PDA

View Full Version : Good time to do aeration?

Snapper Pro
02-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Guys I have a newly started centipede lawn that's not fully established.Should i aerate it this spring or is the fall a better time after it is pretty much established this year?

Vogel-Landscaping
02-26-2010, 11:43 PM
aerate and seed in the fall for best results. :cool2:

Deltacare, LLC
02-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Warm season turf (ie Centipede) should be aerated in the growing season or just prior to. Aerating in the fall is OK, but will not have any benefit. May actually harm the grasses ability to protect itself through a cold winter depending on exact conditions. If you are seeding Centipede you should do that early Spring once the grass has greened up.

New2TheGreenIndustry
02-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Warm season turf (ie Centipede) should be aerated in the growing season or just prior to. Aerating in the fall is OK, but will not have any benefit. May actually harm the grasses ability to protect itself through a cold winter depending on exact conditions. If you are seeding Centipede you should do that early Spring once the grass has greened up.

Warm season turf is in full swing at 80-95 degrees, and cool season turf between 60-75. You will want to aerate when the grass is actively growing.

Snapper Pro
02-28-2010, 01:19 AM
Thanks guys I figured that it was best when it was actively growing just wonted some feed back.

Shipshape
03-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Soil types also come into play. Clay based soils may need two times per year where sandy soil would only need one.