PDA

View Full Version : Planning to purchase New Deere walk behind #7H17 - thoughts?

360ci
02-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Alright. I think I've made up my mind. I have a few Deere dealers in my area, and have had good luck with their equipment in the past, as well as dealer service. I've been checking things out over the last several months and I think I've come to a decision.

I've decided to bite the bullet and get a larger trailer (enclosed 6x12) this May. Money isn't the issue here as I know I'll get the business to cover expenses. If for some reason I don't, well I have tons saved up anyway because I'm a cheap-ol' basturd.

So, this model retails (Canada here folks!) for $6,632 MSRP. I'm sure I'll get a deal on it if I pay cash outright. There is a lesser model, the D15 walk behind but doesn't have the floating deck, along with a couple other less features for the sake of $1500 or so in MSRP. I figure I'll go for the larger unit as I have a few more apartment complexes to mow this year, plus whatever else I can find.

Would a gallon of fuel an hour be a good estimate for a 17HP engine running nonstop?

I'd like to get your thoughts on this 7H17 walk behind. Good bad, ugly, I want to hear about it. I know anything bad probably won't force me away from buying it, but you never know. I did look at other units from Exmark and Toro up close, and with the warranty, decent guys at the dealership here, I can't go wrong to buy Deere, again. It'll be even better if I can get a decent price, under the MSRP!

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GC/servlet/com.deere.u90785.cce.productcatalog.view.servlets.ProdCatProduct?pNbr=0960TC&tM=GC#
http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GC/media/images/product/largerview/7h17_113825_large.jpg

S L C
02-27-2010, 11:23 PM
seems a bit pricey... good luck with that!

Roger
02-28-2010, 07:53 AM
If I was in the market for a 48" w/b, this one would be in the top three to consider. I have a JD 717A with 7 Iron II deck, and it does an excellent job in my area. This deck is the same. Nothing mechanical looks flimsy. I'm sure some would suggest that the handles are not "modern." That would not stop me from putting this on the list, but I'm sure others would discard it immediately in favor of other handle designs.

If you are thinking of adding a sulky, remember that you will need special brackets. The frame at the rear is a large tube. That tube serves as a hydro oil reservoir. The large surface area of the tubular frame provides cooling. But, the tubular frame cannot be drilled. Brackets can be attached externally, but no bolting.

360ci
02-28-2010, 09:20 AM
If I was in the market for a 48" w/b, this one would be in the top three to consider. I have a JD 717A with 7 Iron II deck, and it does an excellent job in my area. This deck is the same. Nothing mechanical looks flimsy. I'm sure some would suggest that the handles are not "modern." That would not stop me from putting this on the list, but I'm sure others would discard it immediately in favor of other handle designs.

If you are thinking of adding a sulky, remember that you will need special brackets. The frame at the rear is a large tube. That tube serves as a hydro oil reservoir. The large surface area of the tubular frame provides cooling. But, the tubular frame cannot be drilled. Brackets can be attached externally, but no bolting.

Thanks for the info!

I know it's a bit pricey, but everything here in Ontario is. A mid-level Deere ZTR would run me close to 18K with taxes here, so a walk behind is a better choice as a ZTR for my needs would be a bit overkill. US (online) pricing for the 7H17 is $6029, which is also a bit high I think, but knowingly I'm sure I'll pay just above $6K for the Canadian model. For the features, I feel it'll last me a good ten years, if not more. The handles are similar to my snow blower, so it works for me. I'm not up on the latest fashions, but for handle design, it works.

If I can make my 6.25hp Craftsman mower last the last 8 years with part-time commercial use, this Deere will more than likely never be replaced!

I inherited a tractor off of a relative (JD), it had to have been a good 15-20 years old then, and I used it for two seasons. The front axle failed before the end of the second season. Cost for repairs was more than what I'd get for it, so I sold it for parts. It's always been parked outside for the winter here, and still started up in the spring like a champ. I thought about getting another ride on (tractor), but the walk behind is less weight, better quality, and 1/3 the cost of a ZTR. Besides, I do need the exercise.

Landscraper1
02-28-2010, 01:05 PM
I looks like you already made up your mind so, why are you asking for opinions? Seems like you would rather learn from your mistakes then, take the advice from others who have been through this already.:confused:
You will thank the posts that agree with you and find a reason to go against those that oppose.

