PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Snow

tadpole
02-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Forgive me for intruding on your forum. I am usually over at the Pond forum, but all of the huge snowfalls that you guys have had raised a question in my mind.

I know that many, if not all, of you perform snow removal services. And I assume that most of it is on an annual contract basis. My question is how you are handling the extra work financially. Has the additional costs put a major dent in the bottom line and are you going to renegotiate your contracts to provide better fiscal protection in the future?

White Gardens
02-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Forgive me for intruding on your forum. I am usually over at the Pond forum, but all of the huge snowfalls that you guys have had raised a question in my mind.

I know that many, if not all, of you perform snow removal services. And I assume that most of it is on an annual contract basis. My question is how you are handling the extra work financially. Has the additional costs put a major dent in the bottom line and are you going to renegotiate your contracts to provide better fiscal protection in the future?

The thing about snow is who gets screwed. Either you do when there is no snow in a winter, or your customers do when there is.

I charge per push, or per occurrence. This way everyone wins. I pulled a bigger parking lot this year and instead of charging per season, I gave them a high and low for the year, asked what they had to spend for the season, and set up the contract to charge per occurrence.

If I would have had to do the job for a seasonal price, then I would have been out at least 3K. So they get the service and I'm not out money and in a position to keep the contract for next year.

DVS Hardscaper
02-26-2010, 11:15 PM
We got back into snow work this year.

LOL - I drove around and found commercial properties that appeared to have received crappy service and I called them and said "I see your lot is in really bad shape, would you be interested in having us come in and clean it up?"

Home Run! I landed a few snow contracts!

Performed for a decent hourly rate via skid steers. So no trucks with overheated transmission, bent frames, body panel damage, etc!