PDA

View Full Version : greasing bushings on anti-scalp wheels

williams lcm
03-01-2010, 04:21 PM
My double capture anti-scalp wheels are shot after 600hrs on machine. They wobble like crazy. Would they have lasted much longer if I had put some grease on the bushings every once in awhile? Thanks

SangerLawn
03-01-2010, 04:39 PM
I never seen grease nipples on anti scalp wheels (most are sealed bearings) so I don’t think it would have helped. I am more inclined to say you need to adjust them. Antiscalp wheels are not supposed to be riding on the ground. They should be hovering the ground and only be touching if there are bumps or going around a turn. They are only designed to keep the deck from hitting the ground on rough terrain not for the deck to rest on while mowing.

Darryl G
03-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Are you talking about your caster wheels or the anti-scalp wheels on the deck?

williams lcm
03-01-2010, 08:41 PM
No, I am talking about the anti-scalp wheels. I have them adjusted to the middle setting. I mean taking the bolt out and wiping grease on the bushing inside the wheel. So it will spin more freely. My last set wore the bushing so bad that is was then spinning on the screw holding the wheel. The bushing wore out and the center of the wheel was then twice the normal diameter. My new set of wheels and bushings are costing over $100. Thats for eight wheels and hardware.

SangerLawn
03-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Check your blade height compared to your deck hight. If your blades are set to high in your deck then your deck will be riding to low to the ground…as a result you will need to move your anti-scalping wheels to a higher setting. Hope this makes sence?

Ether way, put your deck at your normal mowing height while sitting on concrete or ashalt. Once your deck is lowered to your regular mowing height your anti-scalping wheels should be a MINIMUM of 1 inch on the ground.

Lets say your blades are set at 3 and half inches (when in mowing position), then the bottom of your deck should be 3inches from the ground…..next, your anti-scalping wheels should be around 1 and a half inches off the ground.

If you want to get technical, the front of your deck needs to be 1/8 to 1/2 inch lower then the back of your deck for the best striping.

Darryl G
03-02-2010, 12:32 AM
I run my anti scalp wheels all the way up. They hardly ever touch the ground. I find if I keep them lower they tend to dig on turns. Kinda defeats the purpose since they're suppsed to keep you from damaging turf.

But to answer the question, no I never grease them. I probably put some dry slide or something on them when I took them off to raise them. Most bushings aren't meant to be lubricated but really not sure if you're supposed to lube them. I'd think that grease on them would just attract dirt and make things worse.

bohiaa
03-02-2010, 01:14 AM
GENTLEMEN:

depending on mowing areas, anti scalp wheel attached to the deck should be set at 2"

DLCS
03-02-2010, 10:00 AM
You are talking about the one in the center of the deck right? Mine woble too and those are not adjustable on the 7 iron decks. My outer scalp wheels do woble soemtoo and yes they are adjusted right.

Years ago, JD put grease zerks on the outer scalp wheels of some of their yellow decks. This was back in the early 80's. Drill a hole in the center of the scalp wheel and tap it out for a grease zerk, easy to do. Can't hurt anything.

ALC-GregH
03-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I spray the anti-scalp rollers with Fluid Film every few weeks. They are close to 400hrs and are still tight like new. Grease will be hard to get into the rollers and would require dis-assembly to do it right. Too much work. Using grease fitting, the grease would have to be pumped in through the center of the bolt, and the bolt would require a small hole exiting the bolt in the center of the roller. Again, too much work for what can be done in a matter of seconds with a good spray lube. You can use any spray lube like white lithium spray lube, even WD40 will work, it just won't last nearly as long.

So to answer your question, NO on the grease (because of the time and mess factor) and yes, using a lubricant with make the rollers last much longer.

PS, I've been spraying the rollers on my Scag since new. 400hrs with zero slop.

Darryl G
03-02-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm not sure I get it. You guys are saying they wobble, suggesting they have prolonged contact with the ground. Sounds like you have them set so that the deck is riding on them rather than being supsended. What am I missing here?:confused:

DLCS
03-02-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm not sure I get it. You guys are saying they wobble, suggesting they have prolonged contact with the ground. Sounds like you have them set so that the deck is riding on them rather than being supsended. What am I missing here?:confused:

For me, mine wear to the point that they wobble, when you wiggle them back and fourth or on even ground. Does it effect the quality of mowing nope becasue they don't ride on the ground all the time.

grassious
08-03-2010, 09:19 PM
I use these wheels...they completly take care of the problem. There are bearings in the wheels. Zero Maintenance.. www.lawnwheels.com . There like $20 each..

Clark Griswold
08-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Keep them adjusted so they don't rattle around, I learned the hard way too!

topsites
08-04-2010, 12:15 AM
I have never replaced one of these, then again 75% of my mowers are fixed deck.

But to answer the question, as to whether it would help I couldn't say
but I don't think greasing would hurt it, at $100+ a shot it's worth a try?

soloscaperman
08-04-2010, 12:32 AM
I spray them with WD 40 every time I change the blades and scrap the deck. Spin them and spray it till there quite.

Richard Martin
08-04-2010, 06:14 AM
I wouldn't use grease on those. There is a whole lot of grit, sand and dirt flying around down there. Grease would actually give the dirt something to stick to and could wear out the antiscalp wheels even faster.