PDA

View Full Version : What oil do you use?

CoupesCuts
03-01-2010, 01:40 PM
I think this will be a hot topic and I'm interested in what you all have to say, so here it is:

What oil do you use in your machines?

Conventional or Synthetic?

What brand?

How does it work for you?

Turf Dawg
03-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Air cooled mowers Mobil 1 handheld mix Amsoil

ProcsLC
03-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Castrol conven. been using it for years, no problems.

CoupesCuts
03-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Air cooled mowers Mobil 1 handheld mix Amsoil
Why synthetic and how often do you change it?

SangerLawn
03-01-2010, 02:45 PM
We use Pennzoil in all of our mowers. Change oil every Tuesday. Been doing this for 4 years.

We also have been using Super Tech boat out board oil for all of our 2cycle engines for about 6 years now. I was told by several mechanics that out board oil is the best way to go on any 2cycle engines that you are going to be running hard. We haven’t had any problems out of any of the equipment and a lot of stuff has out lived there life expectances. Considering its $11.00 per gallon and making our stuff live longer then its supposed too, I came to the conclusion that is a great deal.

Turf Dawg
03-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Why synthetic and how often do you change it?

I just think in a air cooled engine in our Texas heat it is better, no proof though. I change oil at 100hrs and filter at 200hrs. I do run the first 50hrs with conventional oil though and then switch to Mobil 1.

Darryl G
03-01-2010, 03:54 PM
I use Kohler straight 30 in the mowers and opti-2 in the handhelds.

Gunnels Grounds & More
03-01-2010, 04:29 PM
I use shell Rotella synthetic 10-40

Richard Martin
03-01-2010, 04:34 PM
I use Pennzoil 10w30. 100 hours on the oil, 200 on the filter. Just like the manual says. I've never worn out an engine.

grassman177
03-01-2010, 05:07 PM
we are at 50 hrs oil and filter, using , hell i dont remember but it works. i know our oil is plenty dirty at 50 and could never go 100hrs, that is way long. our engines state at 50hr intervals except the diesels go 100, but conversly it states 200 on them but we like fresh oil.

we dont get much past about 1200-1600 hrs on a air cooled engine though b4 you can tell it has worked alot, have blown a few that had issues, but over all they still run but we get new mowers at that point.

Merkava_4
03-01-2010, 05:30 PM
How do you guys figure out how many hours is on your equipment?

Do you guys have hour meters on everything? :confused:

kylecal91
03-01-2010, 05:40 PM
I use Amsoil in everything. Figure it's a cheap alternative to using cheap oil. I use all synthetic even in my diesels, runs cooler, better performance, longer life... the list goes on and on. I recommend Amsoil but any good name brand synthetic is good. Just look at the price first, that will tell you which one to buy...

P&C Lawn Care
03-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Used to used Mobil 1 full synthetic but that got expensive, now we use Supertech (Walmart) synthetic for all gas engines and Rotello synthetic for diesel.

65hoss
03-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Regular Rotella 15w-40 and Opti 2 on 2cycle.

a_mow_zing
03-01-2010, 06:46 PM
We use Pennzoil in all of our mowers. Change oil every Tuesday. Been doing this for 4 years.

We also have been using Super Tech boat out board oil for all of our 2cycle engines for about 6 years now. I was told by several mechanics that out board oil is the best way to go on any 2cycle engines that you are going to be running hard. We havenít had any problems out of any of the equipment and a lot of stuff has out lived there life expectances. Considering its $11.00 per gallon and making our stuff live longer then its supposed too, I came to the conclusion that is a great deal.

I hope you do realize that outboard oil is intended for water cooled engines only, right? I would guess that these mechanics are dealer mechanics trying to sell more new machines.

grassman177
03-01-2010, 06:59 PM
every machine has an hour meter, of course. only cheaper models dont. of course it is easy to add one so i recommend it

rcslawncare
03-01-2010, 07:18 PM
I run the Kohler straight 30, and Stihl synthetic in the handhelds. I change every 50 since I don't rack up hours as fast due to part time use.

