PDA

View Full Version : Grass seed

Andre's Lawn Care
02-27-2010, 02:07 AM
Hey guys, im starting up a lawn care service, and im wondering were to buy grass seed, (not from home depot) im in NJ. Even if ur not from around here, how could i find were to go or what to look up? please help me.

lawns Etc
02-27-2010, 02:14 AM
Hey guys, im starting up a lawn care service, and im wondering were to buy grass seed, (not from home depot) im in NJ. Even if ur not from around here, how could i find were to go or what to look up? please help me.
Go to your closest John Deere Landsdcapes or a farm supply
Posted via Mobile Device

lawns Etc
02-27-2010, 02:19 AM
Go to your closest John Deere Landsdcapes or a farm supply
Posted via Mobile Device
In Nj also you are required to have a nj home improvement contractors license to put down seed and even mulch. Don't even attempt to use weed killers without a pest license the DEP doesn't play
Posted via Mobile Device

hornett22
02-27-2010, 02:34 AM
i've had the best luck with Lesco seed or Scott's

Merkava_4
02-27-2010, 02:42 AM
In Nj also you are required to have a nj home improvement contractors license to put down seed and even mulch. Don't even attempt to use weed killers without a pest license the DEP doesn't play
Posted via Mobile Device

You're kidding right? You have to have a contractor's license
to lay down seed and they won't let you pump your own gas either? :dizzy:

topsites
02-27-2010, 02:55 AM
You're kidding right? You have to have a contractor's license
to lay down seed and they won't let you pump your own gas either? :dizzy:

I would recommend checking into the requirements for such a license,
I'm sure the regulations vary from state to state but just for example
in some states any contract over a thousand dollars requires one.

That having been said, I don't think you'd need a contractor's license for dropping an 80 dollar bag of seed thou.

IN2MOWN
02-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Got to a nursey.

And if you need a license to put seed or mulch down I suggest you move out of that state.

ALC-GregH
02-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I would recommend checking into the requirements for such a license,
I'm sure the regulations vary from state to state but just for example
in some states any contract over a thousand dollars requires one.

That having been said, I don't think you'd need a contractor's license for dropping an 80 dollar bag of seed thou.

TS, Lawns ETC. LIVES in NJ. I'm sure he knows whether a contractor's license is required to put seed down. Yeah it's stupid to require that but according to him, it is.

IN2MOWN
02-27-2010, 09:52 AM
TS, Lawns ETC. LIVES in NJ. I'm sure he knows whether a contractor's license is required to put seed down. Yeah it's stupid to require that but according to him, it is.

Per the New Jersey contractor website:

Any remodeling, altering, painting, repairing, renovating, restoring, moving, demolishing, or modernizing of a residential structure is considered home improvement work. This includes work on the following:driveways garages
sidewalks basements and basement waterproofing
swimming pools fire protection devices
terraces security protection devices
patios central heating and air conditioning equipment
landscaping water softeners
fences heaters
porches purifiers
windows solar heating or water systems
doors insulation installation
cabinets aluminum siding
kitchens wall-to-wall carpeting
bathrooms attached or inlaid floor coverings

ALC-GregH
02-27-2010, 10:08 AM
in2mow, what's your motive?

IN2MOWN
02-27-2010, 10:19 AM
in2mow, what's your motive?

Odd question...

My motive for posting that was to show what in the state of NJ you need a contractors license for. It appears you do need one for mulch because that would fall under landscaping.

Although I would make a case that grass seed does NOT fall under landscaping.

Whats your motive?

ALC-GregH
02-27-2010, 10:32 AM
I have none. I was quoting Lawns etc. on the laws in his state. He lives there so I'm sure he knows whether or not you need a contractor's license to put seed down. Is it stupid to have to have a license to do so? Yes it is. I have to pay for a piece of paper that says I can plant a flower on someone elses property. Just as stupid.

LarryF
02-27-2010, 10:59 AM

The Lesco/JohnDeere nearest to you is
Store #571

6 Industrial Way W
Eatontown, NJ 07724-2268
732 542 8100
sls571@johndeerelandscapes.com

Andre's Lawn Care
02-27-2010, 10:07 PM
thank you every body, for this info, nd im only sixteen right now so i cant get any license yet that i know of, but i know for the future now. and in a broad perspective of this, what other license might u need, im aware of needing to become an LLC, getting a commercial applicators license, this contractors license that im going to look further into. what other "odd" license might some one need?

lawns Etc
02-28-2010, 12:11 AM
thank you every body, for this info, nd im only sixteen right now so i cant get any license yet that i know of, but i know for the future now. and in a broad perspective of this, what other license might u need, im aware of needing to become an LLC, getting a commercial applicators license, this contractors license that im going to look further into. what other "odd" license might some one need?
You definately need the Home Improvement Contractors License to seed,sod,mulch,stone or any permanent install. Yes its BS but its NJ. You don't need to be a LLC talk to an accountant and see what they recomend for your situation. I have never been checked for my HIC lic but the DEP usually stops me several times a year for pest. The purpose of the contractors license is to make sure that you have at least 500k in liab ins You have to renew with proof of ins every year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Andre's Lawn Care
02-28-2010, 12:56 PM
alright, thanks for the information