PDA

View Full Version : A job I didn't get.

Richard Martin
03-01-2010, 04:25 AM
It's getting a little competitive here. The job is for a homeowners association. It had minimal blowing. 2.5 acres of grass in 3 different areas cut 31 times a year. 3,000 feet of trimming. Minimal edging. Approx 250 sq feet of mulching in 2 separate areas. Year round weeding of mulched areas. 2 X a year shrub trimming of about 20 bushes. Litter pickup on the 2.5 acres year round.

My price was $441.66 in 12 equal payments for an annual price of $5,300 a year.

How does that sound? I was underbid but I don't know by how much. I am a solo so I have no costs associated with employees.

Richard Martin
03-01-2010, 09:50 AM
46 views and no comments? Don't be bashful, tell me the truth.

Richard Martin
03-01-2010, 09:52 AM
I do know that the guy that won has at least 1 regular employee. Maybe 2.

IN2MOWN
03-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Could you break down what each individual service was going to cost?

grassman177
03-01-2010, 09:56 AM
sounds pretty ok on price, but how muc are you chargingto mow if you dont mind, that would help paint a bigger pic, as it is a huge part of the price. i assume you are doing apps too.

Richard Martin
03-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Could you break down what each individual service was going to cost?

Mowing was bid at $145 a week X 31 cuts. $4,495.
The remaining $800 covered the rest of the contract. They buy the pine straw.

Richard Martin
03-01-2010, 09:59 AM
No applications.

IN2MOWN
03-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Mowing was bid at $145 a week X 31 cuts. $4,495.
The remaining $800 covered the rest of the contract. They buy the pine straw.

In all honesty that seems a little low to me.

2.5 acres with 3000 feet of trimming I would of priced about $45 - $60 more then you did.

Everything else seems about right on although I cant give my opinion about pinestraw because we dont use it around here.

Id be interested to know what the other guy bid...

N.TX
03-01-2010, 10:27 AM
If it was easy that seems like a good price. You could probably go a little lower and still make money but it wouldnt be worth it to go much lower.

Lawnut101
03-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Sounds pretty fair to me. Don't sweat it. Move onto the next one.

Richard Martin
03-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Sounds pretty fair to me. Don't sweat it. Move onto the next one.

I'm not worried about it. I just kinda put this out there for the guys that say that a lot of guys like me don't charge enough money. I'm getting as much as the market will bear and in this case, it was too much.

IN2MOWN
03-01-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm not worried about it. I just kinda put this out there for the guys that say that a lot of guys like me don't charge enough money. I'm getting as much as the market will bear and in this case, it was too much.

That kind of sucks because around here that would be considered a mid to low bid.

Just goes to show how different it is around the country.

JayD
03-01-2010, 03:07 PM
I thought it was a good price. Sometimes I wonder just how many of these bids are for nothing anyway, the reason being is this. I think sometimes these people who are in charge has a family member or a buddy who wants to do it but because the higher-ups make them get more than one estimate, they do, and keep getting them until they make sure that their buddy has the lower one.....When I look back at a couple bids I did when I first got in this and know that I bid way to low and still did not get it. Just my 2 cents....

exmark232
03-01-2010, 03:22 PM
dont sweat it i use to worry about that stuff but you will get something els thats a nice contract to have, you cant always get what you bid

Richard Martin
03-01-2010, 05:05 PM
dont sweat it i use to worry about that stuff but you will get something els thats a nice contract to have, you cant always get what you bid

erictm007
03-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Just a thought, HOAs choose companies for different reasons. The price is not always the most important. Sometimes it could be qualityof work as viewed by the HOA. The type of equipment used by the company, or refernces. Some HOAs send out bid request to find out if their service company is within the acceptable rate for the area. This dose not reflect on the service company, its just a choice the HOA made.

chesterlawn
03-01-2010, 07:36 PM
You guys better start sweating it. Do you think it's going to get better next year? No way, this buisness is going in the crapper fast.

gene gls
03-01-2010, 09:33 PM
You guys better start sweating it. Do you think it's going to get better next year? No way, this buisness is going in the crapper fast.

Its in the crapper already. I had more profit per mowing 12 years ago with slower mowers. Cost of equipment is sky high, new guys starting are real cheap, and the times are very tough now. To keep any business you have to watch your price very close.

gene gls
03-01-2010, 09:42 PM

I think they did you a favor. Litter pick up on 2.5 acres for 52 weeks, plus mulching, plus trimming 2 times, all at $ 15.38 per week. No Thanks....

SLMGT
03-01-2010, 11:17 PM
It would be interesting to know what the winning bid was. Not considering the trash pickup and small amount of mulch & weeding, the 31 cuts come to ~$171 per cut. If the job was on, or was close to my normal route, I might could go as low as $4,650 or $150 per cut. The year round trash pick up would give me the most heart burn. If you hear what the winning bid was please let us know.

nepatsfan
03-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Suprised you didn't get it. I would like to see the other bids.