DLCS
03-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Gas engines straight 30 Valvoline, every 100hrs oil and filter. Diesel every 250 hrs for oil and filter. I use the recomended JD oil for the diesel.

If you need a hour meter get a Tiny Tach.

CoupesCuts
03-01-2010, 07:27 PM
I use Amsoil in everything. Figure it's a cheap alternative to using cheap oil. I use all synthetic even in my diesels, runs cooler, better performance, longer life... the list goes on and on. I recommend Amsoil but any good name brand synthetic is good. Just look at the price first, that will tell you which one to buy...
Do you have any proof that the synthetic makes you engine run longer? I hear everyone saying this but I have never found someone who has run two of the same engines side by side on synthetic and one conventional.

CoupesCuts
03-01-2010, 07:32 PM
we are at 50 hrs oil and filter, using , hell i dont remember but it works. i know our oil is plenty dirty at 50 and could never go 100hrs, that is way long. our engines state at 50hr intervals except the diesels go 100, but conversly it states 200 on them but we like fresh oil.

we dont get much past about 1200-1600 hrs on a air cooled engine though b4 you can tell it has worked alot, have blown a few that had issues, but over all they still run but we get new mowers at that point.
This is the problem I'm running into. I was using Quaker State SAE 30 and by 50hrs it was black. I could never make it to the 100hr interval. So I decided since I like the Opti-2 so much, I'd try the Opti-4. It's not synthetic like most people think. Even after using that (which is way expensive) I couldn't make it past the 50hr mark. This is why I started this thread so I could find out what is working for you guys out there. Am I going to get 100hrs out of a synthetic? Or should I just go back to my Quaker State and change it often. Which is better? Or is there another option?

DLCS
03-01-2010, 07:37 PM
This is the problem I'm running into. I was using Quaker State SAE 30 and by 50hrs it was black. I could never make it to the 100hr interval. So I decided since I like the Opti-2 so much, I'd try the Opti-4. It's not synthetic like most people think. Even after using that (which is way expensive) I couldn't make it past the 50hr mark. This is why I started this thread so I could find out what is working for you guys out there. Am I going to get 100hrs out of a synthetic? Or should I just go back to my Quaker State and change it often. Which is better? Or is there another option?

I've noticed how Quaker State changes color quickly but you can't always go by color.

SangerLawn
03-01-2010, 07:45 PM
I hope you do realize that outboard oil is intended for water cooled engines only, right? I would guess that these mechanics are dealer mechanics trying to sell more new machines.

Actually both people it came from ether own shops or manage shops and i have been freinds with them for years. I asked the same question and they both said that doesn’t matter. Both of them said the oil is made for high torch and temp motors no matter what cools the motor.

Ether way I know my equipment has out lasting most other companies that I know so I have no complaints about it. The oil is cheaper then most other oils and my equipment is lasting twice as long as other people.

Richard Martin
03-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Or is there another option?

Sure there is. Just take some 50 hour oil and have it tested. Blackstone Labs will do it for around $20. That may seem like a lot but the number of oil changes you'll stop doing unnecessarly will more than pay for the test. You can't look at oil and see if it's contaminated beyond it's abilty to hold more "garbage" or whether the additives and oil are worn out.

2rkae
03-01-2010, 09:14 PM
I use schaeffer synthetic blend.My friends equipment is run extremely hard he has a 27 air cooled kohler with over 4000 hours and a 33 air cooled generac with alot of hours they just keep going.the kohler had a oil leak and had run completely out of oil.the mechanic tore the engine down and said it was the cleanest engine he had ever seen with that many hours and that there was no wear .that was alot of hours ago not at 4000.That was good enough to convince me because I no his equipment is rode hard and put up wet.his oil changes are probably not as often as it should be.i use schaeffer on my mower and vehicles now 27 liquid cooled kawasaki.I change at 50 hours. does anyone else use this oil and i am curious as to how it compares to amsoil.

a_mow_zing
03-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Actually both people it came from ether own shops or manage shops and i have been freinds with them for years. I asked the same question and they both said that doesnít matter. Both of them said the oil is made for high torch and temp motors no matter what cools the motor.

