PDA

View Full Version : Training Videos

Landscraper1
02-26-2010, 04:29 PM
I was looking to get some training videos for my new employees to watch before starting to work for me. Just thought it would be a good way for them to have a good idea of what they are expected to do. Also, make it a little easier for the foreman to train them on the job?
Something I can either purchase or download. Thanks.:waving:

JosephLawnCare
02-26-2010, 05:13 PM
YouTube might have something
Posted via Mobile Device

AndyTblc
02-26-2010, 06:25 PM
I think the videos would be an idea, the only problem I see is that, with me, I'm a hands on learner. If I"m going to learn something it has to be shown to me, but I don't "really" learn till I'm out and doing it or somebody showing me in person. Videos would probably be a good idea as long as they are that type of learner.

Landscraper1
02-26-2010, 08:14 PM
I think the videos would be an idea, the only problem I see is that, with me, I'm a hands on learner. If I"m going to learn something it has to be shown to me, but I don't "really" learn till I'm out and doing it or somebody showing me in person. Videos would probably be a good idea as long as they are that type of learner.

Yes, I know exactly what you are saying. Myself and most of my men are the same way. I just think it wouldn't hurt for them to watch something that goes through the basics. Also for them to know what safety procedures to take with each piece of equipment.
This will also relieve some liability on the company in case of an accident. An employee would not be able to say that he wasn't warned of something. I would have them watch the videos then, sign a paper stating that.
After that process , they would go out with a crew and be trained by a crew foreman.
It couldn't hurt.:cool2:

AndyTblc
02-26-2010, 08:25 PM
It couldn't hurt. When I first started at a company I worked for for 3 weeks this past July, I had to read threw the "handbook", and then the foremen went threw it with me, he basically read threw it again (the foremen was hired as a 'friend', he had NEVER EVER mowed a lawn or plowed snow in his life, and he was hire last January, the other employees do not like working with him, I hated it, he was TO picky, couldn't manage time very well, and the other employees WILL NOT go around him when he is plowing snow, he has a front blade and a back blade and they feel he is to dangerous to be around).
Enough ranting about that company.

Landscraper1
09-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Never got any suggestions. Hoping something good out there, 3 years later.

jsf343
09-11-2013, 06:15 PM
just sent you a PM that will hopefully help you.

Jeff

grassmasterswilson
09-12-2013, 06:45 AM
I was thinking about training as I have just lost a guy and may need to replace him.

A video might be something you would need to create yourself since we all have different methods.

I was thinking of creating a checklist of what each job (mower, trimmer, blower, etc) was suppose to check for when performing their duty.

I also considered just taking the new guy around to a few small lawns and watch me do them so he i could show and explain what I was doing.

As a new full time employer a good detail oriented guy is worth his weight in goal I. Our business, so if you find one keep him and treat him well!!