360ci
02-28-2010, 01:22 PM
I looks like you already made up your mind so, why are you asking for opinions? Seems like you would rather learn from your mistakes then, take the advice from others who have been through this already.:confused:
You will thank the posts that agree with you and find a reason to go against those that oppose.

...another one who's bored on a Sunday morning. Yes, for the most part I've made up my mind, but am seeking thoughts irregardless. If you don't want to give any advice or opinions on the matter other than the obvious, go haunt another thread.

mowerbrad
02-28-2010, 01:22 PM
I would have no problem buying a John Deere wb. The 7-iron decks are great, I demoed a quik-trak with the same 7-ironII deck that the wb has, and it was one of the best decks I have tried. I know you will be happy with the cut quality. I've never used a deere wb like that one, but they appear to be pretty solidly built and I think you will be very happy with it.

As far as fuel consumption goes, I would say that around 1 gallon per hour would be about right, it may even be just a little less once the engine gets broken in.

360ci
02-28-2010, 01:26 PM
I would have no problem buying a John Deere wb. The 7-iron decks are great, I demoed a quik-trak with the same 7-ironII deck that the wb has, and it was one of the best decks I have tried. I know you will be happy with the cut quality. I've never used a deere wb like that one, but they appear to be pretty solidly built and I think you will be very happy with it.

As far as fuel consumption goes, I would say that around 1 gallon per hour would be about right, it may even be just a little less once the engine gets broken in.

At least my estimation was right. My old 12hp or so (label was worn off) JD tractor ate quite a bit of fuel, but it was over two decades old. The three gallon tank wouldn't even last me two hours.

Exmark was good at sending me brochures and such, although I never asked for any. Closest dealer for me is well over half hour drive away, JD isn't more than 10min. Exmark is lower priced, but I'm sure I'll get a better long term value out of the JD.

I haven't really looked into the ironII deck much, but a couple so far now have mentioned that it's the better deck to have! I put a call into the dealer, I'm sure it'll take 2-3 weeks for delivery once I order it. I still have a solid two more months of winter yet, and I can't wait for summer!

snowman 2008
03-01-2010, 02:28 PM
You say 18k ? Thats way to much for green paint.
Paul:canadaflag:

360ci
03-01-2010, 05:14 PM
You say 18k ? Thats way to much for green paint.
Paul:canadaflag:

Green, red, blue, whatever colour you want. All the prices are similar for a similarly spec'd piece of equipment here. A basic ZTR with a 13-15hp engine (yes, they come that low) and no options; ie, no suspension seat, no cup holder, foam gripped bars, two blade 36" deck -that kind of stuff still runs $11-13K here. Those models would be OK as a backup unit, but for everyday use, spending the extra $6K is the way to go for a better featured unit.

Us Canadians get HOSED compared to US pricing, even with the dollar at a near 1:1.

Landscraper1
03-01-2010, 11:55 PM
...another one who's bored on a Sunday morning. Yes, for the most part I've made up my mind, but am seeking thoughts irregardless. If you don't want to give any advice or opinions on the matter other than the obvious, go haunt another thread.

Buddy, you just proved my point, about going against those that oppose. I just gave you advice and you completely ignored it. What do you think I meant by "you would rather learn from your mistakes".

It's like if your wife gets a new hair style. She asks you, what do you think? What do you do? Tell her you think, it's a big mistake and start a fight or do you tell her it's great and get a thank you and a kiss. No brainer right. You tell her what she wants to hear.

And by the way, your right on about me being bored. It was Sunday and rainy and windy out. I had nothing better to do.:canadaflag::usflag:

360ci
03-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Buddy, you just proved my point, about going against those that oppose. I just gave you advice and you completely ignored it. What do you think I meant by "you would rather learn from your mistakes".

It's like if your wife gets a new hair style. She asks you, what do you think? What do you do? Tell her you think, it's a big mistake and start a fight or do you tell her it's great and get a thank you and a kiss. No brainer right. You tell her what she wants to hear.

