27-2010, 09:26 PM
here our trash service is waste management they sell these green bags that you can put leaves or grass in because they will not pick up a normal black trash bag with that type of stuff in them most people buy their own and when they are scheduled for service that day they will just leave them out by the door step and when im done ill sit them out by their garage or take them down by the street depending on when they get their trash picked up sometimes people forget to do that so i always have a roll in the truck if that happens ill just charge them a $1 a bag most yards i only bag the front yards (because "thats the only part of the yard everyone sees" and not too many people want to pay for bagging the whole yard) so saying that i will get 2 bags a mowing in the spring and and 1 bag in the dog days of summer off the front yards this is very convenient and no mess or a dumping fee at the dump

Yep, this is what I do too....We dont have the green bag thing here though, get a roll of the big lawn garbage bags, fill em up and leave em by the street.

sdk1959
02-27-2010, 10:20 PM
maybe you should stop sufficating the roots by multching everyweek you will have better growth, i get 1 to 1.5 inches per week growth around here.....but then again i dont mulch

You should read this article in the link below and enlighten you AND your customers about mulching. I also hope you are charging extra for bagging the grass clippings and their removal. Around here that's a extra service and so there's a extra charge.

jasontimm
02-27-2010, 10:42 PM
You should read this article in the link below and enlighten you AND your customers about mulching. I also hope you are charging extra for bagging the grass clippings and their removal. Around here that's a extra service and so there's a extra charge.

Dont worry, i do, and i do appreciate your concern. :hammerhead: i would consider multching if i only had 30 or so customers to worry about, which in turn would give me the chance to be mowing it every three to four days to keep up with the limited growth needed to multch, but that isnt the case, the majority of my customers budget for weekly mowing not twice a week. again for the third TIME, multching is fine, but for my area, and my buisness it does not work out, if you can do it, more power to you, but feel free to not shove it down everyone's throat. there is a guy in a near-by town that multches everything, in the past year i got five of his 30 customers, why? because they were sick of paying him to mow every 3-4 days. I do what the customer wants.

dishboy
02-27-2010, 10:58 PM
maybe you should stop sufficating the roots by multching everyweek you will have better growth, i get 1 to 1.5 inches per week growth around here.....but then again i dont multch

"sufficating the roots" What the heck are you talking about? Show me a study that says bagging is better for the turf and I will show you five that say it isn't. I get 1.5" to 2.5" a week and I mulch all year long. If you can not deal with that growth your equipment /or you and your equipment are lacking. I take lawns away from guys who bag because my lawns look better week in and week out. I might bag a lawn the first time I do it, they see what I do and then that lawn never sees a bag again.

Manscape
02-27-2010, 11:05 PM
I wish I had the optiona to SD or mulch....But im afraid if I did either of those I'd have to cancel my membership to LawnSite, due to the fact that I'd no longer be a landscaper.....Everyone where I live wants it bagged and hauled....Hence the dump truck.

I have a place where I Dump for free, so it's not so bad...collection system is expensive, but bagging lawns is figured into my cost. In this situation, you can emphasize the importance of your fertilizing programs to your customers because you bag.....make a few extra $$

jasontimm
02-27-2010, 11:06 PM
"sufficating the roots" What the heck are you talking about? Show me a study that says bagging is better for the turf and I will show you five that say it isn't. I get 1.5" to 2.5" a week and I mulch all year long. If you can not deal with that growth your equipment /or you and your equipment are lacking. I take lawns away from guys who bag because my lawns look better week in and week out. I might bag a lawn the first time I do it, they see what I do and then that lawn never sees a bag again.

Well.....good for you, your the man!!!!

DLCS
02-27-2010, 11:49 PM

I don't mulch.:) My growth is fine, just because a lawn has exponential growth does not mean its healthy. My lawns are fertilized properly and my customers love our work. I've been in business since '98, the only lawns we that we have bagged in the past were lawns treated by True Green. If need be in the Spring, we will double cut but that's rare. If I was suffocating the roots, then there would be a thatch problem. I haven't thatched any regular mow customers lawns in years.

Hey if bagging works for you, then so be it. I was stating what works for us. You assume too much.

rain man
02-27-2010, 11:57 PM
To bag or not to bag? It all depends but I won't go there. When we do have to bag we like leaves best. Makes good compost (along with a little bark mixed in). Burn a few to get some ashes. Mix it all together in the right amounts and put it into the garden.

We had fresh tomatoes every day from spring to fall last year and put 150 lbs of potatoes into the freezer. Grew hot peppers til frost, okra 7 ft tall, hybrid and heirloom squash, cucumbers (for pickling and frying), zuchini, and truck loads of mustard greens. Rabbits got the bell peppers, corn had problems. Adding pole beans and butter beans this year.

dobe
02-28-2010, 01:24 AM
most people here want their lawn bagged. and i have had some that only want a walker to cut their lawn.
i think most run at least one walker here.
in town you have a spot out front on the road/sidewalk where they want you to dump and you just dump there. the town comes pick it up as long as they pay for trash pickup. ( leaves and sticks go there as well. )
in the country they usually tell you to dump near the woods or something like that.

Hawg City Lawns
02-28-2010, 04:03 AM
most people here want their lawn bagged. and i have had some that only want a walker to cut their lawn.
i think most run at least one walker here.
in town you have a spot out front on the road/sidewalk where they want you to dump and you just dump there. the town comes pick it up as long as they pay for trash pickup. ( leaves and sticks go there as well. )
in the country they usually tell you to dump near the woods or something like that.

thats odd ive never had someone point at a mower and say "hey i want that thing to mow my yard it looks like it does a great job" haha would be cool if that happend though walkers are pretty interesting machines if i had a use for one id definitely look into one other than that im surprised not many other people do what i do with the grass clippings

Turf Dawg
02-28-2010, 08:00 AM
To bag or not to bag? It all depends but I won't go there. When we do have to bag we like leaves best. Makes good compost (along with a little bark mixed in). Burn a few to get some ashes. Mix it all together in the right amounts and put it into the garden.

We had fresh tomatoes every day from spring to fall last year and put 150 lbs of potatoes into the freezer. Grew hot peppers til frost, okra 7 ft tall, hybrid and heirloom squash, cucumbers (for pickling and frying), zuchini, and truck loads of mustard greens. Rabbits got the bell peppers, corn had problems. Adding pole beans and butter beans this year.

