PDA

View Full Version : tips for newbies.

lawnwizards
03-01-2010, 04:00 PM
mine would be to wear long t-shirts. i know, it sounds like it would get hot but its actually the complete opposite. another thing, it keeps you less exposed to the sun and its harmful rays. anyone else got any tips?

randy.

SangerLawn
03-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Keep a wet towel around your neck. It will help cool the blood that runs through your main artery in your neck cooling the rest of your body.

Also…do not mow around hornets nests :nono:…send your employees for that job :drinkup:

Danscapes
03-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Always wear a belt, and a good pair of pruners in the holster. A good pair of pruners is any lawn jockey/landscapers best friend.

1993lx172
03-01-2010, 04:54 PM
When it starts getting hotter stay away from soft drinks, energy drinks, and limit your intake of sports drinks. Water, iced tea, and fruit juices are a better choice for keeping yourself hydrated. When I was in marching band we were told that for every bottle of Gatorade, drink two of water and it worked.

Start earlier in the day and take a break for lunch during the hottest part of the day inside so that you and your guys can get a chance to cool off.

Always wear a hat or a bandanna, try ear plugs instead of the "ear muff" type.

SUN BLOCK SUN BLOCK SUN BLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pace your self on hot days.

That's all I got anyone else want to chime in?

JB1
03-01-2010, 04:57 PM
get cash anytime you can.

Darryl G
03-01-2010, 05:02 PM
There's a long running thread on tips for the new guy, probably the best thread on this whole site, started by the late Erik Erickson. Great guy!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=13339&highlight=tips

ProcsLC
03-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Dog treats in the truck... I think you can figure out why.

Burn Spray: sun burns, muffler burns, bee stings... Keep a can in the truck, some people are just prone to getting burnt and always find a way to do it.

basic tool kit and basic first aid kit... Always keep them on hand. Also, keep some kind of "who to contact" sheet in your vehicle, if your ever in a wreck (hope not) and are unresponsive people who find you will know what to do... List allergies, meds, who to call if found dead etc....

Business cards, sounds simple...but you would be amazed at how many people dont remember to do this.

Extra T-shirt or work shirt, for when "something" happens to the one your wearing and your about to go give an estimate to a new potential customer... Gotta look good on that first impression.

Thats all I got for now.

exmarksthespot
03-01-2010, 05:07 PM
About the t-shirts...

They don't look very cool (in terms of temperature or fashion) but Dickie's work shirts and pants that you can buy at Wal-Mart are very comfortable, very durable and look professional I think. I buy a few sets every season and they work great for me. YMMV.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
03-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Use a good accounting program and know your cost to operate before you bid the 1st job.
Don't borrow $$$$, but if you do, pay it back within 6mo., that is if you want to be around for next season.
view your P&L every week.

James

IN2MOWN
03-01-2010, 05:25 PM
For being outside in the summer I would recommend sunglasses, a 5 gallon water cooler constantly filled with ice and water, a nice tool kit, and a first aid kit.

Inside...a good routing/scheduling program and a good accountant.

jeffslawnservice
03-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Don't low ball just just to get work. If the customer doesn't want to pay for the normal price then you don't want them as a customer. I know it sounds stupid but it is true. When I first started out I had a lady who complained about the price when she received the estimate. So I lowered it. She was late paying and always wanted to negotiate the price for mowing. She wanted me to start coming every three weeks because the grass wasn't high enough to be mowed for her standards. The grass was over a foot tall when i got there. I cut the lawn that time knocked on the door told her she would be receiving a final bill from me because i would only cut the lawn weekly during the spring months and she didn't like that. Usually the customers who negotiate the price will be the PITA customers too.

lawnwizards
03-01-2010, 05:49 PM
There's a long running thread on tips for the new guy, probably the best thread on this whole site, started by the late Erik Erickson. Great guy!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=13339&highlight=tips

great thread but i wanna start one for people today. 90% of the people from that thread no longer post and the new guys cant really relate to them.

Darryl G
03-01-2010, 05:57 PM
great thread but i wanna start one for people today. 90% of the people from that thread no longer post and the new guys cant really relate to them.

Understood..still worth browsing some time though.