PDA

View Full Version : Astro timers

irrig8r
03-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Looking for a plug in that will work in a Vista or FX trans.

Current newsletter from CLL offers the Intermatic DT620CL.

Has anyone used this?

I went out looking for one locally... Ace, OSH, Lowe's, HD... nobody has it.

http://www.intermatic.com/products/timers/consumer%20indoor%20timers/digital%20timers/dt620cl.aspx

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Gregg. I have not used many Intermatic timers as every time I sample / test them I find issues. Be it battery life, low temp ratings are not sufficient, sticking internal relays, etc.

Recently I was tipped off to a big problem with the Intermatic EJ500C in wall timer when used to control LV Transformers. Apparently it 'chatters' and causes all sorts of issues. If you read the product literature it clearly states it is not to be used for anything but the control of incandescent lamps. Buyer beware! http://www.intermatic.com/products/timers/consumer%20indoor%20timers/in-wall%20timers/ej500c.aspx

As for the DT620CL all I could find for you was Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-DT620CL-Indoor-Astronomic-Digital/dp/B001KBZUMG

irrig8r
03-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Interesting about the chatter problem. Other brands of timers I saw on the shelf noted on them that they would work with CFLs. Didn't think there would be an issue, but I guess there is.

S&MLL
03-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Gregg Those timers are indoor only. When they first released those they would not work in mdl units. The outlet was on the left side.... No way to plug in.

I have had good luck with http://www.intermatic.com/products/timers/consumer%20outdoor%20timers/digital%20timers/hb800rcl.aspx

Only problem is not a clean install on the outside. But hey its still 100 bucks less then the n.s. etc-400. Just keep away from spray heads

emby
03-01-2010, 03:15 PM
http://www.aubetech.com/products/produitsDetails.php?noProduit=83&noLangue=2

Maybe this?

irrig8r
03-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Gregg Those timers are indoor only. When they first released those they would not work in mdl units. The outlet was on the left side.... No way to plug in.

Are you saying that they are not rated for use inside a transformer cabinet?

The cabinet is designed to accomodate an mechanical or digital "appliance" timer, neither of which are rated for outdoor use.

Or are you saying they just won't fit?

BTW, they have outlets on both sides now...

Oh, and one other thing... I thought Vista said they were making their own transformers now, like maybe a year or so ago.

This MT-300 says "Manufactured by Justin" inside with a date of 12/15/09. What's up with that?

http://www.justininc.com/multitapprofessional.htm

http://vistapro.com/Product.aspx?ProdID=371&CatID=4&typeID=7

S&MLL
03-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Gregg I guess your right about nothing really being rating inside a transformer. Besides for outdoor timers.

When it only had one plug it wouldnt fit... Almost like they did it on purpose. This was also 2 years ago now.

irrig8r
03-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Gregg I guess your right about nothing really being rating inside a transformer. Besides for outdoor timers.

When it only had one plug it wouldnt fit... Almost like they did it on purpose. This was also 2 years ago now.

There was another one I tried that wouldn't fit . It had more of an arched top.

It was called the DT 27.

Here it is: http://www.intermatic.com/products/timers/consumer%20indoor%20timers/digital%20timers/dt27c.aspx

Mayor_tx
03-02-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm not trying to get you all off topic, but what other type or brand of astro timer is everyone here using? We've tried Intermatic's astro timer that was mounted out of the box and they were just a pain to setup, but the price was right

Recently we have used control scapes timer that mounts in the trans, is very easy to setup, but a bit pricey.

Any other recommendations?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Nice to speak to the "Mayor of Texas" on this bright sunny day. :)

I recommend the Aube Ti 035. It installs easily, sets up in a flash, and they stand behind their 3 year warranty.

Regards

Pro-Scapes
03-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Gregg. I have not used many Intermatic timers as every time I sample / test them I find issues. Be it battery life, low temp ratings are not sufficient, sticking internal relays, etc.

Recently I was tipped off to a big problem with the Intermatic EJ500C in wall timer when used to control LV Transformers. Apparently it 'chatters' and causes all sorts of issues. If you read the product literature it clearly states it is not to be used for anything but the control of incandescent lamps. Buyer beware! http://www.intermatic.com/products/timers/consumer%20indoor%20timers/in-wall%20timers/ej500c.aspx

As for the DT620CL all I could find for you was Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-DT620CL-Indoor-Astronomic-Digital/dp/B001KBZUMG

the DT27 was a miserable timer to use too. James is spot on with the battery life. If you bought one of these timers you would have to basically put new batteries in it right out of the package (FYI batteries can cost as much as the timer)

I think I have 2 still out in the field out of 2 dozen. These 2 are at the same job but also powered by the backup generator at the home. I had some problems with aubes at 2 locations but since have repaired the problem.

Most reliable timer system to date. Intermatic pool pump timer with a photocell installed on the side of it controlling 4 transformers.

S&MLL
03-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Gregg the dt27 is the one that only has the 1 plug.. Sorry they looked similar.

