PDA

View Full Version : 2010 demographics

Mike M
02-27-2010, 08:36 PM
re: lighting 2010.

Your opinions... Reasonable go-to numbers for demographics (e.g. postcard mailings)?

Salary above: ??
House values above: ??

I'm thinking $750,000 as a base for home value in my market.

Thanks!

extlights
02-27-2010, 09:58 PM
We do 125/350 at 2 locations and 150/500 at the other. We used to do higher, but lowered the numbers years ago and noticed a huge difference in return.

Mike M
02-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Dave, Thanks.

Those numbers seem low, must be regional. In SC I couldn't pre-qualify lighting for homes under 650,000. I'm in AK now, and home valuations are still very high here.

Lots and lots of homes in the 350-450k range, too many for sending full-color cards.

TXNSLighting
02-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Dave, Thanks.

Those numbers seem low, must be regional. In SC I couldn't pre-qualify lighting for homes under 650,000. I'm in AK now, and home valuations are still very high here.

Lots and lots of homes in the 350-450k range, too many for sending full-color cards.

Yeh i noticed in North carolina $600k houses are $350-400k houses here.

extlights
02-28-2010, 01:28 AM
In our location a 350-400k home isn't huge by any means. However over the years we've learned that just because someone lives in a 750K on up home doesn't necessarily mean that they have the extra money to spend on something like lighting. We've done many 20 light projects on a 2 million dollar homes and 40-50 light projects on 400-600K homes. Sometimes it just seems like a lot of people are house poor. We just market our services to all of them and see what happens.

Lite4
02-28-2010, 05:38 AM
Dave, Thanks.

Guy goes to Alaska to teach English to Eskimoes and stumbles on Yukon gold. Whoada thunk it? :clapping:

How are you holding up to that cold Mike? Good to hear from you again.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-28-2010, 10:17 AM
I have never done a direct mail or door hanger campaign but I have some experience in marketing and selling this business successfully. I think that targeting an advertising campaign based solely upon the value of homes in any given area is pretty arbitrary means of selection. Just because one area of homes is valued higher than another area says nothing of the needs or motivations of the owners of those homes. You need to do more demographic analysis than this. Either hire a professional direct marketing company to manage your campaign, or get yourself over to the USPS and make the best use of the demographic and geographic marketing materials they will provide you with. (Here in Canada, our Postal Service is an excellent source of information, census data, and direct mail marketing campaigns... I would assume the USPS is just as helpful and competitive)

In the grand scheme of things, I think direct/targeted mail marketing is an expensive and highly ineffective way to sell outdoor lighting systems. Our work is not easily communicated in print, and the response rates to such campaigns are very low. Why not take the budget you are going to spend on this traditional marketing campaign and do something REMARKABLE instead. Put your product and service into the realm of experience of your target market.

Mike M
02-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Tim, I haven't found any gold yet, but I haven't started prospecting. :)

The cost of entry to this market would be the postcards. Direct mail can also be used as an instrument to test the waters.

With Dave's point, I can see the value in looking at salary. I didn't do that in SC because of all the retirees.

James, I'll look online for uspo direct mail info, thx.

extlights
02-28-2010, 11:55 AM
I have never done a direct mail or door hanger campaign but I have some experience in marketing and selling this business successfully. I think that targeting an advertising campaign based solely upon the value of homes in any given area is pretty arbitrary means of selection. Just because one area of homes is valued higher than another area says nothing of the needs or motivations of the owners of those homes. You need to do more demographic analysis than this. Either hire a professional direct marketing company to manage your campaign, or get yourself over to the USPS and make the best use of the demographic and geographic marketing materials they will provide you with. (Here in Canada, our Postal Service is an excellent source of information, census data, and direct mail marketing campaigns... I would assume the USPS is just as helpful and competitive)

In the grand scheme of things, I think direct/targeted mail marketing is an expensive and highly ineffective way to sell outdoor lighting systems. Our work is not easily communicated in print, and the response rates to such campaigns are very low. Why not take the budget you are going to spend on this traditional marketing campaign and do something REMARKABLE instead. Put your product and service into the realm of experience of your target market.

I don't think anyone here bases their marketing campaigns solely on home value. Everyone knows that just because someone lives in an expensive home doesn't always mean that they have extra money...For instance someone could live in a 750k home but is retired. They may no longer have the income that they once had and might cut back on expensive purchases such as lighting.