Ether way I know my equipment has out lasting most other companies that I know so I have no complaints about it. The oil is cheaper then most other oils and my equipment is lasting twice as long as other people.

Alright, I am glad its working out for you. But it should probably be said that if an owner is worried about warranty work that if dealers, most dealers anyway, find out that you are using outboard oil it will immediately void any engine related warranty. Additionally, I have heard that outboard oil isnt as low ash thus it could cause spark arrestor screen problems, but that is easily solved.

IntegrityGuy
03-01-2010, 09:25 PM
You cant judge oil by the color.

Have you ever noticed that when you change the oil in your truck it is still black when you got to check it???

It just is going to be black. IT does not mean its bad though.

Alan0354
03-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Mobil One 10-30 and Amsoil here. Nothing but the best for my babies!!!

STIHL GUY
03-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Stihl HP ultra for the 2 cycle stuff and penzoil for the mower leafloader and WB blower

a_mow_zing
03-01-2010, 09:37 PM
You cant judge oil by the color.

Have you ever noticed that when you change the oil in your truck it is still black when you got to check it???

It just is going to be black. IT does not mean its bad though.

Nope, never noticed that right after an oil change....I believe that means that either the filter wasnt changed or you didnt get all the oil out.

kylecal91
03-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Oil LOOKS dirty way way way before it needs changed, your oil will look black a month after you changed it, that's just the way it is. As long as it doesn't have bits of grit in it and have the consistency of chocolate milk then you're good.

rain man
03-01-2010, 09:45 PM
We use Penzoil Platinum on two Briggs & Stratton 18.5 engines. Change it at 50 hours per recomendation of the John Deere operators manual. Engines showing lots of wear though at 1000 hours so I can't say if its helped.

Alan0354
03-02-2010, 04:08 AM
We use Penzoil Platinum on two Briggs & Stratton 18.5 engines. Change it at 50 hours per recomendation of the John Deere operators manual. Engines showing lots of wear though at 1000 hours so I can't say if its helped.

Maybe you should go to synthetic if you follow the recommended change interval. I can tell you all my cars last 200k miles and still the engine sound good and not burning oil. All I did was change oil every 3000 miles. My Volvo is 19 years old, way over 200K( the odometer broke looooong long time ago). Things start falling off, but the engine still very smooth and the tranny works perfect. All I did is oil change every 3000 miles, tranny fluid change every 10000 miles or so. And I drive the car pretty hard.

Richard Martin
03-02-2010, 04:51 AM
Maybe you should go to synthetic if you follow the recommended change interval.

Pennzoil Platinum is a synthetic. They think pretty highly of it over at Bob Is The Oil Guy. It's what goes in my wife's Cobalt.

Merkava_4
03-02-2010, 05:09 AM
I've been using Valvoline 10W-40 in my Briggs & Stratton engines. Works good. :)

Sammy
03-02-2010, 07:08 AM
I use Pennzoil 10w30 and Pennzoil 30wt in everything.

Stihl oil for the 2-cycle mix.

Grass887
03-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Regular Castrol, I was going to switch to synthetic, but my dealer said it would be worthless and a waste of money.

Alrighty, Castrol it is.

Seems to work just dandy.

ProStreetCamaro
03-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Air cooled engines run hot. Heat is a conventional oil killer. We run amsoil in everything and change it twice a year. Amsoil has a very high NOAK volatility rating which means it doesn't break down and burn off as quick as other oils.

IntegrityGuy
03-02-2010, 12:28 PM
I thought you were only supposed to use SAE 30 or 40....

some people are saying they use 10w30. I was told not to use these because they have harmful detergents.... am i wrong???

Richard Martin
03-02-2010, 02:54 PM
I thought you were only supposed to use SAE 30 or 40....
some people are saying they use 10w30. I was told not to use these because they have harmful detergents.... am i wrong???

All of my manuals say to use 10w30. What is harmful about detergents?