And by the way, your right on about me being bored. It was Sunday and rainy and windy out. I had nothing better to do.:canadaflag::usflag:

I don't lie to my wife. Other people, well maybe in some extreme cases to save an argument but occasionally it's not hard to get most people going. If you want to jump to a false conclusion go right ahead. If I ignored what you said, I wouldn't have quoted anything you said, let alone replied to it.

Weather here is nice today. Lunch is however, almost over. :cry:

mowinginva
03-02-2010, 04:02 PM

We put a Proslide xt on our 7h17. Made a homemade bracket for it.

360ci
03-02-2010, 04:28 PM
We put a Proslide xt on our 7h17. Made a homemade bracket for it.

What's the difference between the stock IronII and this Proslide??

mowinginva
03-02-2010, 04:40 PM
What's the difference between the stock IronII and this Proslide??

A Proslide xt is a platform that you ride on behind the mower, like a sulky.

360ci
03-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Oh OK. So it's the lazy man's way out of walking! Still, it's a good idea! 8+ hours of walking behind a mower does get tiresome. I rarely mow more than 4+ hours at a time, including driving/traveling time. I'd like to condense it all into one and a half days if I can this year. The JD will definitely hasten my production ability to where I can add a few more light commercial clients.

Landscraper1
03-02-2010, 05:28 PM
I just noticed that your from Kitchener. Been by there a few times. I have a first cousin who has a landscaping company, in Cambridge. We visit each other often and talk about our businesses. On thing he has told me many times, is that there is a lot more commercial landscape equipment to choose from here in Ma, than in his area. He loves to come down and see what's new and we talk to each other almost everyday, on the Nextel. So, perhaps, that is why I have a low opinion of John Deere mowers. I own a loader 1050 with a backhoe, which I love. Just the mowers never did well in this area, ever since Bunton stopped making their walkbehinds. I do see a couple of newer guys use them but, I can't think of one company that's been in business for over 5 yrs with one. Has to be a reason.
But overall, the most important factor might be the dealer. If he is really good and stands by what he sells then, that is what matters most. Good Luck with your John Deere.:canadaflag::usflag:

360ci
03-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Commercial equipment is hard to find. It's sad that most of us here can't view a model that we're interested in up close without having to drive a couple hundred miles out of our way - each way!

I'm licensed for small engine repair/maintenance as it's grown into a hobby. I'd still purchase parts from the dealer, and get things serviced there that I just can't do due to capacity/space/lack-of-proper-tool restrictions.

There's an Exmark dealer actually south of Cambridge, a good 45min away if I drive there at night, an hour or more during business hours. I phoned them just before Christmas season and put an inquiry in for one of their Turf Tracers, just to get some base prices and what options were available, if any. Instead of them giving the info I was after, they sent me a DVD in the mail which answered nothing of which I asked. Besides, the same video's shown on this DVD were also available on the website. Right off the bat, I didn't get what I asked for which is a terrible way to start.

It's like the last job interview I had. This guy had the audacity to say "Well I guess since you were in the reserves you don't have a problem taking orders?" I stood up and left. Anywho.

I drove transport for a year and half throughout the US, went to all states except for NM, CA, WI, TX and Rhode Island. I found MA a bit of a drivers nightmare during the rush hour times. I learned quickly that drivers there utilize road shoulders in the event of heavy traffic situations!

I never heard of Bunton, then again, I'm sure I'm a heathen when compared to what we have available for lawn equipment in Ontario to what's available south of the border. I made the mistake of stopping in at a New Holland dealer last fall. The guy tried the sales man pitch routine to buy bigger even after I told him twice what I was after. He tried telling me I "needed" a $22K mower for my part time business needs. I left.

Roger
03-03-2010, 08:28 AM

Just the mowers never did well in this area, ever since Bunton stopped making their walkbehinds. ...

Curious, why Bunton stopping the manufacturing of mowers has anything to do with John Deere mowers not being popular in your area.

Landscraper1
03-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Bunton is still around, just barely. When I first started out in this business, Bunton, John Deere, and Bobcat were the only commercial mowers around. All you saw were walkbehinds and push mowers. My guess is John Deere was a large part of Bunton's business. When JD started manufacturing their own mowers, it must of hurt Bunton, considerably. I think that Ramsomes Bobcat ended up buying Bunton. They look vary simular now.