I have no issues with the intermatic I posted earlier. Very cheap and as long as the trans is hidden it does just fine. For under 20 dollars you can get an astro timer that accounts for dst. Which the aube does not. I dunno guys I just hate photocells.... Always have.

James or whoever did aube ever get that timer to accept dst? And did anyone besides N.S. ever put one in s.s. box with 2 outlets. Loved the etc400 just is expensive. Any alot of my customers like to use the second outlet during holidays for christmas lights

emby
03-02-2010, 09:41 PM
I am sure James will come in here after to comment. The Aube TI035 is a switch timer in which you input your Lat. and Long. and it automatically adjusts the on/off times. You can set it up so for example the lights will come on at dusk using the solar part of the control and the one program will turn them off at 11pm. If you do not input a program it will run dusk to dawn and change the on/off times throughout the season.
I always use these when I am installing a dedicated outside receptacle for my tranformers. Come out of the breaker panel and into the switch then out to the receptacle.
I even have one controling my pool pump at my house.I have not had one complaint about them. Very strong battery built in too as we have a lot of power outages here.
At the beginning of this thread he was looking for a plug in type and that is why I posted the other Aube timer. Not ideal but I do not know of a plug in astro timer.
Hope this helps.

Ken

irrig8r
03-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Ken, both the DT27 and the DT 620CL (and the DT620CH) are plug in timers with the sunrise/ sunset times. I can't recall if the DT 27 asked for lat./ long. info.

I am very familiar with Aube as Nightscaping has been offering it for years as one of their modules. I only had an issue with one out of maybe 2 dozen.

This for use in a transformer ( like Justin, MDL, Vista, FX, some older Uniques I've run across (not sure about their current design) and many others that have a "receptacle" built in where a timer can be plugged in and into.

Nightscaping has never offered this style that I am aware of. The first one I ever saw like this was from FX in the early 90's. The beauty of it was that a cheap but generally reliable mechanical timer could be used and easily replaced off the shelf of the local hardware store if there was a problem.

The digital/ astro version offers more options and (maybe) better reliability with fewer (or none) seasonal adjustments.

Billy has offered his reasons for dropping the DT27. I'm willing to give the DT620 a try after talking to others who have used it with no problems.

Maybe the advantages of doing it your way are the possibility of multiple receptacles off one timer... (not sure how many you can run) and being able to adjust the timer inside the house?

emby
03-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Hey Gregg,

I believe the Aube TI035 is good for 2400W or a 1HP motor. So it would be feasible to run a few transformers off of this one.
In the past I went to great lengths to install one of them by a back door so that the customer could operate the switch (from inside) manually after the programming was done. They wanted to let the dog out really late at night so it was a nice inexpensive touch to add into the design.

Ken

niteliters
03-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Looking for a plug in that will work in a Vista or FX trans.

Current newsletter from CLL offers the Intermatic DT620CL.

Has anyone used this?

I went out looking for one locally... Ace, OSH, Lowe's, HD... nobody has it.

http://www.intermatic.com/products/timers/consumer%20indoor%20timers/digital%20timers/dt620cl.aspx

never used fx transformer but we wire aube astro in vista. the old power switch...love it in this part of the country

jshimmin
03-05-2010, 08:05 AM
I have a combined 70 of Intermatic's 620 and 800 series units in the field. Fairly even split between the two. The batteries are an issue as they need to be replaced annually at a minimum. I have seen several loose their programming for no apparent reason. Typically takes a hard reset and new batteries to get them to come back to life.
I am concerned about their long term availability as Intermatic has told me the line will be dropped with the recent changes. The big box stores have already dropped them from their inventory.

irrig8r
03-05-2010, 12:04 PM
never used fx transformer but we wire aube astro in vista. the old power switch...love it in this part of the country

Do you have any photos of how that's done?

Do you end up with uncovered line voltage connections, or can you fit a junction box in the bottom of the cabinet?

I've liked the Aube TI034-3W, as I've used them in NS Powercenters and standalone ETC-400s, except for that DST issue.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Not to be a killjoy... but wiring in a 120V module, into the interior of a transformer that was not specifically designed for the inclusion and mounting of said device, would not pass an electrical inspection around here. It may work, but it could also put your license/business/reputation on the line.

Pro-Scapes
03-06-2010, 09:17 AM
the DT27 you do not input lat and long. It just asks for your region... north...center...south if I am not mistaken. With the single plug it requires you to flip the timer socket in most MDL models. I would not reccomend this timer. Kind of hit or miss.

With the aube t1035 you can manipulate the settings if your client wants the lights on a bit earlier or later.I also have some doctor clients who had me set program 2 so the lights come on for a few hours in the morning. On new constructions we have been trying to specify locations inside the home for these switches usually in the garage.

The OLD mdl timers before they changed em that were avalible from CAST were very reliable. This coupled with a photocell has provided no trouble for me in my early systems. Some have gone 4 years with only an inexpensive AA battery change.