PDA

View Full Version : Echo Trimmers

rungreen
02-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Looking at new echo trimmers what model does everyone like.

Just Mow
02-27-2010, 11:18 PM
Stihl FS90R

SNAPPER MAN
02-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Echo SRM-265T. Great trimmer and great power.

CLARK LAWN
02-28-2010, 12:00 AM
second the stihl. ive had nothing but problems with echo. i have one left and i took it to my stihl dealer cause i cant deal with the echo dealer anymore.

KrayzKajun
02-28-2010, 12:05 AM
i have three of the old SRm-210s, love them
have a SRM-230 awesome power

i heard the SRM-265 are a beast

Merkava_4
02-28-2010, 12:35 AM
Echo SRM-265T. Great trimmer and great power.

That model has the 4-layer flex cable drive.

The model SRM-265S with its solid shaft drive is superior. :p

carguyrob
02-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Never run stihl, I've always had echo and had good luck. Nice and light with very good power. I'm probably gonna pick up a 265T or S this year.

Merkava_4
02-28-2010, 12:48 AM
I'm probably gonna pick up a 265T or S this year.

As I understand it, unless somebody tells me otherwise, the model SRM-265T
has the cable drive with a high torque (gear reduction) gearbox. The model
SRM-265S has the solid shaft drive with a low torque gearbox. So if my
assumptions are correct, the SRM-265T gives you more torque but won't last
as long, and the SRM-265S will last longer but won't give you as much torque.

dtc0207
02-28-2010, 12:54 AM
As I understand it, unless somebody tells me otherwise, the model SRM-265T
has the cable drive with a high torque (gear reduction) gearbox. The model
SRM-265S has the solid shaft drive with a low torque gearbox. So if my
assumptions are correct, the SRM-265T gives you more torque but won't last
as long, and the SRM-265S will last longer but won't give you as much torque.

You are incorrect as all ECHO trimmers come with a LIFETIME WARRENTY on the drive shaft it does not matter if it is solid or flex

Merkava_4
02-28-2010, 12:58 AM
You are incorrect as all ECHO trimmers come with a LIFETIME WARRENTY on the drive shaft it does not matter if it is solid or flex

Then why does Echo make both a cable drive version
and a solid shaft version? They must have a damn good
reason; I'm curious as heck to know what that reason is.
Why would someone prefer cable drive over shaft drive???

dtc0207
02-28-2010, 01:12 AM
OK Benefits of a solid shaft trimmer:better acceleration, more torque, less power loss between engine and head
Benefits of cable: lighter, more durable a the cable can give a little, holds grease better, cheaper, less vibration

grassman177
02-28-2010, 01:17 AM
that sounds pretty common sense dtc0207.

dtc0207
02-28-2010, 01:21 AM
I was just answering Merkava qustion from page one he asked why would one prefer cable

Merkava_4
02-28-2010, 01:31 AM
OK Benefits of a solid shaft trimmer:better acceleration, more torque, less power loss between engine and head
Benefits of cable: lighter, more durable a the cable can give a little, holds grease better, cheaper, less vibration

I've read several different brand's brochures and they all
say that a solid shaft gives you less vibration than a cable. :confused:

dtc0207
02-28-2010, 01:47 AM
I've read several different brand's brochures and they all
say that a solid shaft gives you less vibration than a cable. :confused:

If you think about a solid piece of metal will hold vibration were braid cable and absorb everything I have seen say flex is less vibration

RCSindiana
02-28-2010, 02:08 AM
Cant beat the echo trimmers. You couldnt give me a stihl :) For light trimming I use a 210 because of the weight difference. I hate lugging around the extra weight for light stuff. If I need to really tear into something I use the 230. The echos just seem to stay running better for me. Anytime I buy something stihl I end up back at the dealer telling them to fix it.

Big C
02-28-2010, 02:29 AM
I bought a SRM-230 about a month ago seems like a pretty good trimmer.....I can't wait until the spring to really test it out.

mictrik
02-28-2010, 03:59 AM
I have an SRM230 (Grey Model) and a Stihl FS90R. I tend to use the Echo more for general trimming because it is lighter and use the Stihl for the attachments and sometimes to trim. They are both very good and both of them cleared an overgrown back yard (18"-20" high grass) with ease. Power seems similar between both with the Stihl having the edge. The 4 mix engine should be run with an extra high grade oil (synthetic) in order to reduce valve carbon issues.

