PDA

View Full Version : Dump trailer for landscape

jrodgers
03-01-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm looking into getting a dump trailer for the up coming season. Does anyone have any input as to what brands are best? What to look for? ETC. And who has a good price in the South Jersey area.The main brand in South NJ seems to be Bri-Mar. I will be using it to do everything I do with my dump truck (soil, mulch, grass, so on and so on).

MDLawn
03-01-2010, 12:54 PM
I guess from my personal experience here are some things I would consider.
Some of these you may have thought of already.

1.) The longer the better. I have a 10ft and it is way too small. Run out of room way too fast.

2.) GVWR - get the highest you can (10-14k) just be weary of state laws if you tow a trailer to heavy for the vehicle DOT may not be happy. Again you can run out of weight real fast with stone or topsoil. Also if you own or rent equipment you can use it to haul the equipment too.

3.) Brand is probably similar to a Ford, Chevy, Dodge thing. Some like one brand and hate another. I see a lot of Bri-mar, JDJ(canadian), and Sure-Trac around here. But there are plenty others. Bri-Mar offers a deck over with fold down sides to easily accept pallets. Seems like a helpul thing if you do any hardscapoing or get a lot of stuff on pallets.

4.) What's included. What I mean by this is my trailer i purchased came with some stuff like a roller tarp, scissor lift, etc. and was cheaper that a Bri-Mar without all that. So see what is included.

Just some things I can think of, especially when i sell and upgrade mine rather then just impulse buy again :hammerhead:

albhb3
03-01-2010, 02:50 PM
^ agreed the bigger the better I would say get one where you can have either an electronic tarp cover or a cover where you can have like the ones on a grain truck as you can see I hate TARPS

jjacobsgrounds
03-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Considering using a trailer to haul and dump mulch in spring, wondering if it is a pain loading a mower if it comes with ramps. Seems a lot of the dumps I see are pretty high off the ground.

Look Sharp... Be Sharp
www.jjacobsgrounds.com

jrodgers
03-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the input....

Dreams To Designs
03-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Check with DTW in Turnersville, Franklin in Berlin and Hect Trailer in Tom's River and find out what brands they have and what can they service. Who or where it can be serviced is often times more important than a specific brand name. Bri-Mar has many dealers which should equate to good service and great pricing competition.

Kirk

ryde307
03-02-2010, 10:27 AM
We have a PJ dump. It is great and lots of them around here. Also see Bri-mar. With the PJ my only problem is it seems the powder coat isnt the best the corners and cracks have rust after 3 years but I may be expecting to much.
I would get a scissor lift.
Wheel and deal. Get everything extra you can. Ex: D-rings added in, remote if possible, spare wheel, and so on...

LB1234
03-02-2010, 12:52 PM
have had a bri-mar since i think '03. Just now starting to show some wear. The flooring is slightly warped and I have a leak in one of the cylinders. Besides your normal issues (tire wear, battery replacement) it has been trouble free.

The model I have is 14' with 4" drop axles. IMHO a must for landscaping. easier to load equipment (skids, excavators, etc.) and my dingo can reach over the side and dump into it. It has a 12k GVWR and just shy of a legal 4 ton payload. It has a compartment underneath for storage of our hand tools (shovels, rakes, etc.). With 12" side boards (we made ourselves to save cost and painted our name/logo for advertise) we can carry 9 cubic yards of mulch easily...we've gotten 11 but it is tight AND tall. No need to go with electric tarp roller, just keep the tarp roller well lubricated and it isn't a problem for one person to roll/unroll. If you are gonna transport stone it's not going to be very efficient, you can only get about 2.5-3yds of stone before you are at or above legal weight. I have the two cylinder dump and like it alot. We opted for the barn doors so we can load equipment and it also has the ability to swing.

We use our trailer for most everything. Mulch delivery/transport, we can get up to six pallets of sod on there, two pallets of hardscape materials, leaf removal, equipment transport, we even use it as a dumpster (have our NJDEP lic for self generated waste).

good luck

jrodgers
03-03-2010, 11:30 AM
I was out looking at them yesterday (the Bri-mar) and they had a 12,000gvw, 14ft low profile for just over $7k, then they said they could order the same one (low profile) in a 16ft 14,000gvw for another $800.
I am just wondering if this would be a better option (16ft), or would it be too big? Around here the total weight cant be over, I think 26,000gvw or you have to have a CDL. I mainly want it for clean-ups and mulch and maybe for a machine if I need it. I have a grain body dump now (12ft), and a 2500hd Dmax as vehicles and Im not a big co.
My thoughts are that when the others are cutting I could mulch with one or two guys with my 2500hd. Thats my problem in spring is that mulch goes from 6 days a week, to 3 days when the lawns start kicking. Any thoughts?

LB1234
03-03-2010, 11:45 AM
I have a chevy 8.0 gas...legally I can tow up to 12k (its really the stopping you are worried about NOT the get up and go). If you go to 14k I would make sure your truck is LEGALLY aloud to tow that amount. For me, I wouldn't want to go to 16'...just too big to back into driveways and the like. My landscape trailer is fine at 24' (total length) but I'm not backing it into drives to get the mowers as close as possible...I AM doing that with mulch or to get it close to leaf piles to suck up.

I believe the 12k vs. 14k & 14' vs. 16' is a matter of personal preference. Also, consider (don't quote me on this, double check) but if you go to 14k you are stuck with a pintle and IMHO they are a pain in the arse to back up versus a ball..which I know you can get at 12k rated.

scaglawnsnj
03-22-2010, 06:50 PM
If you have a 12' dump bed. Why the need for a dump trailer?
Im selling a 10' ezdumper for 3000- firm.
Its always got the job done for me. let me know