PDA

View Full Version : 1999 F-350 powerstroke

mowerbrad
02-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Okay, for those of you who have helped me with my search for a new truck, you will know that I have decided to search for a Ford 7.3 powerstroke. I was on Craigslist tonight and happened to run across a 1999 F-350 7.3 powerstroke. It has 198k miles on it and the asking price is $12,300.

I've got to know, does this look like a good truck? Its only about 25 minutes from me and if I do start to look into it further I will make sure it goes to my mechanic to be fully inspected.

Here is the link... http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/1587415928.html

stroker51
03-01-2010, 12:47 AM
Man I dont understand why you are looking at all these high mileage trucks....I have been considering trading my 01 with 125k on it and the best trade offer I have gotten is 12k, so they would be selling it tops $14-15k if that. That truck is maybe a 8-10k truck here. I would keep looking personally, find something with 100-150k for not much more money than that. I am kicking my self in the ass for not buying an 03 7.3 F250 4x4 crew cab short bed with 80k miles for 20k a couple weeks ago....that would have been a deal!!! I think you will find a better deal than that one, unless it checks out 100% and you could buy it for maybe no more than 10k. But no more than that in my opinion.

calsconstruction
03-01-2010, 12:57 AM
yeah 12,000 seems high, and you have to be careful with the transmission i have a 99 f-350 dually 7.3 diesel bought it with 90,000 miles and it worked great tell i hit about 200,000 the the rear main seal went out and then the transmission and now the rear end is leaking. we take good care of it but we do alot of pulling, not saying it wouldnt be a good truck i would just be careful i think you could find one on autotrader.com as cheap with less miles.

mowerbrad
03-01-2010, 01:08 AM
Well I found 1999 F250 that has 163K on it for $10500, but it has a recently rebuilt tranny, not sure if that is an issue or not. I've tried to look at trucks with lower miles but it is hard to find one close enough to me. I will no longer look at trucks with over 200k though.

http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/cto/1591430990.html

mowerbrad
03-01-2010, 01:20 AM
I have found several trucks that are the 6.0L powerstroke but I have heard so many mixed reviews about them that I'm very unsure about them. I could get a 2003 6.0 powerstroke with 145k for about $13000, and it'd be all I want and then some, I'm just unsure about the engine.

Moto52
03-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Well I found 1999 F250 that has 163K on it for $10500, but it has a recently rebuilt tranny, not sure if that is an issue or not. I've tried to look at trucks with lower miles but it is hard to find one close enough to me. I will no longer look at trucks with over 200k though.

http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/cto/1591430990.html

He blew the tranny from his Edge Programmer..... you might want to stay away from that one if he has it all chipped up and no EGT gauge you can over heat it. and he doesn't say it has any guages so...

Moto52
03-01-2010, 10:26 AM
I have found several trucks that are the 6.0L powerstroke but I have heard so many mixed reviews about them that I'm very unsure about them. I could get a 2003 6.0 powerstroke with 145k for about $13000, and it'd be all I want and then some, I'm just unsure about the engine.

Stay away from the hand grenade under the hood trust me!

mowerbrad
03-01-2010, 03:16 PM
He blew the tranny from his Edge Programmer..... you might want to stay away from that one if he has it all chipped up and no EGT gauge you can over heat it. and he doesn't say it has any guages so...

Thats kinda what I figured. I know those engines and trannies can handle a mild setting on the tuners with no problem, but I figured this owner probably had it on the high settings for too long.

Stay away from the hand grenade under the hood trust me!

That seems to be what most people tell me, which is why I most likely won't go for one.

TXNSLighting
03-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Okay, for those of you who have helped me with my search for a new truck, you will know that I have decided to search for a Ford 7.3 powerstroke. I was on Craigslist tonight and happened to run across a 1999 F-350 7.3 powerstroke. It has 198k miles on it and the asking price is $12,300.

I've got to know, does this look like a good truck? Its only about 25 minutes from me and if I do start to look into it further I will make sure it goes to my mechanic to be fully inspected.

Here is the link... http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/1587415928.html

Looks to be well taken care of. I probbly wouldnt pay more than $9 or 10k for it...

TXNSLighting
03-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Thats kinda what I figured. I know those engines and trannies can handle a mild setting on the tuners with no problem, but I figured this owner probably had it on the high settings for too long.

That seems to be what most people tell me, which is why I most likely won't go for one.

6.0's can be good ones. especially 03's. theres some that are flawless. Its all in the oasis report. If its clean, jump on it. If not. walk away.

