PDA

View Full Version : bluebird sod cutter need help!

onlythebest
02-28-2010, 02:02 PM
i was at one of my local home depots today and the guy who sold me my aerator asked if i would be interested in a sod cutter he has to sell. long story short it will run t idle fine but as soon as you lower it and the machine is under load the blade will not budge. almost all of the parts for the blade mechanism are new and he said he will do everything to help me fix it even offered to come by my house one weekend to work on it for free. in Canada they sell new for about 5500 and he can sell it to me for round 850 its about 3 years old and doesn't have much use at all.
so my question to you is, do you think this is a big problem or an easy fix? 850 a decent price for this machine? (its the 4 wheel drive model)
sorry for the long post but i don't want to buy it if im going to have to spend a whole lot of money to fix it, it's not really worth it.
let me know what you think the problem might be and if i should buy it.
Thanks,
Matt

RigglePLC
02-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Do you mean the blade goes back and forth fine until you lower it into the sod? If so check the belt. And secondly (if the engine bogs down easily) perhaps the governor or governor linkage spring is broke or missing. When the engine slows due to load--the governor should open the throttle wide open to give you more power. Easy fix at a mower shop.

onlythebest
02-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Alright so how would I go about tentioning the belt? Don't know much about theese machines so I need all the help I can get
thanks again,
Matt
Posted via Mobile Device

naughty62
03-04-2010, 07:20 AM
I had a similar experience a few years ago . Had to barrow a state facilitys sod cutters because our cutter was acting up .It Smoked belts and did not work worth a crap ,even after soaking the area over night .Sometimes a P.O.S. is a P.O.S. . If the salesman can demonstrate how wonder the machine is .buy it

upidstay
03-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Well, your first mistake was buying a Blue Bird. They're junk. Everything they make is junk. There's a very good reason why they are so inexpensive. Sell it on Craigs List and get a real one. We had a husqavarna that was terriffic. Not sure who makes it for them.

lawns Etc
03-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Husky and Bluebird Aerators,Seeders and Sod cutters are one and the same!