SouthSide Cutter
02-28-2010, 08:53 AM
I like the old 261T or 2601T which is the new 265T. Just dont like the new handle on the Echos, the hump on the end hurts my palm after a long run where the old straight handle doesnt. My 2601T's have had the dog chit run out of them and they still are in good shape. But I bought some FS100RX Stihls because of weight about 2lb less. Will see if they hold up like the Echo.

rob7233
02-28-2010, 09:17 AM
That model has the 4-layer flex cable drive.

The model SRM-265S with its solid shaft drive is superior. :p

I may be wrong but doesn't the "T" have a different geared head making it High Torque? Otherwise the solid shaft would be superior for power transfer and wear.

rob7233
02-28-2010, 09:32 AM
You are incorrect as all ECHO trimmers come with a LIFETIME WARRANTY on the drive shaft it does not matter if it is solid or flex

Sorry about the last post but I didn't read far enough. The shaft warranty is lifetime and the shaft itself is not real costly but to get the warranty honored you have to pay the dealer's labor to do the work. Now that's expensive!

On the solid shaft - potentially better power transfer and potentially less movement and vibration but slightly more weight. Maybe less wear for the same reasons.
Will any of these payoffs be seen in actual real use in all cases? Most likely not. Also, I imagine the solid shaft is more expensive to produce.

brucec32
02-28-2010, 12:17 PM

Actually they tout the steel shaft as being lighter, and the specs support that. Go figure.

Also, I seriously doubt one is going to wear out the shaft on these things before the other components have become useless. These are $200-$300 machines, splurge and buy a new one every few years guys. The engine repairs and replacements are where the money is anyway. In a business that grosses $40,000 or more per trimmer in the fleet, it's hardly worth thinking about to spend maybe $100/year on trimmers in order to have reliable ones that don't eat up your time with repairs and maintenance.

Pat'sPerfectLawnService
02-28-2010, 03:59 PM
i had a srm 210 and it was 7+ years old that had no problems exept for last year the carberator was messng up so i got the srm 251e and so far it is very good.

gtread
02-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Have 2 Echo SRM 210 machines, also an Echo 210 with the sabre saw tip for limb cutting.
Installed a 9" carbide blade on one of them for clearing brush such as honeysuckle, buckthorn etc. beat that trimmer into the ground for years and she just keeps on going.
Bang for the buck! just cant be beat. gtread

gtread
02-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Pat:
You can put a new carb on that machine for about $40.-50 bucks. gtread

Alan0354
02-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Funny the cheapest Echo SRM210 turn out to be one of the most durable and reliable trimmer. My HC151 I got 5 years ago turn out to be the most reliable one. You can say all the reason why they are cheap, inferior features and all, at the end of the day, they last and get the job done.

I don't use the HC151 anymore for hedging only because it is too short for my back. And at that, I use it as dispossable to cut branches to compect the stuff for recycle. And it has been holding up, you are talking about cutting branches up to 5/8" and piles of it!!! They sure did something right with that 21cc engine!!! On paper, single ring, two bolt cylinder, those are Craftsman's signature!! But........................

MOturkey
02-28-2010, 05:32 PM
I have two a 260, a 261T and a 265T which I bought last summer. I like both the older trimmers, except for the "cold naturedness" they both exhibited. I had the carb replaced on both and that took care of that problem.

I bought the 265 while one of the others was in the shop, as I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law. The 265 runs great, starts easier than the older models, and has plenty of power, but I do not like the new handle configuration. I replaced the stock loop handle with a new flex type which was used on the older units, but the shaft handle you are pretty well stuck with. For some reason, it is made substantially thicker than the older models, and, in my opinion, is much less comfortable to use for long periods. It is probably one of those things where if it was the only one you had ever used, you would think it is great, but after using the older style for close to 10 years, it sucks.

Some improvements really are, some aren't, and I don't thnk the newer looking handles are. I really think the change was made to "modernize" the look. They are almost identical to the Stihl, just from looking at the two.

Pat'sPerfectLawnService
03-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Pat:
You can put a new carb on that machine for about $40.-50 bucks. gtread

yea i though about doing that so i have a good 2nd trimmer for a spare.

bobcat48
03-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Love my srm 225

type_rcivic2000
03-01-2010, 01:47 PM
The SRM-265, 265T and 265S are all very good machines. They are pretty much the standard as far as power goes (25.4cc). For the extra 30 bucks the 265T is well worth it over the 265. You can run them both side by side and feel the extra torque coming out of it. The 265S will be lighter than the 265T, but is not suited for brushcutter blades if you choose to use one.

SangerLawn
03-01-2010, 01:58 PM
None of my employees like the echos except me. The all prefer our red maxs. Of course if we get into tall weeds I will drop the echo like a hot potato and use the redmax.

