PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Z-cutters

Jr.'s Lawncare
02-27-2010, 01:42 AM
What are some top names for diesel Z-cutters?

T-Made
02-27-2010, 11:03 AM
I run Toro Z's with Kubota Diesel. Excellent power , torque and fuel efficiency. A little too heavy in wet conditions or too big for small yards. If you have bigger properties--parks, estates, etc... where you mow for hours at a time the diesel mowers pay off. If your mainly residential I would stick with gas engines- less expensive up front and weighs less.

ramcat
02-27-2010, 08:14 PM
john deere makes a great diesel model, the 997, i think it is the best selling diesel zero turn of all time if im not mistaken, but bad boy, scag, exmark, dixie chopper, hustler, walker, and ferris i know make them too

MONTE
02-27-2010, 08:24 PM
When did john deere get that title? I can count on one hand how many of them are used around here.

rcslawncare
02-27-2010, 08:44 PM
JD's 997 is great, the Toro with the Kabota is another good one.Hustler looks like they have an nice one, but haven't ever ran a hustler diesel.

clydebusa
02-27-2010, 08:46 PM
When did john deere get that title? I can count on one hand how many of them are used around here.

Web site
http://www.the-lawn-advisor.com/John-Deere-Zero-Turn-Mower.html

rcslawncare
02-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Although those 900s are a different class from the 997, still, the JD diesel is a great contender with any other ZTr on the market, once the 900 is out for a year, the same will be said after the dissatisfaction from some of the 800s.

ALC-GregH
02-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Am I seeing that right? Jr's been a member for over 3 years and his first post is asking what the top names are in diesel ztr's.

S L C
02-27-2010, 11:45 PM
Am I seeing that right? Jr's been a member for over 3 years and his first post is asking what the top names are in diesel ztr's.

Why does that really matter? Maybe he reads alot... wth :weightlifter::waving:

DLCS
02-27-2010, 11:54 PM

So, whats your point? Maybe he would rather read than talk about something he knows nothing about?

DLCS
02-27-2010, 11:58 PM
I love my 997, my 757's will be replaced with 997's next year.

ramcat
02-28-2010, 12:24 AM
the 997 i read on this forum is the best selling diesel ztr of all time....i can believe this because the specific 997 model has been around for a long time whereas say kubota changes their model from a zd28 to zd26 after a few years and the number of units sold is back to zero.....either way the 997 is considered by many to be one of the most well put together machines if you need a diesel. i have read many forums and hear guys saying that they've "tried them all" and the 997 is their favorite....i myself have tried one and it was very impressive.....look at the review(s) for it on compacttractorreview.com

DLCS
02-28-2010, 12:38 AM
the 997 i read on this forum is the best selling diesel ztr of all time....i can believe this because the specific 997 model has been around for a long time whereas say kubota changes their model from a zd28 to zd26 after a few years and the number of units sold is back to zero.....either way the 997 is considered by many to be one of the most well put together machines if you need a diesel. i have read many forums and hear guys saying that they've "tried them all" and the 997 is their favorite....i myself have tried one and it was very impressive.....look at the review(s) for it on compacttractorreview.com

Like I said, I love mine. Fuel comsumption is just under a gallon per hour. The 850a that this machine replaced burned over a 1.5 gallons per hour. The new 950 and 960 JD ztrs are not that much less in price than the 997 and they weigh almost as much as the 997. Great machine.

grassman177
02-28-2010, 01:21 AM
what the heck are you trying to say about the kubotas. ?/ we have and own many and love them, super tough for what a diesel should be mowing. the 326 is a beast and very dependable. i am an avid JD hater, i go orange. but i will give credit to one thing on the JD, the 7 iron II deck is one of the best i have seen, it cuts in the damn rain around here without clumping, that is impressive!

B&M
02-28-2010, 01:36 AM
Kubota, Grasshopper, Hustler and Badboy all have diesel models. At one time Snapper did have a diesel model. One thing to think about is parts, if you buy a machine with a kubota motor will your dealer have parts for the motor or will you have to go to the kubota dealer in your area for your engine parts? (oil filters, air filters, etc). By the way I'm a "bota" fan myself.

ricky86
02-28-2010, 01:57 AM
What are some top names for diesel Z-cutters?