You just made me huuuunnngggrryy :cool2::drinkup::clapping:

THEGOLDPRO
02-28-2010, 04:57 PM
This is one of the dumbest comments on lawn site. What do you run, an encore and a craftsman? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:laugh::drinkup:Good luck buddy.

3 encores, and 2 craftsmans actually, im pretty serious over here.

THEGOLDPRO
02-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Probably why he drives the trucks he drives. I would take it from someone with two old shlt box dodge pickups. Probably has a real nice business.:laugh:

lets see your operation sport. post a few pics and show why your better then everyone else.

Darryl G
02-28-2010, 05:03 PM
I only bag grass on a case by case basis as needed. One green barrel is usually all I need in a day, but I carry a smaller trash can in that with reused 45 gallon heavy duty bags in case that isn't enough. In the spring when I bag all my accounts for the first cut or 2 and in the fall when I'm bagging more due to leaves I run my dump trailer and just dump it up front. Clippings go to my compost pile and are used in the veggie garden after they're finished composting (about 1.5 years).

THEGOLDPRO
02-28-2010, 05:36 PM
I understand that but while you are wading through the posts look back and see what goldpro has posted throughout. I started reading it and just wanted to let him know what I thought. I am done now. Sorry for clogging up the thread

all i said was bagging is for noobs, which it is, if your a noob im sorry dont get upset.

edit: and that walkers were garbage which they are, i only speak the truth.

nepatsfan
02-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Crip fight!!!! Lol.

LOL
:drinkup:

Darryl G
02-28-2010, 05:42 PM
calm down darryl.

I'm calm, how about you grow up a little and start acting like a professional?

a_mow_zing
02-28-2010, 05:43 PM
LOL

:waving:

THEGOLDPRO
02-28-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm calm, how about you grow up a little and start acting like a professional?

what are you the mayor of the land of the grown up's. are people not allowed to argue alittle? every time your parents argued when you were younger did you scream at them to grow up?

Darryl G
02-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Guess you're not capable! Sorry to make such an unreasonable request. You just don't know when to shut up, do you?

You need to take Pro out of your name in my opinion.

Good day..you've wasted enough of my time.

THEGOLDPRO
02-28-2010, 05:56 PM
you've wasted enough of my time.

thats all i can ask for.

SouthSide Cutter
02-28-2010, 06:08 PM
A guy mows a bank here with a walker and it pretty good to me. But maybe I dont know either.

Hawg City Lawns
02-28-2010, 06:11 PM
lets not get this thread deleted im actually interested in what other people do with their clippings

THEGOLDPRO
02-28-2010, 06:13 PM
for the record tho if i have to bag grass i usually walk into the woods on their property and dump it out, i take nothing with me if im forced to bag.

Darryl G
02-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that I have some properties where I can dump clippings onsite. Large lots surrounded by woods. But I don't dump them all in one spot as a pile...I scatter them so they're not very thick, otherwise the piles can get really nasty and smell like ammonia bad. If it's grass mixed with leaves it's not so bad, but straight grass can get plain gross.

Darryl G
02-28-2010, 06:22 PM
for the record tho if i have to bag grass i usually walk into the woods on their property and dump it out, i take nothing with me if im forced to bag.

So you earlier posted that only noobs bag grass, started a big old ruckus here and not you come clean and admit you bag grass. You need to find a better way to entertain yourself than trolling on a professional forum! Maybe get a PS3 or something.

jasontimm
02-28-2010, 06:30 PM
I dont bag a lot of properties, maybe a half days worth, i will schedule them all for one day. It seems like everyone has thier own thing, multch, bag, blow. Its never been worth the argument with the home owner to not bag it, because it really doesnt matter to me, i get paid more for bagging, but in turn, its a lot more dicking around. I might try multching a few of my accounts this year, see how it goes, maybe it will work good....

but i will say.....you multch everything guys are hardcore about it.....its kinda fun messing with ya :)

THEGOLDPRO
02-28-2010, 06:38 PM
So you earlier posted that only noobs bag grass, started a big old ruckus here and not you come clean and admit you bag grass. You need to find a better way to entertain yourself than trolling on a professional forum! Maybe get a PS3 or something.

I never said i NEVER bag, i was referring to the guys who bag everything everytime. their are situations where you need to bag every now and again, i dont make a habbit of it. and i do have a ps3 im taking a break from it for a few hours.

nepatsfan
02-28-2010, 06:42 PM
I never said i NEVER bag, i was referring to the guys who bag everything everytime. their are situations where you need to bag every now and again, i dont make a habbit of it. and i do have a ps3 im taking a break from it for a few hours.

habbit ...LOL

THEGOLDPRO
02-28-2010, 06:43 PM
lol i knew you were gonna stalk me, my mission is complete.

Darryl G
02-28-2010, 06:49 PM
only noobs bag grass.

Did someone else post this for you? You're a troll, plain and simple and going on my ignore list.

THEGOLDPRO
02-28-2010, 06:56 PM
dang you really are sensitive, im sorry little buddy dont block me.

a_mow_zing
02-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Did someone else post this for you? You're a troll, plain and simple and going on my ignore list.

Nope, nobody posted that for him....He is just a self admitted noob.

DLCS
02-28-2010, 07:10 PM
dang you really are sensitive, im sorry little buddy dont block me.

LOL, reminds me of the time someone got sensitive about being called a "Lawnsite Addict", you know the title under your name after xxxx amount of posts. An oldie but a goodie...http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=97181&highlight=lawnsite+addict

Darryl G
02-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Always sticking your nose where it don't belong Mike.

DLCS
02-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Always sticking your nose where it don't belong Mike.