Landscraper1
03-03-2010, 10:13 AM
My cousin has thought about buying mowers here and taking them over the border. He knows that it would be taxed for it but, the equipment is much more expensive in Canada that it might be worth it.

last year. he found a dealer selling the Wright mowers. He purchased a Sentar and can't beleive the production he is getting out if it. But, he has been looking for a Hustler dealer up there. After he tried my Super Z's here, he's hooked on them.

360ci
03-03-2010, 04:02 PM
My cousin has thought about buying mowers here and taking them over the border. He knows that it would be taxed for it but, the equipment is much more expensive in Canada that it might be worth it.

That's just it. With the dollar at a close 1:1 the cost doesn't justify buying Stateside and transporting it across. Even if you don't drive more than a few hundred miles, that's still $160 or so in fuel there and back. Not to mention 13% sales that that you'll more than likely have to pay before clearing customs. The best way is to get a broker, and work everything through them.

The only downside to a broker is that you have to buy the equipment first, fax them the paperwork on it, and they'll do the customs work for you for a fee (of course), but at least you won't have to wait 4-24 hours at the border. It's also the more professional way to bring things across. This way the customs official knows what's going on and what's been done, instead of you just showing up and showing him/her your receipts. Then the official will ask you to park, and go inside so you can do the required paperwork, make payments, etc. There's generally a line for this!

It's best to go with a broker. I have several numbers for the major brokers for the ports of Buffalo/Port Huron and Detroit if you want them. They should still be current but are going on two years old. I have a list because I had to use a broker when I drove transport a few years back to get loads across.

Landscraper1
03-04-2010, 10:57 AM
That's not a bad idea. I don't think that the gas would be an issue though. He comes down here every other year with his SUV. He would just bring a small trailer with him and bring the mower back to Cambridge at the end of his visit. But, I will mention what you said. It is something to look into.

360ci
03-04-2010, 04:39 PM
My SUV has a 5.9L V8. My last Destin, FL trip I averaged 15.9mpg over 2900miles. If I was towing a tandem trailer I'm sure it would have been in the 10-11mpg range - all highway.

Still, for the whole trip it only cost me around $550 in fuel. US prices were utterly fantastic (as always), at around $0.66/L on average for 91 octane! Up here, it's over $1/L

jnrogers
03-04-2010, 07:55 PM
I have a 7H17 I bought new last year now it has around 125 hours on it. I have the electric start, hourmeter, mulch kit, and 2 wheeled sulky. Love the machine. You will not regret buying it. This thing will climb a tree if you could get traction. Very good fuel economy too. Dont downsize to the belt drive models they did not impress me much, it is well worth the money in my opinion to buy the hydraulic model. I have not had any problems with mine so far, will buy another one when this one wears out.

shepoutside
03-04-2010, 08:14 PM
There is a good selection of dealers around us ( Cambridge/Kitchener ) just takes awhile to source them out. JD Dealers are OK around us, best one is in Ayr.

360ci
03-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Good to hear. How well does it mulch?

I don't charge much for what I do, but it is profitable. A 4' wide walk behind can potentially triple my production time, which is what I'm after. If I can do twice the amount of work in the same amount of time that it takes me now it'll pay for itself before the season is half over.

It makes me mad though that I wouldn't mind getting a used unit, but in my area, they're still close to $1K with a unit that has over 1000hrs on it. One that I looked at last fall, didn't even have power steer it was so old, but only had 850hrs on it, and the guy wouldn't budge a penny under $400, mainly because the engine (13hp) was replaced around the 500hr mark due to his own negligence, which after he said that, I walked away. I believe it was an older Toro, only because it was red/white, but I couldn't find any markings on it as he was the second owner. I figure premium price for a GREAT unit is worth while instead of getting someone's hand me down crap.

There was a ZTR nav (demo unit) for sale in Toronto not too long ago for $13K + taxes, which is about $3-4K under MSRP, but it's really a bit much for what I need.

360ci
03-04-2010, 08:32 PM
There is a good selection of dealers around us ( Cambridge/Kitchener ) just takes awhile to source them out. JD Dealers are OK around us, best one is in Ayr.

