PDA

View Full Version : Grooves in Grass from Mower

nr3832
02-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Im trying to hammer out some problems ive been having with my lawn company so any help from yall would be greatly appreciated. My main problem right now is that there is an indention in the grass from my mower when i mower around the flower beds and such. Any user friendly ideas on how to make the grade even again and are there any ways to avoid this problem in the future? Thanks.

fl-landscapes
02-26-2010, 04:34 PM
The ground is obviously compacting where the weight of the tire is going over the same area repeatedly. If you have a second mower with a different size deck and tire spacing switch off between mowings. Otherwise line trim the area instead of running your tires over the same spots. Aerate it to alleviate some of the compaction.

nr3832
02-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Im quite new to the profession, could you elaborate some on line trimming?

grassman177
02-26-2010, 05:14 PM
he means trim out farther so you change the path of the mower. when you get those spots, change the path and tim a bit more. alternate this from time to time and you wil help out tremendously

kjslawn
02-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Aerate those tire lines. Up one line down the other this always helps me. When mowing I checker board one yr the next yr go diagnal. I hate it when I see a lazy cutter just do the same thing yr after yr and the yard looks like ski mougals.

tyler_mott85
02-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Never circle a tree with your mower to begin with. This prevents the indention around the tree to begin with.

Landscraper1
02-26-2010, 08:39 PM
You should alternate cutting patterns weekly not yearly.

kjslawn
02-27-2010, 11:20 PM
I do one but I checker it one yr and diamond it the next yr

MowinginEureka
02-28-2010, 04:20 AM
I myself have been having this problem at a few yards... Aerate the lines eh? How would that help the lines? I mow in different directions (horizontal, vertical, diagonal) move my mower over, but the problem is here that its so stinkin wet, it happens. A lot of times some of the yards are so oddly shaped, you really cant mow in more than one direction without making even MORE ruts or marks. A couple of my yards were already so bad when I took over that on anything higher than second gear...your mower bounces a bit, and 3rd gear...forget about it!

Richard Martin
02-28-2010, 04:33 AM
You can also take a 21" mower and make a quick pass down and back next to the bed. That way the ZTR never even gets into that area. Does it take a couple of extra minutes? Yes. But if you want to say you're one of the best it's what you have to do.

Turf Dawg
02-28-2010, 08:41 AM
You can also take a 21" mower and make a quick pass down and back next to the bed. That way the ZTR never even gets into that area. Does it take a couple of extra minutes? Yes. But if you want to say you're one of the best it's what you have to do.

I agree. The problem with the first/outside pass is that there is really no way to change your tire positioning, so the only thing left to do is use a smaller lighter mower. After the first pass you can always go between your tire marks or change direction.

CrazyBlonde
02-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Im quite new to the profession, could you elaborate some on line trimming?

He is referring to a weed eater. It has a nylon piece of line that spins real fast and whacks off the top of the blades of grass.

tyler_mott85
02-28-2010, 02:57 PM
A lot of times some of the yards are so oddly shaped, you really cant mow in more than one direction without making even MORE ruts or marks. A couple of my yards were already so bad when I took over that on anything higher than second gear...your mower bounces a bit, and 3rd gear...forget about it!

You need to use a smaller mower if you can't get more than one mowing pattern into a yard.:usflag:

MowinginEureka
03-01-2010, 12:53 AM
A few of my yards are REALLY small. I use my 21 inch mowers at 95 percent of my yards. They usually have some long narrow strips, usually about 8 foot wide by 30 foot long. They are so wet that if you try to mow it widthwise instead of lengthways, you end up marking the grass because of all the unnecessary turns. I wish I had a mower lighter than my 21 inchers, I have thought of getting an HRX plastic deck mower.

Turf Dawg
03-01-2010, 10:33 AM
I have a Honda HRX 217 and it is pretty heavy. When the ground is soft, like it is now, I use my Toro SR4 because it is a lot lighter. I will say that if the ground is so soft, like some of ours is right now, that a 21 will leave marks then I will not mow because that is just too wet.

mysteryman
03-01-2010, 01:20 PM
A few of my yards are REALLY small. I use my 21 inch mowers at 95 percent of my yards. They usually have some long narrow strips, usually about 8 foot wide by 30 foot long. They are so wet that if you try to mow it widthwise instead of lengthways, you end up marking the grass because of all the unnecessary turns. I wish I had a mower lighter than my 21 inchers, I have thought of getting an HRX plastic deck mower.

You need a HOVER MOWER, http://www.hovermower.com/

CrazyBlonde
03-01-2010, 01:38 PM
You need a HOVER MOWER, http://www.hovermower.com/

:cool2:Now THAT is COOL!!!:cool2:

MowinginEureka
03-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Lol, heard of those. But it says DRY grass for a reason, I heard the prob from a friend locally with using those in wet conditions is they bog in wet grass, get clogged, and get too heavy and scalp or get stuck. No grass collection system, just a mulcher mower.

mysteryman
03-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Check this out, page A12 of the NORTH edition of the February 2010 TURF MAGAZINE that I received today, an advertisement for an ALLEN HOVER MOWER. "...designed for mowing on slopes, drainage ditches, pond banks, hillsides and SOGGY or WET AREAS" There you go, the 'perfect mower' for your situation.

Darryl G
03-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Did y'all catch that these are problems with his/her lawn company. It's a common problem. Most cutters run the same path around the house and driveway and other obstacles every week, even if they alternate their mowing pattern on the rest of the lawn. You folks are right about how to prevent it. My preferred method is to just move out a bit and hit it with the trimmer rather than grab my 21 inch mower. The size of my lawns and budget considerations just don't lend themselves to that possibility in most cases.

FourTrees
03-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Im trying to hammer out some problems ive been having with my lawn company so any help from yall would be greatly appreciated. My main problem right now is that there is an indention in the grass from my mower when i mower around the flower beds and such. Any user friendly ideas on how to make the grade even again and are there any ways to avoid this problem in the future? Thanks.

Even in really small areas the biggest thing is to not continually run tire through the same rut each week.

(I know this was already mentioned, I just though as you are new more detail might help.)

As you are trimming the edge of the tree ring or flower bed trim at varying distances each week. On week string trim out 6 inches, the next a foot. Practice getting grass at mower level with your trimmer. What you wnat to accomplish is that every week your mower tire should not be following the path it followed the week before.

Many guys will even trim/mow with trimmer tiny areas that make mowing without rutting nearly impossible. Takes some practice, but can be done very nicely.

In the instance that the ground is always soggy in that area, then adjustments to sprinklers, day you are mowing, time of day you are mowing, etc need to be adjusted.

Try and get you clients watering schedule to match your mowing schedule. I take care of most of my clients sprinkler systems so I just make these adjustments myself. Even if the client is one that takes care of thier own system, I will coordinated mowing and watering with them to avoid any problems with ruts.

jasontimm
03-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Just drive really fast...it wont give the tires a chance to cause compaction:laugh::cool2:

Vogel-Landscaping
03-02-2010, 11:53 PM
lol def alternate weekly!!!!