Just why are you playing the referee in this fight. Do you have a dog in this fight or are you just a addict?:)

Darryl G
02-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Well, sitting here in my cell wearing a striped suit and it made me feel like a referee, lol. And j/k Mike, I don't mind you busting my stones..you do it respectfully. But "someone" was out of line calling me a miserable SOB just for saying that if I caught someone throwing a flyer in a baggy on my driveway that I'd throw it back at them...I would, lol. I have a 34 acre riverfront estate here and it's enough work trying to keep it in shape without having to pick up after scrubs ;)

To add something useful...I bought mulching kits for both of my Exmark mowers (48 inch Turf Tracer and 52 inch Lazer Z HP. They really do a nice job and it's great to be able to run along beds on either side without worrying about throwing clippings into beds. However, it's just not practical for lush grass in my area. Not during peak growing season anyway. Sometimes you have to go really slow and if it's wet, well forget it. Some years I will put the mulch kit on the Tracer after the peak growth is done and use that to cut in with before hopping on the Lazer. But it just doesn't work for me to have mulching kits on both machines. If customers ask if I bag, I tell them that I bag as necessary. I don't charge extra to actually bag, but I do charge extra to haul off the clippings. I will add an excessive growth surcharge sometimes which is essentially the same as a bagging charge..because if it's that long, I am bagging it.

nepatsfan
02-28-2010, 08:39 PM
For the record that wasn't a fight. It is tough to have a reasonable argument with someone with that level of intellect. He just spouts off on every thread and says stupid things to get people going. I was just pointing out obvious things and I can see why daryl would get annoyed.

yardguy28
02-28-2010, 08:53 PM
actually whats annoying is when a couple of people litter a thread that has valuable information in it with a bunch of BS causing it to get deleted.

not pointing any fingers or anything. just making a general statement......

THEGOLDPRO
02-28-2010, 09:28 PM
He just spouts off on every thread and says stupid things to get people going. .

you are correct, i have no real insite, nor do i really care to give much useful information, i basically come on here and make little comments to see if i can make people snap, it makes my day go by faster, and i get great joy from it.

a_mow_zing
02-28-2010, 09:36 PM
you are correct, i have no real insite, nor do i really care to give much useful information, i basically come on here and make little comments to see if i can make people snap, it makes my day go by faster, and i get great joy from it.

yep, textbook definition of a troll*trucewhiteflag*

DLCS
02-28-2010, 09:39 PM
actually whats annoying is when a couple of people litter a thread that has valuable information in it with a bunch of BS causing it to get deleted.

not pointing any fingers or anything. just making a general statement......

Do a search, this topic has been beaten to do death before. Search for the thread, "to bag or mulch leaves". Lots of useful info in that one. LMAO

THEGOLDPRO
02-28-2010, 09:42 PM
yep, textbook definition of a troll*trucewhiteflag*

I never tried to hide the fact that i enjoy annoying people.

DLCS
02-28-2010, 09:43 PM
But "someone" was out of line calling me a miserable SOB just for saying that if I caught someone throwing a flyer in a baggy on my driveway that I'd throw it back at them...I would, lol. .

I did throw one back and even chased the sob.

Drew87
02-28-2010, 10:17 PM
GoldPro you're just plain ignorant, the world and this forum would definitely be better without people who act like you! Thank you to everyone who took the time to share USEFUL information.

Mowerboy04
02-28-2010, 10:23 PM
wow i did't mean to start World war 3 here. My gosh guys i leave to plow snow for a few days and come back to this.

blakerugg
02-28-2010, 10:41 PM
wow i did't mean to start World war 3 here. My gosh guys i leave to plow snow for a few days and come back to this.

hahahahahhaha :rolleyes:

Darryl G
02-28-2010, 10:48 PM

Did you haul it off or just move it around? You know leaving all those piles of snow all over the place is really unsightly and plain unprofessional. I can't stand these guys who advertise for snow removal yet all they do is move it from one place to another. Removal means taking it away! :laugh:

Mowerboy04
02-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Did you haul it off or just move it around? You know leaving all those piles of snow all over the place is really unsightly and plain unprofessional. I can't stand these guys who advertise for snow removal yet all they do is move it from one place to another. Removal means taking it away! :laugh:

For the most part we leave the snow on sight. Most people in my area leave snow on sight. but if the piles start to get to large we will move them we haul them off sight. I know what u mean about the piles being unsightly i just try to keep them as neat as i can.

Darryl G
02-28-2010, 11:07 PM
You must be tired from plowing...I think that went over your head...I was trying to be funny/sarcastic..along the same lines as bagging grass or letting it fly.

I make piles too but I advertise snow plowing, not removal.

THEGOLDPRO
02-28-2010, 11:19 PM
GoldPro you're just plain ignorant, the world and this forum would definitely be better without people who act like you! Thank you to everyone who took the time to share USEFUL information.

lol got another one.

a_mow_zing
02-28-2010, 11:28 PM
lol got another one.

how much did the lift kit on your god awful looking blue dodge run ya?

Mowerboy04
02-28-2010, 11:30 PM
You must be tired from plowing...I think that went over your head...I was trying to be funny/sarcastic..along the same lines as bagging grass or letting it fly.

I make piles too but I advertise snow plowing, not removal.

sorry im soo out of it. I was out almost every day last week plowing. Im glad there not calling for any snow this coming week

THEGOLDPRO
02-28-2010, 11:36 PM
how much did the lift kit on your god awful looking blue dodge run ya?

thats stock height. i dont modify my trucks as i only use them for work.

a_mow_zing
02-28-2010, 11:39 PM
thats stock height. i dont modify my trucks as i only use them for work.

no thats not stock height....lol...if that is stock show me some stock pickups pics meaning the OEM manufactures pics with no options that are like that

THEGOLDPRO
02-28-2010, 11:46 PM
no thats not stock height....lol

uhhh yes it is, both of the dodges are bone stock.

a_mow_zing
02-28-2010, 11:51 PM
uhhh yes it is, both of the dodges are bone stock.

yep, sure...show me a pic of any other bone stock truck that has the frame thas above wheels of the truck

THEGOLDPRO
02-28-2010, 11:59 PM
yep, sure...show me a pic of any other bone stock truck that has the frame thas above wheels of the truck

lol why would i lie about putting a lift kit on my truck?? my red ram is the same exact height, looks lower because of the side step things.
http://www.msprotege.com/members/THEGOLDPRO/mulch2.jpg

THEGOLDPRO
03-01-2010, 12:07 AM
this one looks the same height as mine.
http://images.autotrader.com/scaler/565/421/images/2009/12/14/270/904/14257886632.270904773.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Hawg City Lawns
03-01-2010, 02:10 AM

not to be off topic but his truck is stock height the 4wd 2500 and even the 4wd 1500 sport sat up this high

THC
03-01-2010, 04:51 AM
Do you find the regular cab easier to plow with then the ex. cab?

clydebusa
03-01-2010, 06:04 AM
Geez guys, why don't you take your urination contest private....need I remind you that this a PROFESSIONAL forum?