It's not entirely about dealer selection, it's about their inventory. No matter my luck, no one ever has what I'm after, or in most cases something that is even remotely close. I know it's winter yet and 4x4 tractors are the main-stay for another couple months, but geeze. The JD dealer in Elmira (Church St) has been helpful so far with everything but a quote (waiting to hear back soon)! I want to get everything before May 1. They said up to a couple weeks delivery time at the MOST, which is what I had figured.

Anyone know if there's a Lawn/Equipment expo in Toronto? Knowing my luck I probably already missed it, like the bike show, auto show, rv show....

Eagleseye
03-04-2010, 09:03 PM
I wont talk you out of a JD mower, have always ran JD here in Fl. and my guys have done everything you can imagine to them. I will tell that my biggest "hangup" with deere is they force you into buying their parts.
Pay close attention to the transmision or the hydraulics, because once the warranty is out they are pricey to replace. If your dealer support is good, I say buy the green.

P.S. I have a GS 45 with 2900 hours, looks like **** but runs like a deere. I have replaced the trans 3 times on this one and 1 engine
I have a HD 45 with 176 hours on it and both pumps need to be replaced because it has an external cooling fan sitting on top of each pump. The fan blades are made of cheap plastic and broke off, over heating each pump. This machine was out of warrenty and given to me by a large home construction co. so I shouldn't complain.

Good luck

inHaliburton
03-04-2010, 09:35 PM
I was at the bike show in January. There's the Spring bike show coming up at March Break again at the International Cenre near the airport.

From the sound of things, prices have gone up significantly since I bought my JD 735 for 10k 3 years ago.

I'm over here in Wellington, near Belleville and Picton. Grass is sprouting in a few places already unlike up in Haliburton where the grass starts growing in early May if it's warm...

360ci
03-04-2010, 10:15 PM
eagleseye - perhaps it's different in the US, who knows. I find that a lot of companies use similar equipment, only difference is perhaps a larger or smaller fuel tank, some controls and the engine manufacturer. Otherwise, a lot of equipment here looks similar. Especially for the homeowner brands. MTD plant closed up here last year, 400+ jobs were terminated. They were great for getting parts locally. Hydraulics and such I can install myself, but parts are pricy everywhere for almost all equipment. A front wheel hub assembly with ABS sensor for my Durango ran me over $500 (dealer wanted close to $600!) just for ONE unit. I installed it myself over a course of a few hours instead of paying the $226 labour they wanted on top of the cost of the part.

I'll be using it on a part time basis and treat all my equipment on the same level as my wife. Hey, I want them to last, right? If I can put over 400hours on a 6.25hp Tecumseh push lawnmower over the last 8 years I think I'll be OK in the maintenance department. Still, parts is where it hurts the most. The only problem I can see is having parts fail in 6+ years, and not being able to find them quickly. Sears has been good so far in obtaining Tecumseh engine parts (gaskets mostly) as those engines are no longer produced.

inHaliburton - I'm already booked for March break unfortunately. Yes, even with the low economy prices still manage to increase significantly. I used to stop at a Dairy place in Belleville years ago when I lived in Kingston. It was a bit of a drive of course, but worth it. I think it was called Reid's? I haven't been out that way in years and am overdue on visiting friends that are still stationed in Kingston. I'd definitely move back there if the price was right.

As for current weather, it's been well above average for everything, from snow fall, to cold temps. From now through til Sunday, it'll be above freezing throughout the day! We had a good snow fall last week, but it's over half melted already and the roads are clear. Grass will start growing soon enough. Good ol' global warming!

inHaliburton
03-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Typo. That should read, "JD 737."

360ci
03-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Ok gotcha.

shepoutside
03-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Anyone know if there's a Lawn/Equipment expo in Toronto? Knowing my luck I probably already missed it, like the bike show, auto show, rv show....

Landscape Ontario’s Congress, Canada’s largest international horticultural, lawn and garden trade show and conference, ran from January 12-14 at the Toronto Congress Centre.

360ci
03-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Landscape Ontario’s Congress, Canada’s largest international horticultural, lawn and garden trade show and conference, ran from January 12-14 at the Toronto Congress Centre.