O and the second one with the programmer, I wouldnt look at it. Thats why he rebuilt the tranny. The engine will be the next to have issues.

Raymond S.
03-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Brad,
How "new" of a truck are you looking for? I am going to have a 95 7.3 w/ 150 on the clock in about a week. It's part of the assets I am purchasing from another company. It's an extended cab 4x4 w/ Western poly plow.

mowerbrad
03-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Brad,
How "new" of a truck are you looking for? I am going to have a 95 7.3 w/ 150 on the clock in about a week. It's part of the assets I am purchasing from another company. It's an extended cab 4x4 w/ Western poly plow.

Well, I've got a 1998 truck now, so I'm going for newer than that. The reason for going for the 99-03 ford is because I like that body style better than the older style.

rstan2010
03-02-2010, 04:35 PM
heres a good one

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/1624916891.html

TXNSLighting
03-02-2010, 05:31 PM
heres a good one

Except he cant spell diesel...but yeh theres a good one!

mowerbrad
03-02-2010, 06:54 PM
heres a good one

I may have to look further into that one.

RHayden
03-02-2010, 11:50 PM
The 99 F350 is a little high. My 99 reg cab with 135k miles would be lucky to bring 9k around here. So I would say 10k max on that one. The '03 doesn't sound too far out of line. Too bad its not closer to me!!!! Its hard to beat those 7.3's.

JakeLewis79
03-04-2010, 05:02 AM
The 99 F350 is a little high. My 99 reg cab with 135k miles would be lucky to bring 9k around here. So I would say 10k max on that one.

I agree. I bought my late 99 (make sure you look at the build date on 99s) F350 diesel crew cab 4x4 last year for $8500. There are deals out there, just hard to find.

mowerbrad
03-04-2010, 10:34 AM
I've thought about traveling to get a truck, but I just don't have the time to be able to travel too far away to get a truck. A few hours away is about my limit (whereever I can drive to and bring it back in one day). I search craigslist, autotrader, cars.com, etc. pretty regularly and find a few here and there but no real deals or anything that stands out. I'd like to find a nicely priced truck that doesn't cost me top-dollar but is in good condition.

AndyTblc
03-04-2010, 12:08 PM
I liked the looks of that black F-350 you posted, did you ever go to look at that one?

mowerbrad
03-04-2010, 12:15 PM
I haven't had time to check out the truck yet, I might call him this weekend and see if I could take a look at it soon. It looks like a good truck.

mowerbrad
03-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Ok guys, what do you think about this one.... http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/1591563366.html

It's a little more than what I would like to spend, I'd like to spend under $15k after tax/title/license/etc., but maybe if I could get him down a little bit on price.

AndyTblc
03-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Well, to me it looks like there is a plow mount on the front, Western Ultra mount from the pictures. I'd never buy a used plow truck.
Check the ball joints. The F-250's are known for ball joints going bad and are VERY expensive to repair.
Would I buy it, probably not, but I'm picky.

mowerbrad
03-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Well, to me it looks like there is a plow mount on the front, Western Ultra mount from the pictures. I'd never buy a used plow truck.
Check the ball joints. The F-250's are known for ball joints going bad and are VERY expensive to repair.

I thought it looked like a plow mount on the front, but I couldn't decide whether or not it was or was just a shadow. I too am quite picky, and I will refuse to buy a used plow truck unless I know who drove it.

TXNSLighting
03-05-2010, 12:41 AM

Theyre not that expensive..

Evan528
03-05-2010, 01:44 PM
about $1000 or so.....not the end of the world.

TXNSLighting
03-05-2010, 02:58 PM
about $1000 or so.....not the end of the world.

Wow, theyre not that much here! I can get them done for about $600ish...Good times!

Evan528
03-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Everything is cheaper in Texas it seems.......

mowerbrad
03-05-2010, 08:07 PM
I've heard some bad things about the 6.0L powerstrokes, but have also heard that there were some good ones. My local ford dealer called me today and they just got in a 2004 6.0 with 150k, and it might be within my budget. What do I need to know about the 6.0's?

TXNSLighting
03-05-2010, 10:24 PM
I've heard some bad things about the 6.0L powerstrokes, but have also heard that there were some good ones. My local ford dealer called me today and they just got in a 2004 6.0 with 150k, and it might be within my budget. What do I need to know about the 6.0's?