I agree, so many of the threads go to sh...t!

Landscraper1
03-01-2010, 10:50 AM
If you put that heavy ill cutting field mower in my small residentials I mulch you would be fired within four weeks. Bragging on a machine because how much you spent does not impress anyone.

I guess you didn't get my point. I guess not everyone understands sarcasm. If I wanted to brag about the equipment I have, I would list it with every post like many here. :hammerhead:

Marcos
03-01-2010, 01:04 PM
only noobs bag grass.

Although his attitude is obviously over-the-top, I agree with him in his overall point that the practice of bagging lawn clippings is essentially the resurrection of your grandfather's naive mistake of an idea.
Grandpa never put any thought to the fact that the clippings he bagged & hauled off actually represented X% of the nitrogen he applied earlier that year.
Not to mention what he was doing was clogging up landfills unneccessally....(or the watersheds, if he was dumping illegally!):cry:

Many contractors that currently 'bag & haul' COULD BE mulching/discharging X% of their clippings, but they:

A) purchased expensive clipping (& leaf) pickup equipment that's often cumbersome, if not impossible to switch over to a 'mulch &/or discharge' system in the insane craziness of the growing season :dizzy:

B) in general, give little or no thought to the overall health & well being of the turf under their wheels, aside from maybe ....seeing a "nice stripe". :wall
These types of guys have completely NO understanding of the importance of returning clippings have to maintaining soil health in the turf.
So to these dweebs, this whole debate is inconsequential.

C) they fall behind in their mowing schedule for whatever reason, or get socked with rain / snow, etc...and thus feel pressed to hook up collection systems to get caught up.
But when they finally do, they stay in the 'pickup' pattern instead of switching to 'mulch'
Why?........:confused:
Either because of human nature's tendency to "stay the course".....
or
....because some of them feel they may rock the boat with their clients if they had been bagging clippings prior, then mulching / discharging later.

More professional mowing contractors should POLL THEIR CLIENTS as to whether THEY prefer bagging vs. mulching of their clippings.
I'll bet many of them that've been hiding under rocks might be surprised just what direction public consensus has taken lately!

Darryl G
03-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Marcos. Your post reminds me of this bit of humor a customer of mine gave me:

GOD AND ST. FRANCIS DISCUSSING LAWNS

GOD: Francis, you know all about gardens and nature. What in the world is going on down there? What happened to the dandelions, violets, thistle and stuff I started eons ago? I had a perfect, no-maintenance garden plan. Those plants grow in any type of soil, withstand drought and multiply with abandon. The nectar from the long lasting blossoms attracts butterflies, honey bees and flocks of songbirds. I expected to see a vast garden of colors by now. But all I see are these green rectangles.

ST. FRANCIS: It's the tribes that settled there, Lord. The Suburbanites. They started calling your flowers "weeds" and went to great lengths to kill them and replace them with grass.

GOD: Grass? But it's so boring. It's not colorful. It doesn't attract butterflies, birds and bees, only grubs and sod worms. It's temperamental with temperatures. Do these Suburbanites really want all that grass growing there?

ST. FRANCIS: Apparently so, Lord. They go to great pains to grow it and keep it green. They begin each spring by fertilizing grass and poisoning any other plant that crops up in the lawn.

GOD: The spring rains and warm weather probably make grass grow really fast. That must make the Suburbanites happy.

ST. FRANCIS: Apparently not, Lord. As soon as it grows a little, they cut it-sometimes twice a week.

GOD: They cut it? Do they then bale it like hay?

ST. FRANCIS: Not exactly, Lord. Most of them rake it up and put it in bags.

GOD: They bag it? Why? Is it a cash crop? Do they sell it?

ST. FRANCIS: No Sir. Just the opposite. They pay to throw it away.

GOD: Now let me get this straight. They fertilize grass so it will grow. And when it does grow, they cut it off and pay to throw it away?

ST. FRANCIS: Yes, Sir.

GOD: These Suburbanites must be relieved in the summer when we cut back on the rain and turn up the heat. That surely slows the growth and saves them a lot of work.

ST. FRANCIS: You aren't going to believe this Lord. When the grass stops growing so fast, they drag out hoses and pay more money to water it so they can continue to mow it and pay to get rid of it.
GOD: What nonsense. At least they kept some of the trees. That was a sheer stroke of genius, if I do say so myself. The trees grow leaves in the spring to provide beauty and shade in the summer. In the autumn they fall to the ground and form a natural blanket to keep moisture in the soil and protect the trees and bushes. Plus, as they rot, the leaves form compost to enhance the soil. It's a natural circle of life.

ST. FRANCIS: You better sit down, Lord. The Suburbanites have drawn a new circle. As soon as the leaves fall, they rake them into great piles and pay to have them hauled away.

GOD: No. What do they do to protect the shrub and tree roots in the winter and to keep the soil moist and loose?

ST. FRANCIS: After throwing away the leaves, they go out and buy something which they call mulch. They haul it home and spread it around in place of the leaves.

GOD: And where do they get this mulch?

ST. FRANCIS: They cut down trees and grind them up to make the mulch.

GOD: Enough. I don't want to think about this anymore. St. Catherine, you're in charge of the arts. What movie have they scheduled for us tonight?"

ST. CATHERINE: "Dumb and Dumber", Lord. It's a really stupid movie about.....

GOD: Never mind, I think I just heard the whole story from St. Francis.

Marcos
03-01-2010, 02:03 PM
ST. CATHERINE: "Dumb and Dumber", Lord. It's a really stupid movie about.....

GOD: Never mind, I think I just heard the whole story from St. Francis. [/I]

Thanks, darryl! :waving:

But in the context of changes in the green industry, don't get "dumb" confused with not being 'pro-active', or not being 'prepared'.

Or in other words, you don't have to be necessarily smart to be ahead of the curve!
Always keep your eyes & ears open.
And most importantly, have an open mind that in the context of many societal concerns, (i.e. green/environmental issues) the consumer ultimately controls the future destiny of your business, NOT the other way around.

