PDA

View Full Version : Grease?

carguyrob
02-27-2010, 09:45 PM
What kind of grease do you guys use for your mowers? Also is there a good place online to buy a case of cartridges? All the major manufacturers claim to have the best, just wondering what you guys have had good luck with. Thanks!

EastCoast
02-27-2010, 09:51 PM
I use Lucas Oil Products Red 'N' Tacky Grease for all of my machines needs mowers, snow blowers etc..... it's expensive, but never had any issues.

a_mow_zing
02-27-2010, 09:52 PM
What kind of grease do you guys use for your mowers? Also is there a good place online to buy a case of cartridges? All the major manufacturers claim to have the best, just wondering what you guys have had good luck with. Thanks!

To me, grease is grease, pretty much. I am sure that somebody will be along shortly to give you a better answer. Buy by grease by the case at the local auto store. I do buy hi temp grease though, that way you dont need different guns for high temp applications, as I use grease on other stuff.

South Florida Lawns
02-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Mobile 1!!!!!!!!!!!

theheisk
02-27-2010, 11:22 PM
just my preference but I use Mystic. Got a friend with a logging company and he swares buy it...and he is ruff and I mean ruff on equipment!
Posted via Mobile Device

a_mow_zing
02-27-2010, 11:41 PM
just my preference but I use Mystic. Got a friend with a logging company and he swares buy it...and he is ruff and I mean ruff on equipment!
Posted via Mobile Device

I believe mystic is rebadged other stuff and then later rebadged as other stuff. Like I said, i think its mostly all the same.

65hoss
02-28-2010, 01:42 AM
After all these years of full time mowing and running a good bit of hours on machines, I have come to the point that NAPA grease is excellent for our application. I have a plugr aerator that is on its 9th season and its had Napa grease only since 2006. Mowers, tractor, trucks, whatever all have the regular old Napa with great success since 2006. I spent countless $$ all the years before on synthetics and semi-synthetics, but not anymore.

DLCS
02-28-2010, 01:50 AM
Type and brand is not as important as the frequency. Just regularly kepp them greased and you will be fine. The only time I worry about which type of grease i use is for wheel bearings and there I only use waterproof wheel bearing grease.

RCSindiana
02-28-2010, 02:02 AM
I agree cheap grease is better than no grease. I use Lucas also.

carguyrob
02-28-2010, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the help guys, 65hoss do you like the plugr aerator? Was looking into one for this season.

TheOctagon
02-28-2010, 02:11 AM
I have really become a fan of grease w/ moly. It fills the wear marks and creates a barrier. Texas refinery probably has the best grease but i use the more readily available Schaeffers brand. very good stuff i also use their oil w/ the same moly complex. I would recommend it to anyone.

65hoss
02-28-2010, 02:20 AM
Thanks for the help guys, 65hoss do you like the plugr aerator? Was looking into one for this season.

Bought my 1st Plugr in 2000, and my 2nd in 2002. I sold 1 to CaptKen about 4 seasons ago and he is still using it. I still run mine for fescue in spring and fall and summer aerating. Its about to start its 9th season in about 2 weeks. The job it does is great.

carguyrob
02-28-2010, 02:24 AM
Good deal, hope I can find one for the right price.

Richard Martin
02-28-2010, 05:02 AM
There are 2 rules that I stick to (pun intended ha ha) with grease.

1: Never buy more grease than you can use in a few months. Grease is nothing more than oil suspended in a thickening agent. If it sits too long the oil starts to run out. If you go to the store and the top of the tube is dusty or the tube has an oily residue then don't buy it. It has gone past it's prime and the oil is starting to separate. If you get a tube of grease that doesn't seem to want to pump correctly then ditch the grease. It's past it's prime. Someone may have wiped the tube off and stuck it back on the shelf.

2: Don't mix types of greases without cleaning all of the old grease out first. Different types of greases don't mix well and if you mix them you will not get maximum protection.