Before you even get curios, have them pull an oasis report! Dont worry about anything else until then. Tho: Headstuds is the main thing. sometimes injectors and the EGR needs to be deleted. Just to name a few..

mowerbrad
03-05-2010, 11:05 PM
I will definately be having the dealer pull and oasis report on them, that was about the first thing I thought of. So what should I be looking for on the oasis report? If the truck had any work done on the things mentioned (headstuds/injectors) is that going to mean it is a problem truck?

1wezil
03-06-2010, 12:24 AM
6.0's can be good ones. especially 03's. theres some that are flawless. Its all in the oasis report. If its clean, jump on it. If not. walk away.

O and the second one with the programmer, I wouldnt look at it. Thats why he rebuilt the tranny. The engine will be the next to have issues.

I picked up a F-350 2004 last spring with 175000 mile and pay 11900.00 with 6.0 and we love .I wouldn't buy anything that has any chips on them. I pull a 28ft cargo trailer loaded and have all the power I ever need It's weight loaded is 18500 ...:weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:

JakeLewis79
03-06-2010, 12:47 AM
I agree. Get an Oasis report. Head studs, egr delete and it will be just a good as a 05-07 6.0.

http://www.powerstroke.org <-----lots of good info here.

1wezil
03-06-2010, 01:04 AM
I agree. Get an Oasis report. Head studs, egr delete and it will be just a good as a 05-07 6.0.

http://www.powerstroke.org <-----lots of good info here.

Do you have a 6.0 if so did you get rid of the egr ?

mowerbrad
03-06-2010, 01:05 AM
I hate to stray from the 7.3's because they have a great repuation and I know they will be a pretty reliable engine/truck for me. But at the same time, I see plenty of 6.0's with "lower" miles (100k-150k) and they are typically less than the 7.3's in price. But I also don't want to make a move on something that I won't be happy with.

JakeLewis79
03-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Do you have a 6.0 if so did you get rid of the egr ?

No, I have a 7.3 because I didn't want a 6.0 and couldn't afford a 6.4.

AtoZ
03-06-2010, 01:20 AM
Dude - there is no perfect engine, no perfect tranny and no perfect truck...

Buying a pickup is not a life altering experience, find something you like and get it. I'm beginning to think you should just buy a gasser and be done with it... I am so sick of hearing about the dreaded 6.ohno. Problems with your 6.0 liter = a lemon or a bad operator... Enough said...

Anything you get will be an upgrade over the 6.5 Turbo you have currently.

1wezil
03-06-2010, 01:39 AM

Buying a pickup is not a life altering experience, find something you like and get it. I'm beginning to think you should just buy a gasser and be done with it... I am so sick of hearing about the dreaded 6.ohno. Problems with your 6.0 liter = a lemon or a bad operator... Enough said...

:drinkup:OK THEN :laugh::clapping:FEEL BETTER NOW ...

AtoZ
03-06-2010, 01:45 AM
Yes - Much better...

1wezil
03-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Yes - Much better...

:laugh: GREAT ! ! ! :laugh:

mowerbrad
03-06-2010, 11:56 AM
I went to the dealer this morning to take a look at the 6.0, but it wouldn't start (I'm guessing glow-plugs) so they are going to give me a call after it gets detailed and fixed. They will also be running an oasis report for me. It looks like a great truck and looks like it could be within my price range. Its an 04, crew cab lariat...so its a really nice truck.

I understand that there is no "perfect" truck, I'm not that stupid. But I better damn well be happy with what I buy, which is why I'm getting opinions from people. I don't want to spend $14k on a new-to-me truck and then have to spend $4k on repairs 4 months after I buy it, I can't afford to do that. This is a "big" purchase so I want to make sure I do it right the first time and not regret the purchase 2 years down the road.

TXNSLighting
03-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Yes check the number of warranty claims. bad ones will exceed 4 or 5 times. and injectors, heads, turbos thats what to look out for. Just check it and tell us what it says. Also when you do get to drive see how it idles. That will tell you alot. If its even slightly rough..walk. It should be real smooth and not shake the truck.

mowerbrad
03-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Yes check the number of warranty claims. bad ones will exceed 4 or 5 times. and injectors, heads, turbos thats what to look out for. Just check it and tell us what it says. Also when you do get to drive see how it idles. That will tell you alot. If its even slightly rough..walk. It should be real smooth and not shake the truck.

I will report back later this week. I'm planning on test driving it around wednesday or thursday, so I should also have the oasis report on it at that time too.

Scagmower48
03-06-2010, 06:15 PM
I think the truck is a problem truck already. Stay away.

