PDA

View Full Version : Knats in mulch today?

robert payer
06-11-2002, 09:06 PM
Today supplier delivered 12 yards of brown mulch. We received a bonus also. Approximately thousands of what I believe to be bugs called knats(Spelling?). They were around the pile all day. When the pile was spread into the beds the problem seemed to be no longer apparent. Customer has not said anything. Supplier should still be paid correct? What are your thoughts on this total matter?

This mulch was the color enhanced shreaded pallet stuff. I have never had this problem before.

robert payer
06-11-2002, 10:19 PM
Ok it is gnats. I new it was miss spelled when I did not find it in the dictionary.

Any help on the gnats issue?

LawnSmith
06-11-2002, 11:04 PM
gnats are attracted to several things. some of which are heat and decomposition. mulch(even the shredded pallot kind) are attractants to gnants and other insects. mulch decomposes and when this happens it creates heat, a lot of heat. the core of a huge mulch pile can get so hot that it combusts and starts fire. so, thats most likely the problem. it shouldnt last long though because when mulch is spread out it releases heat a whole lot quicker than when its piled.

GrassMaster84
06-11-2002, 11:10 PM
I agree with LawnSmith, Gnats are attracted to any type of manure or decomposing materials, but I am surprised to see them around the mulch?...

Tony Harrell
06-13-2002, 06:37 AM
Are you sure it wasn't swarmer ants/termites?