PDA

View Full Version : Need help with ramps, truck pictured

tthomass
02-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Here's my truck I'm putting together. The floor sits 3' off the ground. What length ramp is appropriate? I'm looking at a dovetail kit + ramps that is about $1,750 installed. Kit has a 3' dovetail + 5' ramps.

Link to the kit is here: http://www.kandkmanufacturing.com/dovetail.htm

If 8' is the answer, I can have two ramps welded/hinged to the back of the truck for a lot less. The ramps would probably have to fold up and then fold in half. Yes, the kit is nice but I'm concerned about it hanging back there and plus if the cost is half for ramps.....idk, I do like the kit though.

rm25x
02-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Personally I would just spring for the kit myself. I like how it would give you more of a platform for putting the back door up and down as well. But I would assume looking at that kit, that 8' ramps would probably leave you with close to the same angle, thats assuming that the dovetail and the ramps are the same angle.

ALC-GregH
02-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Sounds like you need someone to decide for you. Well your in luck. Get the kit and after you have it installed and try it out, you can thank me. :D

tthomass
02-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Hoping someone has such a setup and can chime in on any concerns. It hangs back a lot and your line of site is going to stop with the body of the truck, for the most part.

P.Services
02-28-2010, 08:56 PM
I belive that is a penski truck is it not? Hmm who would have ever had such a great idea? Picasso maybe. Gee thanks.

How much did you give for it? What year?
Posted via Mobile Device

tthomass
02-28-2010, 09:10 PM
When did you talk about a Pensk"e" truck?

'04 with 92k for $6,500.

yardguy28
02-28-2010, 09:11 PM
sell it......

get a pick up and at least a 6' x 12' open or enclosed trailer.

P.Services
02-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Don't you try to act like that. You just go back to your original question you posted about box vans and you read what the first reply was.

You got boned on that price though!! You should asked me and I would give you the top dogs number at penski used. You can't buy them through a dealer, go straight to penski used and get a 06 because they have tranferible warranties and you can get them for a lot less (1500) with less then 65k miles. Trust me I have done my home work on these trucks. Gm no longer remarkets these trucks for penske so they will blow them out the door. They have no choice now. They won't come out and tell you that gm doesn't take them back but the dealers will because they are pissed about it. They use to get the trucks from penske for 5-6 and then sell them all day long for 10-13. Times have changed.
Posted via Mobile Device

rm25x
02-28-2010, 09:22 PM
I have been wondering how this setup would work compared to a truck/trailer setup.

tthomass
02-28-2010, 09:24 PM
I've got a pickup and a 7x16 enclosed trailer + this truck, I'm good.

I spoke with people at Penske, they wanted $8k+ for a truck. Send me the info of who you're talking about.

P.Services
02-28-2010, 09:26 PM
You talked to archaleta didn't you? A black guy? They wanted 8 from me to. Just tell him you want to speak with the manager. That dude will cut a deal. Let me find his number. I have
Posted via Mobile Device

Mickhippy
02-28-2010, 09:50 PM
I would take that door off and replace with a fold down ramp. (spring assisted, checker plate becomes the door)
If its to steep you could add legs to the end to make it less steep, becomes the dovetail and smaller hinged ramp(s) at the end.

You could add extendable legs to the "ramp" and it would become a great work bench or table.

P.Services
02-28-2010, 09:58 PM
what did that cost you to have it painted?

tthomass
02-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Paint was $2,000. I didn't go with single stage crap.