Are you considering a purchase of a diesel Z ?

ALC-GregH
02-28-2010, 10:00 AM
So, whats your point? Maybe he would rather read than talk about something he knows nothing about?

He's had 3+ years to read. Maybe he signed up back then and never came back. It just seems weird to be a member of a forum for that long and NOT have read about what he's asking or even make a post. If I was in the market for a new mower. I KNOW I wouldn't come on here and ask, "what's the best diesel mower out there". I'd read up on all of them and do some research.

Mowingman
02-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Grasshopper is the king of diesel ZTR'S. They have been for about 30 years.
Grasshopper has more diesel models then anyone else, and has way more experience building diesel ZTR's.
Toro would probably be number 2 and Dixie Chopper is #3. Kubota is trying to catch up, so put them in #4 spot.
For all the other ZTR manufacturers, the diesel is just an evil necessity. They have to build them to compete, but do not have much to offer.

SouthSide Cutter
02-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Ran A TT with Cat diesel last week way to heavy to put in any yard as are most ZTR diesels. The Grasshopper would be the only diesel I would buy because the front deck doesnt have the weight on it. Just cant see the cost and the weight unless you mow some pretty big acreage. They are good machines and outlast a gas in most cases but what good is the mower with a good mtr and everything else is shot. And I have had diesels!!!

ALC-GregH
02-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Ran A TT with Cat diesel last week way to heavy to put in any yard as are most ZTR diesels. The Grasshopper would be the only diesel I would buy because the front deck doesnt have the weight on it. Just cant see the cost and the weight unless you mow some pretty big acreage. They are good machines and outlast a gas in most cases but what good is the mower with a good mtr and everything else is shot. And I have had diesels!!!

I'll agree with this. I've demoed Grasshopper mowers before. They do have the best diesel platform of all the others, IMHO.

johnnybravo8802
02-28-2010, 10:33 AM
When you add up all the golf courses, municipalities, etc. JD has had a lot of diesel mowers out there-the front mounts. Toro also. However, I drove a front mount a few years ago and it was the roughest riding machine I've ever been on-wouldn't have it. Now, I do know were talking about mid mounts but I was just referring to number of units in the field. Personally, I own a Scag STT with a turbo Daihatsu and am really impressed with the torque and fuel consumption. I do mow wide open rough cut areas though and the weight isn't a factor-mower runs for 12 hrs at a time. If I mow a residential, I use the TT or a WB.

jasontimm
02-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Grasshopper is the king of diesel ZTR'S. They have been for about 30 years.
Grasshopper has more diesel models then anyone else, and has way more experience building diesel ZTR's.
Toro would probably be number 2 and Dixie Chopper is #3. Kubota is trying to catch up, so put them in #4 spot.
For all the other ZTR manufacturers, the diesel is just an evil necessity. They have to build them to compete, but do not have much to offer.

I have a Grasshopper diesel, very very nice, smooth, great cut, love it!!!i run the 61 inch deck, and i can cut with it at 95 percent of my accounts, the John deere 997 is also a great machine, i never bought one because it is such a big machine, and doesnt work in my application, but sure wood look nice in my shop!!

grassman177
02-28-2010, 12:07 PM
i always heard of the grasshopper mid mounts having issues with cooling on the diesels due to bad placement of the radiator.

jasontimm
02-28-2010, 12:22 PM
i always heard of the grasshopper mid mounts having issues with cooling on the diesels due to bad placement of the radiator.

Your right Grassman, but it isnt just the Mids, its the same set up on the front also, the screen for the radiator is behind the seat, so if you mowing in windy conditions wehre the grass is coming back at you, or your in a big dandalion crop with fuzz flying all over it will load up the screen and cause for poor airflow, it IS very important to watch the heat gauge, once you see a little raise in temp, you have to stop and clean the screen off. It can be a problem, but the screen is very easy to get to, and only takes a minute to clean off.