I think many of you can relate with this.......

"The only thing that stays the same is....everything changes...everything changes"

Tracy Lawrence

THEGOLDPRO
03-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Do you find the regular cab easier to plow with then the ex. cab?

alittle easier i suppose in the tight spots as far as visibility goes, both trucks are the exact same length so they maneuver the same.

a_mow_zing
03-01-2010, 06:06 PM
not to be off topic but his truck is stock height the 4wd 2500 and even the 4wd 1500 sport sat up this high

*trucewhiteflag* I knew this, but if he was here just to argue, i was going to do the same...LOL, back to your regulary scheduled programming...

nepatsfan
03-01-2010, 06:32 PM
I guess you didn't get my point. I guess not everyone understands sarcasm. If I wanted to brag about the equipment I have, I would list it with every post like many here. :hammerhead:

Totally agree with that.

THEGOLDPRO
03-01-2010, 06:35 PM
do you guys think simplicity makes good mowers?

a_mow_zing
03-01-2010, 06:44 PM
do you guys think simplicity makes good mowers?

Like most manufactuers, it depends on the model. Which one are you talking about?

THEGOLDPRO
03-01-2010, 06:51 PM
im just looking to replace my encore with a nice commercial machine.

a_mow_zing
03-01-2010, 07:12 PM
the only one i have any experience with is the cobalt. I got it in september of last year so very few hours on it but it does the job.

nepatsfan
03-01-2010, 09:01 PM
I would not buy a simplicity. I also would not buy an encore. I would buy a walker.

yardguy28
03-01-2010, 09:08 PM
you should just shut your mouth then like i said. your words dont impress me one bit.

also im happy you have huge payments on your dump trucks:rolleyes: dont try and impress me. when you own your stuff and not the bank come talk to me.

since this thread has gone off topic any way i'll take a stab.......

if his words don't impress you what makes you think your words impress him or any of us for that matter??? you do a lot of "talking" yourself.

Roger
03-01-2010, 10:22 PM

More professional mowing contractors should POLL THEIR CLIENTS as to whether THEY prefer bagging vs. mulching of their clippings.

I believe that most of my customers wouldn't know what the question meant. In discussions from time to time, if the topic arises, it is clear they have no idea, nor do they care, what is done. Oh yes, there is a small percentage who understand, but it is a very small percentage.

The important question to my residential customers, "Does the job look good?" How that goal is accomplished is up to me. Much earlier in my life as an LCO, I got all bunched up about the topic. I tried to explain, get permissions, etc. That mentality is all gone now.

As I've been doing this work for many years now, it is clearer and clearer that nearly all of them just don't know, nor do they care. I never mention one word in my offer letters or quotations about clipping management. I do what is necessary to meet the standard I believe is right for the property, for the customer, and for me. The second item is what is important -- being sure to understand what the customer expects. However, I am also very concerned about what result I leave when I drive away - every finished job is my marketing brochure for other potential clients. I may choose to do more work than the client expects. That is my choice, for the benefit of my reputation.

THC
03-01-2010, 10:22 PM
alittle easier i suppose in the tight spots as far as visibility goes, both trucks are the exact same length so they maneuver the same.

I guess I was thinking of backdragging and using a pull plow on small residential driveways. I want to get a plow next winter because I'm sick of snowblower/shovel combo. Last time I checked out plows, 6-8 years ago, back dragging was a pipe dream. But the last couple years I've saw more and more plows back dragging or using a pull plow and doing a really good job.

dishboy
03-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Although his attitude is obviously over-the-top, I agree with him in his overall point that the practice of bagging lawn clippings is essentially the resurrection of your grandfather's naive mistake of an idea.
Grandpa never put any thought to the fact that the clippings he bagged & hauled off actually represented X% of the nitrogen he applied earlier that year.
Not to mention what he was doing was clogging up landfills unneccessally....(or the watersheds, if he was dumping illegally!):cry:

Many contractors that currently 'bag & haul' COULD BE mulching/discharging X% of their clippings, but they:

A) purchased expensive clipping (& leaf) pickup equipment that's often cumbersome, if not impossible to switch over to a 'mulch &/or discharge' system in the insane craziness of the growing season :dizzy:

B) in general, give little or no thought to the overall health & well being of the turf under their wheels, aside from maybe ....seeing a "nice stripe". :wall
These types of guys have completely NO understanding of the importance of returning clippings have to maintaining soil health in the turf.
So to these dweebs, this whole debate is inconsequential.

C) they fall behind in their mowing schedule for whatever reason, or get socked with rain / snow, etc...and thus feel pressed to hook up collection systems to get caught up.
But when they finally do, they stay in the 'pickup' pattern instead of switching to 'mulch'
Why?........:confused:
Either because of human nature's tendency to "stay the course".....
or
....because some of them feel they may rock the boat with their clients if they had been bagging clippings prior, then mulching / discharging later.

I'll bet many of them that've been hiding under rocks might be surprised just what direction public consensus has taken lately!

Smart man.

This is what I have found. Clients are reluctant to have A LAWN mulched because most LCO's do not know how to manage N. Most LCO's are also clueless when it comes to mulching deck design. A converted side discharge deck will not cut it unless heavily modified. If the customer does not see any clippings or leaf debris when you pull away they will they will be glad you are mulching as it is better for the soil/turf.

yardguy28
03-01-2010, 10:33 PM
I believe that most of my customers wouldn't know what the question meant. In discussions from time to time, if the topic arises, it is clear they have no idea, nor do they care, what is done. Oh yes, there is a small percentage who understand, but it is a very small percentage.

The important question to my residential customers, "Does the job look good?" How that goal is accomplished is up to me. Much earlier in my life as an LCO, I got all bunched up about the topic. I tried to explain, get permissions, etc. That mentality is all gone now.

As I've been doing this work for many years now, it is clearer and clearer that nearly all of them just don't know, nor do they care. I never mention one word in my offer letters or quotations about clipping management. I do what is necessary to meet the standard I believe is right for the property, for the customer, and for me. The second item is what is important -- being sure to understand what the customer expects. However, I am also very concerned about what result I leave when I drive away - every finished job is my marketing brochure for other potential clients. I may choose to do more work than the client expects. That is my choice, for the benefit of my reputation.

should also depend on how much the client is paying you. thats why i ask thos kind of questions. i'm gonna charge more for bagging a lawn than i will to side discharge it. if all the client will pay for is discharge even when some weeks it would need bagging due to excessive rain and growth thats all they get is discharge. i might run over the front twice or bag the front so i make a good impression for the rest of the neighborhood and maybe get some more business but i'm not gonna bag the whole lawn each and every time for the discharge price.