Mowingman
03-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Why do you want to spend all that money of a fancy truck that will, in the end, just be a work truck. Why not look for a good older F250/F350 Powerstroke. One with the XL trim that you can simply wash out. How much more "stuff" do you need than a radio and an air conditioner. All that fancy carpet, seats, trim, and power "stuff" costs a lot to buy and maintain.
Do any of these make you money?
power seats
cloth seats
cd players
tilt wheel
power windows
power door locks
fancy paint
running boards
I don't think so. In fact, I know they don't

I bought about 14 F250/F350 trucks for my lawn business over a period of several years. All had over 225,000 when I bought them, and all were "Plain Jane" XL trim work trucks. They served me well, the crews were happy with them, they were easy to maintain, and I saved many thousands of dollars over a 10 year period.
Do you really need to spend the money on a fancy truck? Wouldn't that cash look good in the bank, or invested in mowing equipment that will make money for you?
Just something to think about. Take your time, there are good, inexpensive 7.3 diesels out there.

mowerbrad
03-06-2010, 08:16 PM
If this truck were just a work truck, I would have no problem buying a base model truck. But this truck will also be my personal truck so I would really like it to be "nice", not saying it has to have heated leather seats or auto-dimming rearview mirrors, but it does need to have power windows, locks and mirrors.

My truck now is a base model truck with manual windows/locks and all. And it isn't so bad to have manual locks since it is a single cab truck, but it just isn't a nice personal truck. I don't like driving a work truck all the time, it'd be nice to have a truck that is a great personal truck along with being a great truck to work out of.

Mowingman
03-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Well, that does make a difference if it will be your day in day out personal truck, and not just a work truck.
I think you will find the Dallas, Texas area to be a great source of the type of truck you want, at really good prices. Craigslist for Dallas has a lot listed.
I know you mentioned your travel time is limited. However, if you find a truck down here, you could easily fly in one morning, drive part way home with it that day, and be back home by the end of the second day.
Heck, I once drove all the way to Dallas from Mt. Pleasant Michigan, in a one ton truck, in one "LONG" day.

1wezil
03-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Well, that does make a difference if it will be your day in day out personal truck, and not just a work truck.
I think you will find the Dallas, Texas area to be a great source of the type of truck you want, at really good prices. Craigslist for Dallas has a lot listed.
I know you mentioned your travel time is limited. However, if you find a truck down here, you could easily fly in one morning, drive part way home with it that day, and be back home by the end of the second day.
Heck, I once drove all the way to Dallas from Mt. Pleasant Michigan, in a one ton truck, in one "LONG" day.

I found my truck on e-bay from a dealer in Ohio about 10 miles from the airport flew up picked up the truck drove to Mi to pick up the trailer and back to Tenn. I bet I looked at 100 trucks before I found it ...Don't rush take your time..:nono:

mowerbrad
03-06-2010, 10:25 PM

I have thought about that, could always fly to where the truck is and just drive it back. But I would also need to get a good enough deal on it to justify spending the money on plane tickets and fuel to get back home. I'd definately be a drive back home.

I found my truck on e-bay from a dealer in Ohio about 10 miles from the airport flew up picked up the truck drove to Mi to pick up the trailer and back to Tenn. I bet I looked at 100 trucks before I found it ...Don't rush take your time..:nono:

I've been searching for over 2 months now (not really that long) but I do go and physically look at a truck about 1 or 2 times per week. And then I go through ebay/craigslist/cars.com/autotrader several times per week. So I do take a look at my fair share of trucks through the course of a week.

JMiller08
03-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Hey man take a look at this one. I just came across it on craigslist.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ctd/1631838126.html

mowerbrad
03-08-2010, 01:20 PM

I know I'm picky but it does have to be a short bed. I know that if I get a crew cab/short bed it will still be pretty long, but no matter, the short box is what the truck must have.

Thanks for posting that though!

1wezil
03-08-2010, 02:26 PM

:clapping: Man that's not a bad truck or price :drinkup: you maybe sorry later if you buy a short bed . just my thoughts :dancing:

mowerbrad
03-08-2010, 03:17 PM
I've driven both long bed trucks and short bed trucks. If its a single cab, the truck should have a long box on it. But if its an ext or crew cab, I perfer the short box. I don't put leaves/mulch in my truck bed, only blowers and trimmers usually, so a long box really isn't needed. And I just find the long box ext or crew cab trucks feel too much like I'm driving a bus all day, they aren't that manuverable, especailly when parking can be tight were I live.

