PDA

View Full Version : Wire dispensers

Pro-Scapes
02-28-2010, 10:57 AM
After 4 years of good use my CAST wire dispenser finally broke down on me. The bearing seized and was missing half of the balls. I definatly got my use out of it so I cannot complain.

I looked at several but decided to go back to the original I used back in my fiber optic (broadband data) days. What are you guys using ? I find these inexpensive enough to have several on site and they fold up flat to boot. I have tried everything from Rack a tier to greenlee stuff but these are by far the best.

http://www.buy.com/prod/steren-cable-caddy-nic/q/loc/101/205984332.html

RLI Electric
02-28-2010, 12:59 PM
This is what I have http://rack-a-tiers.com/prodCat09.htm. They have proven to be great.

Lite4
02-28-2010, 10:02 PM
This is what I have http://rack-a-tiers.com/prodCat09.htm. They have proven to be great.

Yep, the rack-a-tier is very versatile. Makes a good stool for sitting and wiring up connections too.

Pro-Scapes
03-01-2010, 07:58 AM
I much preffer these to the rack a tiers. If i want something to sit on a 5 gallon bucket works fine.

ChampionLS
03-05-2010, 03:47 AM
We offer one that works well with 500' spools. The ES part # is PLWSC, and comes powder coated in Bengal Blue!

Lite4
03-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Oooh, I like that one Anthony. That would be very compact in an already tight van. PM me about where to buy one.

Thanks

JoeyD
03-09-2010, 02:11 PM
you mean none of you use the old cinder blocks and shovel handle technique? Rookies.............j/k LOL

extlights
03-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Jackstands and a steel rod.

Pro-Scapes
03-09-2010, 05:07 PM
the link I posted looks huge in the pic. Really it folds flat a little bigger than a cookie sheet when not in use but the overhead rail makes carrying spools alot easier. I have been really happy over the past week I have been using them and at this price point they are really a steal.

irrig8r
03-09-2010, 05:23 PM
For 250 ft spools I put the spools on end in plastic milk crates and pop a piece of rebar down through the middle arbor to anchor them to the ground.

JoeyD
03-09-2010, 06:16 PM
we used to use a lazy susan inbetween 2 round peices of wood. Attach a peice of metal conduit in the center, lay the real on top ad spin away! They were cheap and easy.

RLI Electric
03-09-2010, 06:47 PM
4 foot ladder and a pipe bender handle. (Make sure the wire comes off the bottom of the reel)

Pro-Scapes
03-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Just curious what you guys think. How does it look to the client when they see you with jackstands or trying to balance some other makeshift contraption? I am all for making my life easier and if I can spend 30 bucks to save myself a few trips back and forth to the spool to untangle it from an upright type dispenser I am all for that.

extlights
03-10-2010, 12:25 AM
I would say that 95% of the time the homeowner isn't home when we are doing the install. Most of the times when they are home we don't ever see them until we're finished. Very rarely is there just one person rolling out the wire anyway, so usually it's 2 guys working together and we don't need anything like that. It is a good idea and we will probably get one, but I don't think it'll get used much.

trailboss
03-10-2010, 09:52 AM
I know its kinda redneck but it works well and its cheap. The only problem is that you have to use 250' rolls. We used the crates for a little while to carry tools but got tired of that pretty quick - we use electricians tool bags now.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=265655

Steve

sprinkler guy
04-12-2010, 06:22 PM
After 4 years of good use my CAST wire dispenser finally broke down on me. The bearing seized and was missing half of the balls. I definatly got my use out of it so I cannot complain.

I looked at several but decided to go back to the original I used back in my fiber optic (broadband data) days. What are you guys using ? I find these inexpensive enough to have several on site and they fold up flat to boot. I have tried everything from Rack a tier to greenlee stuff but these are by far the best.

http://www.buy.com/prod/steren-cable-caddy-nic/q/loc/101/205984332.html

Billy,

Just wanted to say thanks for the post on this wire spooler. I just finished my third week of having this thing in the field, and man, has it made my life easier.

NightScenes
04-13-2010, 09:27 AM
I'll have to take a picture of mine. I can put 2-1000' rolls on it. I had it made for me when I was an electrical contractor and wired a LOT of houses.

Pro-Scapes
04-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Billy,

Just wanted to say thanks for the post on this wire spooler. I just finished my third week of having this thing in the field, and man, has it made my life easier.

Glad you liked it. Today I am waiting on materials so we are re-organizing the trailer. Alot of guys dont realize just how much more enjoyable the little things make your job. Having the proper tools eliminate so many headaches. Just a tip. I am outfitting mine with an eye ring so that the wire cannot become nested to the side of the spool when pulling at angles. Will send some pictures when I get it done

NightScenes
04-13-2010, 12:29 PM
I like that folding model, it looks like it would tuck away very well.

Pro-Scapes
04-13-2010, 02:21 PM
I like that folding model, it looks like it would tuck away very well.

It does. When it is unloaded it just hangs on the wall in the trailer.

David Gretzmier
04-13-2010, 10:55 PM
I have a wire spooler I just welded out of 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch steel tubing, it works, but not near as cool as those rack a tiers- any idea on price on those?

Pro-Scapes
04-14-2010, 06:52 AM
I have a wire spooler I just welded out of 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch steel tubing, it works, but not near as cool as those rack a tiers- any idea on price on those?

For what you would pay for a rack a tier you can buy 2-3 of the ones in my link. I just saw a rack a tier the other day on a job and the home theater guys were using it. They liked mine better too. Grab and go... no multiple parts to mess with.

Mines grab and go. The handle makes it nice to carry wire.

David Gretzmier
04-14-2010, 11:21 PM
yeah, but I have a grab and go, I built one. but the rack a tier looks cool. plus you can do other stuff with it, and I like multi taking stuff. it looks like they are around 90-100 bucks online.

Pro-Scapes
04-15-2010, 10:43 PM
You just gave me an idea. I will start a new thread