I like the light weight and low power of the echo for our normally maintained properties. Never had a problem with any of ours. Great cheappy trimmers.

grassman177
03-01-2010, 01:59 PM
we run the 280T, imagine the more beat you get over it thant eh 265! they are screaming power, better than the bigger previous models they replaced, the 311. which has a bigger engine!!

SangerLawn
03-01-2010, 02:00 PM

Actually this is wrong. If you read the fine print, echo only warranties there equipment for 1 year if you are a company. If you are a home owner this works out great but if you’re in business the warranty sucks,

KarambaStar
03-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Actually this is wrong. If you read the fine print, echo only warranties there equipment for 1 year if you are a company. If you are a home owner this works out great but if you’re in business the warranty sucks,

You're partly right but mostly wrong. For purchases after Jan. 1, 2010 all ECHO equipment excluding chainsaws, QuikVent and cutoff saws carry a 2 year COMMERCIAL warranty (5 year homeowner). However, the following parts carry a lifetime warranty regardless of commercial or homeowner use (and always have had a lifetime warranty): Ignition modules, flex cables, solid cables, and TC cultivator tines. Again, the 4 previously mentioned parts carry a lifetime warranty regardless of whether the unit is being used commercially or residentially.

Pennington Lawncare
03-01-2010, 02:17 PM
I will not buy any more Echo trimmers. The SRM-210 I bought a while back has a non-adjustable carb. At least there are no adjustment screws that can be easily adjusted. The thing takes a few pulls to get it started and it cools down so quickly between lawns that you have to have to go through the cold start procedure all over again. Pain the butt. The engine barely revs high enough to run smoothly and I need to take it to the dealer right now. If you don't mind pulling the string a half a dozen times or more and then wait on it to warm up so it'll run decent then it's a great trimmer.

SangerLawn
03-01-2010, 02:25 PM
I will not buy any more Echo trimmers. The SRM-210 I bought a while back has a non-adjustable carb. At least there are no adjustment screws that can be easily adjusted. The thing takes a few pulls to get it started and it cools down so quickly between lawns that you have to have to go through the cold start procedure all over again. Pain the butt. The engine barely revs high enough to run smoothly and I need to take it to the dealer right now. If you don't mind pulling the string a half a dozen times or more and then wait on it to warm up so it'll run decent then it's a great trimmer.

This is going to sound ******ed but I promise it works. Empty all the gas out of your trimmer. Fill it with straight WD-40. it will be a pain to start (maybe 10 pulls) but then run the full tank of WD-40 threw it. It will smell like you just lit a BBQ grill but it will clean it completely out. After that tank put your normal fuel back into it and it will run 100 percent better…..promise….

LALawnboy
03-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Looking at new echo trimmers what model does everyone like.

Another vote here for SRM-265T. Have two and love em'.

scotlykins
03-01-2010, 03:27 PM
I always thought solid shafts were made for attachments while with the flex attachments are not recomended. Anyway we are going to go with Echo trimmers as soon as our RedMax's and Stihls wear out.

Our favorite is the FS100RX. It is light and cuts great. It is always the first picked up.

KarambaStar
03-01-2010, 04:46 PM

I think it does have an adjustable carb , but can only be adjusted with a special tool.

IN2MOWN
03-01-2010, 04:50 PM
I quit using Echo trimmers a while back. I love my RedMax for the weight and length of it. I like Echos but I will tell you this. You will get one great season out of it and then it starts to bog down. Make sure you keep the carb and filters extra clean on them because they will wear down on you.

Merkava_4
03-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Another vote here for SRM-265T. Have two and love em'.

It seems like the dealers prefer to stock the SRM-265T
rather than the SRM-265S -- I wonder why that is. :confused:

grassman177
03-01-2010, 06:13 PM
we have found the 280 to ber very clean burning after checking the ports this winter after a full season, none had carbon buildup compared to the 311 which had some and just a little is enough to slow the engine down so you dont get the raw power it can produce. just an observation i have had.

we use opti 2 cycle oil and it has made the difference, b4 on the 311 with other oils we would clean the ports about 4 times a year. now once, maybe twice on an older trimmer. we change plugs and air filters once every month, air filters as often as needed though and sometimes that is twice per month depending.

Pat'sPerfectLawnService
03-01-2010, 06:39 PM
It seems like the dealers prefer to stock the SRM-265T
rather than the SRM-265S -- I wonder why that is. :confused:

the 265t isnt the stock model, neither is the 265s, the 265 is the stock. The 265t has more torque than the stock one and the 265s has a solid steel drive shaft. Just to let you know :)