PDA

View Full Version : plant watering

hewitt64
06-11-2002, 08:11 PM
how much and how often do you tell your customers to water a new planting. all kinds of plants. Do they water every day?

robert payer
06-11-2002, 08:19 PM
Consider buying a $5.00 water meter. Build one into your planting pricing. You can buy these at most big box stores. Meter tells if plant is wet or dry. Have customer check plants 3 times a week. Plants can never be watered by a calander or time table. Different beds in the same yard will often register differently.

Hope that this has been of help.

KenH
06-13-2002, 06:48 PM
I always tell my customers to water at least once a day....because I know they never do. I always make it s point to check in and let them know how they are doing.

robert payer
06-13-2002, 09:33 PM
A dry plant will generaly live longer than a plant that is always wet. To much water all the time in my opinion is like suffocation of the plant. Only water plants when they begin to dry out. Remember that when it comes to plants and gardening: You often kill with kindness.

Just some thoughts which have worked well for us.

KenH
06-14-2002, 07:46 AM
We suggest this to NEW plantings only. Once a rootball on a tree dries, it is very hard to get water to the roots once the rootball hardens. A customer would put a hose on the tree for about 5 minutes thinking it is watered...its like watering concrete. I think its dangerous to let new plants dry out. I agree 100% that wet established plants is a no no...where ther is water, there is no available oxygen for the roots.