This is what the inside of an engine looks like if you don't use detergent oils.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/Mustang/DSCN0361.jpg

This was common to see before they started using additive packages containing detergents in oil.

paulss
03-22-2010, 10:46 PM
I just picked up a John Deere 757 with only 350 hours on it and am considering running synthetic in the 25 hp Kawasaki. The operator's manual says to run JD Plus 50 15W-40 in the Hydrostatic Transmission and wheel motors. Is it OK to run Mobil One 15W-40 instead? If not, is there an alternative to the JD juice? Will it hurt anything if I run 10W-40 in it?

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Richard Martin
03-23-2010, 04:21 AM
I just picked up a John Deere 757 with only 350 hours on it and am considering running synthetic in the 25 hp Kawasaki. The operator's manual says to run JD Plus 50 15W-40 in the Hydrostatic Transmission and wheel motors. Is it OK to run Mobil One 15W-40 instead? If not, is there an alternative to the JD juice? Will it hurt anything if I run 10W-40 in it?

I can't tell you whether it safe is to use 10w40 in your hydro system or not but I can tell you what I do.

I have a Dixie Chopper. When this mower was purchased it was recommended that you use Dixie Chopper's proprietary oil VTC. Then Dixie decided that they like Lucas 15/40 High TBN Truck oil. Now Dixie appears to be having a spat of some sort with Lucas so who knows what the oil of choice will be tomorrow. That said, I use Mobil 1 15w50 in my Dixie and a whole lot of other people are using it too.

The issue of using the wrong weight oil comes into play when the hydro system is cold. The oil doesn't flow as well when it's cold. They size the hydro filters to match the oil.

As long as you stick to a synthetic that is right around the same range as the original you should be fine.

blake101
03-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Castrol conven. been using it for years, no problems.

Same Here......Works for me.. Is there any other oil???

Pennington Lawncare
03-23-2010, 07:26 AM
Amsoil small engine oil for the mower and Amsoil Saber for any 2 stroke equipment I have.

This thread is a prime example of why we need a sticky or forum subsection that points to previously talked about topics such as oils, trimmer line, etc.

pathfinder1810
03-23-2010, 11:21 AM
AMSOIL - Been using it for over 20 years in boats, Harleys, tractors, generators, handhelds, mowers with cheap Briggs, and all of my autos. 1986 Ford Diesel - over 286,000 miles (most of it pulling a gooseneck when I was farming) and only replaced the injection pump @126,000 and one rocker arm that apparently had a soft spot @ 200,000 miles. It was still running and not burning oil when I sold it. 1989 Dodge Cummins diesel that had 89,000 on it when I purchased, and then switched it over to Amsoil (and their Dual-remote Oil filter system) and sold it to a young rodeo fella when it had over 389,000 miles on it (half of them pulling a goose-neck horse trailer). I only replaced the turbo on this truck at around 300,000 miles, with no other type of internal engine repairs or oil consumption. A 1973 Boston Whaler with a 1982 70 hp Johnson (bought used in 1996) that I ran at least twice weekly for four years, and then sold and was still easy to start and ran like a dream. My current boat, which is a 2000 Pathfinder 1810 with a Yamaha 150 VMAX (2-cycle),has been ran on Amsoil since after the break in period. On two cycles, you will immediately notice a tremendous reduction in smoke. They also sell a waterproof grease that is great on your boat trailer bearings and is the only grease that I use anymore for anything. In the above mentioned road vehicles I would change the filter only at 5000 miles and then change the oil at 10,000 miles. Google their website (www.amsoil.com) and check out all of their products, including their outstanding filters. Lots of stuff these days isn't anything more than "snake oil", but Amsoil products work like no other that I have personally tried. You can become an Authorized Independent Dealer for a $25.00/year fee and purchase directly from the factory with quite a savings. It costs more than conventional on a per unit basis, but I'm convinced it saves a person considerably both monetarily (in repairs & time lost) and with headaches in the long run. And no, I don't make money selling this stuff (I've been an Independent Dealer since I discovered their products), but I do sell a lot of it to my friends at my delivered cost. I will be changing over to Amsoil in my new Bad Boy ZTR after break in.