I guess I was thinking of backdragging and using a pull plow on small residential driveways. I want to get a plow next winter because I'm sick of snowblower/shovel combo. Last time I checked out plows, 6-8 years ago, back dragging was a pipe dream. But the last couple years I've saw more and more plows back dragging or using a pull plow and doing a really good job.

join my discussion in the off topic forum about blades.

i've been doing snow removal with my snow blower for 3 winters now. i've been looking at blades recently and am considering one for next winter.

problem is my truck is only rear wheel drive. i've been told i can run a rear plow no problem, even got a quote from a company around here for a rear plow. i've also been wondering if my truck would support one of the compact truck/SUV blades. it sounds like it should.

i'm running an 04 half ton chevy silverado. we usually see amounts of not much more than 4 inches each time it snows. once or twice a season we might see more. i do residential driveways only. i would think i could support one of the smaller blades or a rear blade for sure.

dtford
03-01-2010, 10:35 PM
We run walkers, and bag them all. We have retrofitted our trailers with 2 gates on the front so we can back our mowers up into the dump Truck and dump. I'm too old to be lifting barrels.

yardguy28
03-01-2010, 10:38 PM
We run walkers, and bag them all. We have retrofitted our trailers with 2 gates on the front so we can back our mowers up into the dump Truck and dump. I'm too old to be lifting barrels.

why not just purchase the lift for the walkers to back right up to the truck and dump???

DLCS
03-01-2010, 10:42 PM
why not just purchase the lift for the walkers to back right up to the truck and dump???

I've never owned a Walker but if I did that high lift attachment would be ordered with the machine. I never understood why the Walker guys dump the hopper on a tarp or in a barrel. That lift attachment is the best part of the Walker mower, imo. I want to build something like that for a ztr, kinda how JD had the highlift dump for the old 400 series tractors. It would be the cats arse.

yardguy28
03-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I've never owned a Walker but if I did that high lift attachment would be ordered with the machine. I never understood why the Walker guys dump the hopper on a tarp or in a barrel. That lift attachment is the best part of the Walker mower, imo. I want to build something like that for a ztr, kinda how JD had the highlift dump for the old 400 series tractors. It would be the cats arse.

it definitly would be the way to go. especially if you have an enclosed trailer. i know a lot of the guys that have open trailers just use the front part of the trailer to dump the grass from the walker but that takes up space on the trailer.

the only time i ever dump grass in a barrel is when i'm in the back yards. i have 55 gallon drums i've cut in half. i can dump my grass catcher from the 52" 2 maybe 3 times before i need to empty the drum. in the front yards i just run the catcher to the truck.

jasontimm
03-01-2010, 10:54 PM
should also depend on how much the client is paying you. thats why i ask thos kind of questions. i'm gonna charge more for bagging a lawn than i will to side discharge it. if all the client will pay for is discharge even when some weeks it would need bagging due to excessive rain and growth thats all they get is discharge. i might run over the front twice or bag the front so i make a good impression for the rest of the neighborhood and maybe get some more business but i'm not gonna bag the whole lawn each and every time for the discharge price.

join my discussion in the off topic forum about blades.

i've been doing snow removal with my snow blower for 3 winters now. i've been looking at blades recently and am considering one for next winter.

problem is my truck is only rear wheel drive. i've been told i can run a rear plow no problem, even got a quote from a company around here for a rear plow. i've also been wondering if my truck would support one of the compact truck/SUV blades. it sounds like it should.

i'm running an 04 half ton chevy silverado. we usually see amounts of not much more than 4 inches each time it snows. once or twice a season we might see more. i do residential driveways only. i would think i could support one of the smaller blades or a rear blade for sure.

You guys should look at the Hiniker "C" plow, ive had one for 5 years, and i dont think i could live without it, you cant beat it when it comes to back dragging.........now back to multch or not to multch....

jasontimm
03-01-2010, 11:02 PM
I have a question...how well of a job will you do when multching thick, sometimes damp bluegrass, with a 1 to 1.5 inch cut, i love the thought of multching, but have feared clumping with this type of turf condition. I'd hate to spend the $350 dollars for a mutch kit for my grasshopper diesel if it didnt look perfect in the end. input?

Darryl G
03-01-2010, 11:13 PM
I do what is necessary to meet the standard I believe is right for the property, for the customer, and for me. The second item is what is important -- being sure to understand what the customer expects. However, I am also very concerned about what result I leave when I drive away - every finished job is my marketing brochure for other potential clients. I may choose to do more work than the client expects. That is my choice, for the benefit of my reputation.

Very well said Roger, that about sums up how I see it too.

Marcos
03-02-2010, 01:01 AM

You obviously have kept your eye on the ball when it comes to keeping up with customer expectation, and more so, establishing YOUR local standard of excellence.

It sounds like the folks around you are quite laissez-faire about the environment.
I'll bet you that attitude won't last through this decade!

For 1 moment, let's talk hypothetically about your future encroaching local 'savvy green mowing competitors'. :)

If you "never mention one word in your offer letters...about clipping management", how do you know for sure your competitors are doing the exact same thing you are? :confused:

You may resist, but your mowing competitors WILL eventually over time become more & more savvy in the way of marketing 'green' to their clientele & prospects.
They'll learn to take advantage of current trends & common sense stuff like leaving grass clippings instead of hauling them off.
If they don't, their customers will start to kick their ### until they do!

Although it could require a few additional cuts per year compared to what you may be doing, the mulching / discharging of clippings back onto the lawn will be proven by the 'savvy green competitors' to save the client X amount of $$ per year in labor & disposal fees, not to mention the overhead costs associated w/ clipping vac equip.

And the savvy green competitor will show some of the reasons his competitor bagged & hauled off clippings was because they cut too much grass off per mowing, waited too long in between mowings, or the turf's top growth was juiced with too much nitrogen of the wrong type, or at the wrong TIMES.