Just my luck, missed that too!

inHaliburton
03-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Yuppers, that's Reid's Dairy in Belleville. Haven't been in there yet, moved from Haliburton in November, so still exploring.

clydebusa
03-06-2010, 05:26 AM
This is the mower to go with!

http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/midsize/tf_fixedgear/30678.html

360ci
03-06-2010, 11:20 AM
This is the mower to go with!

http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/midsize/tf_fixedgear/30678.html

What's a new unit go for? I couldn't find anything about it having a floating or anti-scalp deck on the web page there..?..but that just might be something to do with my four eyes.....

clydebusa
03-06-2010, 05:50 PM
On the drop down of
Unique Under-the-Deck Skid Plate

Reduces scalping when traveling over uneven terrain and to avoid catching while loading onto trailers.

http://www.slepowerequipment.com/servlet/the-87/NEW-48%22-TORO-/Detail

This page 3600.00 I gave 3300 2 years ago. It now has 2100 hours and nothing done except regular stuff, oil blades sharpen, did replace the blades this year.

360ci
03-06-2010, 06:14 PM
On the drop down of

Reduces scalping when traveling over uneven terrain and to avoid catching while loading onto trailers.

http://www.slepowerequipment.com/servlet/the-87/NEW-48%22-TORO-/Detail

This page 3600.00 I gave 3300 2 years ago. It now has 2100 hours and nothing done except regular stuff, oil blades sharpen, did replace the blades this year.

Perhaps I'll change my mind afterall! I'll have to check with a local dealer here to see what they'll charge. I would imagine in the $4000 range for my area (Canadian dollars!). I prefer simple, but having a machine that's $2K less up front is a big difference in bottom line. That'll keep my total expendature limit under five figures with the new trailer. Thanks! I'm checking it out now.

360ci
03-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Well, dealer #1 didn't call me back. So onto the next one.

I also found out that Toro #30678 isn't available in Canada. Canadian models: http://www.toro.ca/intl/ca_en/professional/lce/midsize/index.html

The equivalent mower in Canada from the 30678 would be the 30698 (link above). It has a 15hp Kohler engine instead of the 16hp Kawi. All other specs look to be the same? I put a call in five minutes ago to a dealer in Guelph, ON as they seem to push agood volume of commercial mowers through in this area. They also sell snowmobiles & ATV's.

The question I have is what's the difference between the T-bar, and the pistol grips? Which would be less fatiguing to use? With any luck I'm hoping to see a smilar model of the JD in question in the next two weeks to compare. However, if the price is much better on the Toro, I'll probably get it...we'll see.

360ci
03-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Well, turns out Toro is late in updating their website. US and CAN model 30678 IS in fact available and a replacement for the 30698 model that was on the Canadian website. They have a couple floor models which I will check out this week. Dealer emailed me back rather quickly!:
-----------------------------------------------------
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the inquiry and opportunity to quote. The model 30698 has been replaced by model 30678, 48" fixed-deck, gear-drive, T-bar with a 16hp Kawasaki engine (model 30698 was a 15 hp engine). It lists for $4387 and I've got it available on promo for $3948. In the mid-size commercial walk-behinds, I have only one currently in stock; it's model 30094 36" floating deck which is available at the same price of $3948 (regular $4,991).
Please call or e-mail if you have any questions.
Best Regards,
John

John Shultis
Grand River Lawn and Tractor
5457 Highway 6
Guelph ON, N1H 6J2
Ph. 519-823-6900
Fax 519.823.6902
-----------------------------------------------------

shepoutside
03-09-2010, 05:53 PM
There a decent dealer, been fast with replies to myself. I may buy a couple 21" of them this year, maybe look at that 36" too.

clydebusa
03-09-2010, 07:37 PM
The t handle is less stress on the arms.. After running it a while you can do it with one hand and it comes natural to do so. The only catch is to keep it adjusted. Which isn't really that big of a deal. good luck on whatever you choose.

clydebusa
03-09-2010, 07:40 PM
I might add, I haven't ran a JD with grips, but I have ran a Toro and Cub Cadet.

360ci
03-09-2010, 11:06 PM
There a decent dealer, been fast with replies to myself. I may buy a couple 21" of them this year, maybe look at that 36" too.

I called AND emailed the dealer on Albery St. Meets? Or whatever it was called a few days ago and haven't received a response back. Generally I've always gotten a reply from ANY business rep within 24hrs. After 72, I look elsewhere. I'll pop in and see John at the Guelph dealership over the next couple days depending on my work schedule.