Have you ever wondered why some people have trouble with bearings despite the fact that they may grease on a regular basis? Even with Extreme Pressure grease! READ THIS before you buy any more grease. It will enlighten you and you can purchase the correct grease. http://www.reliabilityweb.com/art04/understanding_grease.htm

BTW, I used NAPA lithium based grease.

SouthSide Cutter
02-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Dont let anybody tell you oil is oil and grease is grease. There is a difference. Anybody that has seen a race mtr apart and been run on diff oils, and any shaft that has been on diff grease knows there is a big diff. And if you think ANY winning team in Nascar,Indy Car, Formula 1 or any top sport just walks over to Wal-Mart and buys the Tech stuff your on drugs. I run the green Lucas, it aint cheap but never have had spindle or bearing failure.

Scagmower48
02-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Dont let anybody tell you oil is oil and grease is grease. There is a difference. Anybody that has seen a race mtr apart and been run on diff oils, and any shaft that has been on diff grease knows there is a big diff. And if you think ANY winning team in Nascar,Indy Car, Formula 1 or any top sport just walks over to Wal-Mart and buys the Tech stuff your on drugs. I run the green Lucas, it aint cheap but never have had spindle or bearing failure.

The Green Lucas is called Lucas Xtra Heavy Duty. I use it on my mahines as well.

IN2MOWN
02-28-2010, 10:12 AM

Little dramatic dont you think? We are talking about zerts on mowers not race cars.

Grease is grease when it comes to what we are using it for. No reason at all to go out and spend 6 or 7 dollars on a tube when you can get the same thing for 2 bucks.

SouthSide Cutter
02-28-2010, 10:49 AM
No cause there is a reason its 2 bucks. And most people think Stihl or Echo makes their own oil. My 250 Yamaha was suppose to run on Yamalube got a case of it and inside it was Citgo, quit buying that chit because of that jerk that owns Citgo. What I trying to say the 2 buck stuff is just grease or something thats meets the requirments no more. Most all oils are made by a few companys and to their spects. You let the cheap stuff sit on your shelf and it will leak over time and not very long either. The good stuff wont do that. The Citgo always leaked and also leaks out of the gun on the trailer since switching to Lucas it doesnt do that anymore.

IN2MOWN
02-28-2010, 10:55 AM
No cause there is a reason its 2 bucks. And most people think Stihl or Echo makes their own oil. My 250 Yamaha was suppose to run on Yamalube got a case of it and inside it was Citgo, quit buying that chit because of that jerk that owns Citgo. What I trying to say the 2 buck stuff is just grease or something thats meets the requirments no more. Most all oils are made by a few companys and to their spects. You let the cheap stuff sit on your shelf and it will leak over time and not very long either. The good stuff wont do that. The Citgo always leaked and also leaks out of the gun on the trailer since switching to Lucas it doesnt do that anymore.

Ok.

Anyway. Grease is grease. Pump it into your zerts every other day and you'll be fine. Again, we are talking about spindles and bearings NOT race cars or motorcycles. In fact most spindles come packed now and cant be greased so all people are greasing are casters and levers.

And if you dont want it to separate then dont buy cases of it at a time. One or two tubes is good enough.

dishboy
02-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Valvoline at Napa is cheap enough and has never separated. I am sure the MOLY or Lithium is adequate for anything on a mower. I believe Napa sources it Napa branded petroleum products from Valvoline.

STIHL GUY
02-28-2010, 01:11 PM
i just use high temp grease and grease my equipment frequently

topsites
02-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Little dramatic dont you think? We are talking about zerts on mowers not race cars.

Grease is grease when it comes to what we are using it for. No reason at all to go out and spend 6 or 7 dollars on a tube when you can get the same thing for 2 bucks.

I'd have to agree, speaking for myself I think it's more important to grease often, like every day on unsealed
bearings and joints because at this point it hardly matters if it's not packed with grease at all times.

It's like on a car that's leaking a lot of oil, little difference is it going to make unless it has oil in it.