The savvy green competitor will come in with a bid showing the clippings either discharged &/or mulched, and if they're full service contractors they'll quote an organic-based fertilizer program so as to NOT trigger the aforementioned rapid top growth.

Like it or not.....this is pretty much where we're headed, mowing folk. :waving:

Marcos
03-02-2010, 01:27 AM
This is what I have found. Clients are reluctant to have A LAWN mulched because most LCO's do not know how to manage N. Most LCO's are also clueless when it comes to mulching deck design. A converted side discharge deck will not cut it unless heavily modified. If the customer does not see any clippings or leaf debris when you pull away they will they will be glad you are mulching as it is better for the soil/turf.

Thanks, dish! :waving:

Good point!
As the lawn fertilizer industry is gradually moving away from sulfur coated ureas and toward bridge-organics / pure organics, I would think over time customer paranoia over clippings being left lying on the lawn will become less & less of a problem.

But still, there CAN BE high N release swings in certain seasonal time frames, regardless of the material used, even organics.
Lawn applicators of all disciplines need to know the release curve so as to hit the nail on the head in terms of effectiveness w/o triggering unnecessary & ultimately EXPENSIVE flush top growth.

dishboy
03-02-2010, 09:04 AM
But still, there CAN BE high N release swings in certain seasonal time frames, regardless of the material used, even organics.
Lawn applicators of all disciplines need to know the release curve so as to hit the nail on the head in terms of effectiveness w/o triggering unnecessary & ultimately EXPENSIVE flush top growth.

This is why I said "N management". N rates and TIMING are the key to a mulching program IMO . If you can not control this as well as the irrigation schedule you will be hard pressed to make a mulching program work. If I took on any client I would be pressed to bag also. My Organic program is offered at such low rates it is a easy sell. Since I am a cutter first I do this to ensure success in my mulching program. After not having to deal with the stink, mess, and work of hauling off clippings I would never again return to that business model.

To the OP , a load handler along with a bedliner and 12" of sideboards works very well for handling the clippings if you do not let them sit for more than 48 hours. Find a dairy, they will usually take fresh clippings for free.

Marcos
03-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Find a dairy, they will usually take fresh clippings for free.

Dairies? Never thought of that! Good idea! :waving:

As biofuel conversion efficiency improves during this decade, we'll no doubt be seeing costs drop significantly on such processes as the conversion of grass clippings / leaves into 'pellet fuel' such as what is commonly sold for wood stoves everywhere right now.

If energy demand stays at a certain high echelon, in my opinion it's highly likely by the end of this decade in certain parts of the country, commercial mowing contractors will be GETTING PAID in some manner to dump their clean loads of clippings/leaves at some common collection point be they municipal or privately operated.

So at some later point in time in the not-so-distant future, the foreman's quandry could be "do I mulch & be earth-friendly, or do I haul the clippings away & make beer $$$ ?"

yardguy28
03-02-2010, 03:04 PM
You guys should look at the Hiniker "C" plow, ive had one for 5 years, and i dont think i could live without it, you cant beat it when it comes to back dragging.........now back to multch or not to multch....

my big question is would it work with a rear wheel drive truck.

i've been told different things by different people about plowing with rear wheel drive vehicles. i can do into details in my off topic thread if you wanna read what i have to say.

Mahoney3223
03-02-2010, 03:33 PM
if you want to seriously bag grass every day then you need a dump insert or truck

smokes
03-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Shut up or I'll club both of you!

Darryl G
03-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Shut up or I'll club both of you!

Great first post. Way to make a good first impression!:rolleyes:

jasontimm
03-02-2010, 04:10 PM
my big question is would it work with a rear wheel drive truck.

i've been told different things by different people about plowing with rear wheel drive vehicles. i can do into details in my off topic thread if you wanna read what i have to say.

I hear ya, heavy wet snow could be a problem, light snow, i dont have to use my 4wd, but they are a heavy plow, i'm guessing if you put a bunch of weight in the rear might be o.k?? i cant say for sure...i'm not much help.

jasontimm
03-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Dairies? Never thought of that! Good idea! :waving:

As biofuel conversion efficiency improves during this decade, we'll no doubt be seeing costs drop significantly on such processes as the conversion of grass clippings / leaves into 'pellet fuel' such as what is commonly sold for wood stoves everywhere right now.

If energy demand stays at a certain high echelon, in my opinion it's highly likely by the end of this decade in certain parts of the country, commercial mowing contractors will be GETTING PAID in some manner to dump their clean loads of clippings/leaves at some common collection point be they municipal or privately operated.

So at some later point in time in the not-so-distant future, the foreman's quandry could be "do I mulch & be earth-friendly, or do I haul the clippings away & make beer $$$ ?"

that would be nice, but its the oppisite in some of the cities around here, they started charging to dump at the city compost, luckly they dont where i'm at, but it could be comming....

smokes
03-02-2010, 04:14 PM
First and Last.This is a joke.

yardguy28
03-03-2010, 09:58 AM
if you want to seriously bag grass every day then you need a dump insert or truck

what else would you throw grass clippings in. for that matter what else would you drive being in the lawn business. sure you see a few hauling there trailer with an SUV but not many.

i use a long bed pick up with a nice truck loader. one of the best investments i've made so far. fill it up drop the gate at the recycle center, crack the leaver and i'm gone.

Damon Max
03-18-2010, 11:04 AM
To our dedicated customers---check out our new facebook page and don't forget to become a fan!

Videos, Info, Updates, etc.......
Search Accelerator Industries Inc. on facebook

tgs property
02-25-2013, 10:46 AM
the load handlerer works ok it gets mostof the grass out theres always some to clean out but for the price you pay for one its probably ok I'm getting a dump insert this yr for my exsisting pickup instead of buying another truck trying to keep my multi vehicle costs down

weeze
02-25-2013, 04:50 PM
i forbid you to talk to that enchantress. bagging is the devil!!!

tgs property
02-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Plus if u have the capabilities of keeping it grass compost makes some of the best topsoil around
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
02-25-2013, 05:52 PM
xlWgF8dqneg

yardguy28
02-25-2013, 08:06 PM
i forbid you to talk to that enchantress. bagging is the devil!!!

I can't share your opinion on this one.