Thanks for the the T bar info! I'll most likely go that route.

delphied
03-10-2010, 12:17 AM
I ll never buy a WB again. Stand ons only for me. That is my advice to you as well.

clydebusa
03-10-2010, 07:34 AM
My next purchase will be a stand-on, but that will probably be a year or so down the road.

Tyner Lawn Service
03-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Bunton is still around, just barely. When I first started out in this business, Bunton, John Deere, and Bobcat were the only commercial mowers around. All you saw were walkbehinds and push mowers. My guess is John Deere was a large part of Bunton's business. When JD started manufacturing their own mowers, it must of hurt Bunton, considerably. I think that Ramsomes Bobcat ended up buying Bunton. They look vary simular now.

There's a long story behind why Bunton got into it with JD,too long to tell anyway I have a 2007 7h17 a good machine EXCEPT the frame had to be changed out was twisted from factory,Idler pulley on deck bolt came loose(had a friends did the same thing) I do like the way it mows and easy to run. Yes the Buntons were great mowers,I put a lot of miles behind them.

360ci
03-10-2010, 03:09 PM
I ll never buy a WB again. Stand ons only for me. That is my advice to you as well.

I thought about it, but the price doesn't justify my part-time use of the machine. I have a few clients where a stand on would be a liability as far as hills and low trees go. I'd rather get a zero turn ride on before I get a stand on unit.

As much as I believe my helping hands during the summer season to be good at what they do, I'm sure I'll have problems and workmans comp issues with guys not paying attention and riding under trees. It seems far fetched, I know, but it's paperwork that I don't need, let alone the $2-3K more for a stand on unit.

I'll more than likely go with the Toro unit even though it's not as feature full as the JD, but for the $2K I'll save I can put that toward my new trailer instead. By the end of June I should see a profit after all this! I might get busier than what I can expect as I always under estimate myself, so we'll see.

jkilov
03-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Was looking at this JD about a year ago. I liked the way it handled and overall built quality but the quoted price which was over $6500 seemed steep back then.

360ci
03-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Was looking at this JD about a year ago. I liked the way it handled and overall built quality but the quoted price which was over $6500 seemed steep back then.

The price is on the high side, which is why I started this thread. I wanted to get ideas from users, non users and others who have dealt with this unit or one that's similar, or another manufacturers unit altogether, such was posted about the Toro, which has altered my mind in purchasing the JD as it's $2820 cheaper, minus a few features that I can live without on the Toro. If I planned to run it all day long, five days a week for the season I might spring for the JD for the better deck, etc. Still, the Toro seems to be the value buy in this case.

I've spent hours online trying to find reviews, specs, and research several walk behind models and the JD was the only one then to catch my fancy, despite the high MSRP. The Toro 48" WB is currently on as a demo model in my area at one dealer and I'll more than likely pick it up instead of ordering a JD, which will take weeks to get here. I've seen a similar JD unit, and was impressed, but again, for the $2800 I'll save, that's 80% of what I can put toward a new enclosed trailer.

360ci
03-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Well, the guy I emailed for a quote at an in town dealer got back to me as well. Four days later! I suppose it's better than nothing. It seems that there are good deals all over. I might follow up this one as well this weekend, but should I trust a sales person with the name Ursula???? kidding!:

Open in new windowOpen in new window
Print
View Message Source
Subject: Re: Toro walk behind quote.
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:51:09 -0500 [03/10/10 13:51:09 UTC]
To: brian@bwsynthetics.com
Cc:

Hi Brian,
This model will be selling at Promo price for $3950.00 and would need to be ordered in. Feel free to contact the other dealers for in stock pricing if you wish. It is good that you're shopping early! I have the Snapper Pro hydro walk behinds in stock this year...
Regards,
Ursula

jkilov
03-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Found a pic of the mower I took when demoing it at the dealer. I really liked the deck and overall build quality but in terms of value there's not much to look at. For $3950 I would take the toro any day.

360ci
03-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Yeah, for the price alone I'll end up going Toro. The T bar handle seems to be a good show as well. With any luck I plan to squeeze by the Toro dealer over the next couple days for a look. The only problem is, I have to get a new enclosed trailer as my current one is a small utility that's utterly useless except for taking stuff to the dump. Then, I'll be all set.