TXNSLighting
03-08-2010, 05:49 PM
I know I'm picky but it does have to be a short bed. I know that if I get a crew cab/short bed it will still be pretty long, but no matter, the short box is what the truck must have.

Thanks for posting that though!

Im still supised about the short bed thing. Long beds are so much better for work! That is a deal right there man..

TXNSLighting
03-08-2010, 05:50 PM
I've driven both long bed trucks and short bed trucks. If its a single cab, the truck should have a long box on it. But if its an ext or crew cab, I perfer the short box. I don't put leaves/mulch in my truck bed, only blowers and trimmers usually, so a long box really isn't needed. And I just find the long box ext or crew cab trucks feel too much like I'm driving a bus all day, they aren't that manuverable, especailly when parking can be tight were I live.

You do realize the crew cab short bed, and super cab long bed are the same length right?

1wezil
03-08-2010, 06:00 PM
You do realize the crew cab short bed, and super cab long bed are the same length right?

I have a crew cab and full size box ...Ya it's a beast BUT I would never change you get use to it.I have not had a place I can't get into and back out and we're about 50ft long . the big truck is nice .:clapping:

mowerbrad
03-08-2010, 06:49 PM

I realize that, but I'm willing to sacrifice having a longer truck to have a full cab, at least for a crew cab.

My ideal truck would be the super cab short bed.

kyajsl
03-08-2010, 09:06 PM
me and a freind of mine both had 6.0 powerstrokes and they were pure junk .my freind pulled his out and put in a 24 valve cummins

1wezil
03-08-2010, 09:28 PM
me and a freind of mine both had 6.0 powerstrokes and they were pure junk .my freind pulled his out and put in a 24 valve cummins

What year were they built ?

kyajsl
03-08-2010, 10:29 PM
mine was a 04 his was a 05

1wezil
03-08-2010, 10:45 PM

WOW I have a 04 and love it ....what went wrong with them ...

TXNSLighting
03-08-2010, 11:36 PM

Both still not the best years. 06-07 were the best ones.

TXNSLighting
03-08-2010, 11:37 PM
I realize that, but I'm willing to sacrifice having a longer truck to have a full cab, at least for a crew cab.

My ideal truck would be the super cab short bed.

Still, i think youve got a hell of a deal with that 06..you might kick yourself...

1wezil
03-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Both still not the best years. 06-07 were the best ones.

Man I drove a 07 for a few days and it was a big wimp no power compared to my 04....

mowerbrad
03-22-2010, 06:37 PM
So for you guys who have been following this thread or know anything about the 6.0's, I was finally able to test drive the '04 6.0 powerstroke. It drove pretty smooth, at first the tranny seemed to shift a little harder, but after running through the gears once, it never had a problem shifting again. Very smooth shifting from there on out.

I ran an Oasis report on it and it came back with ZERO warranty work done on it. Its got 156,000 miles, cleans up very nicely, and is everything I want and then some. The only problem I have is that the price (after some negotiations) would be $17,900+tax/fees.

Any thoughts on this?

JMiller08
03-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Seems about the average price around here. If you can afford it and it runs good go for it!

Moto52
03-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Man I drove a 07 for a few days and it was a big wimp no power compared to my 04....

Have you owned your truck from new??? if not someone probably put a tow tune on it before you owned it cause there should be no difference in power from yours to the 07...

Moto52
03-22-2010, 07:07 PM
So for you guys who have been following this thread or know anything about the 6.0's, I was finally able to test drive the '04 6.0 powerstroke. It drove pretty smooth, at first the tranny seemed to shift a little harder, but after running through the gears once, it never had a problem shifting again. Very smooth shifting from there on out.

I ran an Oasis report on it and it came back with ZERO warranty work done on it. Its got 156,000 miles, cleans up very nicely, and is everything I want and then some. The only problem I have is that the price (after some negotiations) would be $17,900+tax/fees.

Any thoughts on this?

I'm not sure why someone would want to buy a truck with the engine that holds the record for most warranty claims that ford has ever had...

mowerbrad
03-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Well just minutes after posting, I was searching through autotrader.com and ran across a 2001 F350 Lariat crew cab with the 7.3 powerstroke...150,000 miles. Its in great condition and is at a small dealership about 15 minutes from me. So I'm going to be seeing if that truck is still available, they're asking $14,995. If I can get them down on price a little and get it for that price out the door, I may go for it...so long that it checks out well mechanically.