I only offer 2 ways. side discharging or bagging. when the grass is long enough it needs bagged anyway.

sure mulching is good but there are to many variables to make it work and make it work good. it has to be dry and can only be so long.

I can side discharge and bag any time. wet, dry, short or long.

weeze
02-25-2013, 08:31 PM
all i ever do is side discharge no matter what the conditions.

orlawncaresvc
02-25-2013, 11:49 PM
For those of you who bag grass weekly i was wondering how you handle your grass clippings. I either thinking building up the sides on my trailer and dumping onto a tarp and then draging it out. Or dumping into my pickup bed and put some sort of a load handler in it. Any and all ideas are appreciated.
thanks
alex

Get yourself one of these. This is what they be using here in Fresno Ca.

SRT8
02-26-2013, 12:49 AM
Get yourself one of these. This is what they be using here in Fresno Ca.

Wish I would have bought yours off of you.

gallihergreen
02-26-2013, 01:05 AM
thanks
alex

Load them in the dump bed, tarp it, and roll. :weightlifter:
Posted via Mobile Device

orlawncaresvc
02-26-2013, 02:57 AM
Wish I would have bought yours off of you.

Yeah, we saw our old trailer today. Guy who traded us for it washed it and has it parked in his drive way. It actually looked nice. Looks like he's doing some final things to it to get it going.

yardguy28
02-26-2013, 07:41 AM
all i ever do is side discharge no matter what the conditions.

well there is more than one variable as you know in deciding when or if to discharge, mulch or bag.

type of grass, client preferences, growth, etc.

in my neck of the woods there are times when the growth is to much and or to wet to just side discharge. even a double cut wouldn't finish the job. there are times when I will side discharge on the first pass and bag on the second. other times when I bag on the first and discharge on the second.

I'm doing tall fescue and kentucky blue by the way. sometimes, mostly in the spring you just can't get away from bagging or you'll leave clumps.

jrs.landscaping
02-26-2013, 03:23 PM
We bag larger properties in Spring, mulch/discharge mid summer, and bag again in the Fall.

Some contracts REQUIRE us to bag especially commercial cemetary accounts.

We had a custom ramp built to drive the mowers into the back of a dump truck. We also use our debris loader.

weeze
02-26-2013, 03:57 PM
i cut warm season grasses here and we cut short at 2" height. i've cut some yards over 1ft tall before and yeah it will leave a few clippings but that's what they get for waiting so long to have it cut. they never seem to mind and they understand that it will not look perfect after being cut the first time.

on regular yards if cut weekly the grass is 4" tall and i cut it down to 2". on bi weekly it is 6" tall cut down to 2" and i side discharge and it never leaves clippings sitting on top of the lawn. if you run into a thick area during the spring you just mow over that one spot another swipe and the clippings are gone. i never double cut a lawn ever. even in the fall when mowing leaves i don't go over the whole yard 2 times. i just mow it all to the center and go over that one spot a few more times to mulch them all up and they disappear completely.

there is a difference between leaving a few clippings on a lawn and leaving huge clumps on a lawn. the clippings will disappear in about 4-8hrs after you leave. clumps will stay on the lawn and still be there when you come back for the next cut. i don't really have much of a problem with clumps but then again i don't mow in the rain or anything like that.

you can look at the pictures in my gallery and see there are no clumps or clippings on the yards after i cut. they look fine without bagging.

jrs.landscaping
02-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Cutting 2-4" of clover wet or dry can leave a mess. With excessive field growth we'll bag first and then discharge the second cut. Usually we only have to do this a few times in the Spring it 90% of the time it is with clover.

yardguy28
02-26-2013, 04:47 PM
i don't cut in the rain either but there are times when the morning dew makes things wet. when side discharging or even bagging sometimes clumps are present and a second pass is required or you go around the whole yard with a blower.

we cut at the height of 3" or higher. weekly in most cases. sometimes more than weekly. we try to avoid bi weekly at all cost.

and yes there is a difference between leaving clippings around vs. clumps. side discharging alone leaves clippings around, but they will turn into food for the turf. clumps will kill whats under it and be present until at least the next service sometimes longer depending on if you leave it there and how large it is.

thelawnman
02-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Trash cans and the back of the truck

Tsklandscaping
02-26-2013, 08:56 PM
You need to buy a Load handler, it is the next best thing to a dump bed. I have a Chevy 2500HD with wooden sides that are level with the top of the Cab of the truck and i will fill the whole thing with wet grass and leafs and it unloads it great. Buttttt If you get a lot of wet grass at the front of the bed it will wedge itself in front of the wheel wells and then you have to do some shoveling or a heavy duty back pack blower with a hoodie and a pare of jeans (It gets veryyyy messy with the back pack blower). But it is totally worth the money and get the heavy duty version and it will save you alotttt of shoveling. Also good for mulch, rock, brush, and logs. hope it helps guys!!

Tsklandscaping
02-26-2013, 08:59 PM
thanks
alex
You need to buy a Load handler, it is the next best thing to a dump bed. I have a Chevy 2500HD with wooden sides that are level with the top of the Cab of the truck and i will fill the whole thing with wet grass and leafs and it unloads it great. Buttttt If you get a lot of wet grass at the front of the bed it will wedge itself in front of the wheel wells and then you have to do some shoveling or a heavy duty back pack blower with a hoodie and a pare of jeans (It gets veryyyy messy with the back pack blower). But it is totally worth the money and get the heavy duty version and it will save you alotttt of shoveling. Also good for mulch, rock, brush, and logs. hope it helps guys!!

orangemower
02-28-2013, 07:11 AM
i don't cut in the rain either but there are times when the morning dew makes things wet. when side discharging or even bagging sometimes clumps are present and a second pass is required or you go around the whole yard with a blower.

we cut at the height of 3" or higher. weekly in most cases. sometimes more than weekly. we try to avoid bi weekly at all cost.

and yes there is a difference between leaving clippings around vs. clumps. side discharging alone leaves clippings around, but they will turn into food for the turf. clumps will kill whats under it and be present until at least the next service sometimes longer depending on if you leave it there and how large it is.

You hired a employee?

yardguy28
03-01-2013, 02:50 PM
You hired a employee?

sorry, habit from talking with clients. I've always referred to solo business as we when talking with clients or potential clients.

a tip an old friend told me when I first started in business.