PDA

View Full Version : Natural Stone Retaining Wall

Ottawa Hardscaper
03-01-2010, 10:55 AM
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on building a natural stone wall. It is a free standing decorative wall. The wall is about 100' long 3' high and about 2'6" base bantering back as i go up. The rocks range in size from 4" to 2'. There are some flat rocks but most are round or angular. Any tips would help thanks.

DVS Hardscaper
03-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Award Winning Tip Number 1:

Wear Steel Toe Shoes

Danscapes
03-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Not to be a smartass (well kind of), stack the rocks and make it level.

Your name says your a hardscaper, so this should come naturally to you.

Rocha_Construction
03-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Do you mean a wall like this one?

http://www.rochaconstruction.com/walls/planter_wall_01_thumb.jpg
Stone Planter Wall (http://www.rochaconstruction.com/walls/planter_wall_01.jpg)

I guess the best idea would be to :

- Build a nice and leveled footer.
- Bury at least one course and a half of stone.
- Build it battered.
- Use a double row.

But how come are you a hardscaper asking such simple question?

DVS Hardscaper
03-01-2010, 07:53 PM
....But how come are you a hardscaper asking such simple question?

Probably a lurker.

4Russl5
03-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Call a dry stone mason to do the job properly. You can't get enough 'tips' to do it properly.

4Russl5
03-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Look up HL Masonry in Holstein, Ontario, Dean Mc Clellan. I have worked with him over three years and he does fine work.

4Russl5
03-02-2010, 09:45 PM
http://drystonewallingcanada.blogspot.com/ Try this.... He can point you in the right direction with someone closer if need be.

4Russl5
03-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Do you mean a wall like this one?

http://www.rochaconstruction.com/walls/planter_wall_01_thumb.jpg
Stone Planter Wall (http://www.rochaconstruction.com/walls/planter_wall_01.jpg)

I guess the best idea would be to :

- Build a nice and leveled footer.
- Bury at least one course and a half of stone.
- Build it battered.
- Use a double row.

But how come are you a hardscaper asking such simple question?
The question is complex to be fair to the person who asked it. If you knew more, you would have several paragraphs of 'best ideas' to help him. I am a trained dry stone mason, that holds certifications for building structural 'retaining walls'. We don't guess. We build the same way every time to have consistent results that we can warranty, and the client can understand what they are paying for. To learn more about dry stone masonry visit the Dry Stone Conservancy site, or the Great Brittan Dry Stone Walling Association site. Both are more helpful to educate yourself & your client with the building technique.

Rocha_Construction
03-04-2010, 11:58 AM
The question is complex to be fair to the person who asked it. If you knew more, you would have several paragraphs of 'best ideas' to help him. I am a trained dry stone mason, that holds certifications for building structural 'retaining walls'. We don't guess. We build the same way every time to have consistent results that we can warranty, and the client can understand what they are paying for. To learn more about dry stone masonry visit the Dry Stone Conservancy site, or the Great Brittan Dry Stone Walling Association site. Both are more helpful to educate yourself & your client with the building technique.

If I am reading this correctly... are you questioning my knowledge and expertise with stone when you say "If you knew more"?

Be careful when judging other people or companies that quick. :nono: Even if it is the internet.

First, it is not a complicated question. It is just unusual to see a hardscaper asking how to build that type of wall.

Second, he only asked for some tips, not a 3 hour tutorial on how to do a job he should be supposed to know already. Why should then write "several paragraphs full of ideas"? There are plenty of DIY websites that do that already.

Third, when I said, "I guess the best idea would be to".
I did not meant: "I guess the wall should be built like this"
but instead: "I guess these would be the best tips or ideas".

So, what are you trying to say?

4Russl5
03-05-2010, 03:25 AM
No judging involved here.

Are you a dry stone mason that holds certification through a standardized organization?
I am through the DSC. We, as well as people who hold certification through the Great Britain Dry Stone Walling Assoc., build to the same specifications for each feature.
Failure to apply one rule, and you don't have a structural wall, or fence, or arch, or bridge, or check end.
It is just that simple.

Also, wet masonry and dry stone masonry are two different things.

We don't guess with dry stone masonry, and wet masons don't guess with mortars, or lime.
When someone asks for help in this area of our expertise, I respond in a way that is helpful, honest, and clear.

This is not a simple question. Maybe you should have thought through your response in way that was more respectful towards your peer and .

You are right though about him only asking for tips.

I tend to be thorough. Hence my work with the Dry Stone Conservancy in Kentucky. I learn, practice, test and come away with a solid foundation for what I do.

You are reading this. I am questioning your reply to the poster.