Now if you've got sealed bearings such as on some Ztr's, then I suppose special grease might
give some folks a benefit but I don't see it on unsealed joints.

Because I've used synthetic grease and it still results in wear and tear on bushing-related joints,
matter of fact the wear is about the same so the bushings have to be replaced once a year as well,
again regardless of what type of grease I use.

Conversely I've had few greasable bearings go bad because I do grease them often,
on my machines the sealed ungreasable ones go far more often.

I got my grease some years ago for 89 cents a tube, cases of it, haven't seen
that kind of a price since now I guess the oil's separating lol but usually when
my gun doesn't want to squirt it's as likely a problem with the gun.

JimQ
02-28-2010, 05:13 PM

I'm with you. I like a Lithium Complex based grease.

In my opinion, it's worth putting a good grease in your spindles. Heck, they spin at several thousand RPM. (for example, 3000 - 3500 RPM for a 60" deck). The RPM's go up on smaller decks.

And, if you've got it in the gun for the spindles, might as well shoot it in everything else.

More good grease info -

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55&Itemid=63

Q

dave k
02-28-2010, 06:37 PM
For those who use Reel Mowers, I would recommend JD Cornhead grease.

green grass lawn care
02-28-2010, 06:49 PM
well from 13 years on a drilling rig i would have to say the mystic is what i trust. the red mystik jt 6. it is high temp and we hardly ever have problems grease related. our equipment runs for 24 hours a day 7 days a week for months at a time. most zerts are greased once a day. and when a bearing finally gives up the ghost it is because it was in a weird sideways bind not from bad grease. just grease it often. vince

360ci
02-28-2010, 07:11 PM
I use Amsoil synthetic grease. I get a decent price on it as I use Amsoil products on (and in) my vehicles as well as small engine equipment. Tube of it costs me close to $6, which isn't a bad deal in my area. Quaker State and other synthetics run in the $6 range as well, but with Amsoil, I get some cash back in commissions for the volume I buy. I can get standard high pressure grease for $3.99 a tube, but for the couple extra bucks and since I also use the grease on my vehicles, I get the better stuff.

a_mow_zing
02-28-2010, 07:14 PM
question about greasing bearings....I was once told that overgreasing a bearing was just as bad as not greasing it at all, the reason being that too much grease increases the load on the race....make sense to anyone or not? Note, this is on larger equipment, like 2 inch bearings and u joints.

DLCS
02-28-2010, 07:26 PM
question about greasing bearings....I was once told that overgreasing a bearing was just as bad as not greasing it at all, the reason being that too much grease increases the load on the race....make sense to anyone or not? Note, this is on larger equipment, like 2 inch bearings and u joints.

Yep, I only grease my machines once a week and thats the spindles only. Never lost a bearing due to under greasing. I learned about over greasing years ago working with heavy machinery, unless its losing or throwing grease, no need to grease it every day. If you over grease you can actually destroy the seals and cause it to throw the grease. This is oen the reason manufacturers go to sealed bearings.

a_mow_zing
02-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Yep, I only grease my machines once a week and thats the spindles only. Never lost a bearing due to under greasing. I learned about over greasing years ago working with heavy machinery, unless its losing or throwing grease, no need to grease it every day. If you over grease you can actually destroy the seals and cause it to throw the grease. This is oen the reason manufacturers go to sealed bearings.

Yeah, made sense to me too but just was wondering if he was just trying to sell more bearings....Growing up I was taught to grease until it squirted some out the race and seals....

milo
02-28-2010, 11:09 PM
a big problem with over greasing is popping seals. alot of spindles have a weep hole for the grease to come out of and not mess up seals but alot of items dont have a weep hole and if its something with a seal if the seal pops out or weeps out the grease dirt, water and things can get in easy. best is use a high temp and waterproof grease and do like owners manual says

fritowrdo
03-01-2010, 09:12 PM

I 2nd that. My dealer uses the same and recommends it to me as well.